Crow Wing County 4-H
April 25th, 2023
Dog Project Orientation
Join the Crow Wing County 4-H Dog Project for the upcoming season!
The kick-off orientation meeting is on Tuesday, April 25th, 2023 starting at 6:00 p.m. Learn about the program, practice schedule, meet the trainers, and other youth participating.
For questions, please contact Erin Butler via email at email@example.com
Take Your Best Shot: Register for this year's Engineering Design Challenge
This year youth will use principles of engineering to create a Rube Goldberg machine that completes a 2-step task designed to Take Your Best Shot and create a celebration.
Participants will also have the option to showcase their designs in person on August 7th, 2023, at St. Cloud State University or virtually on August 15th, 2023.
Registration is due June 23rd. Learn more and register here.
Good afternoon 4-H'ers!
Crow Wing County 4-H Federation has set up a Youth Leadership Post Secondary Federation Scholarship and the application is open. The application deadline is May 1st, 2023. It is for current Crow Wing County MN 4-H’ers graduating from high school in 2023. Two (2) $250 scholarships will be awarded at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee.
Application can be found here.
Register for YELLO today! May 12 registration deadline
Statewide offering | Grades 7+
The Minnesota 4-H State Ambassadors are excited to announce that the 2023 YELLO leadership conference will take place June 13 - 16 at Bemidji State University!
Youth Exploring Leadership and Learning Opportunities (YELLO) is a 4-H leadership conference for youth in grades 7+ that prepares youth to learn and lead in their communities. YELLO is planned and facilitated by the Minnesota 4-H State Ambassadors.
What happens at YELLO?
This annual event aims to engage youth in building leadership skills, developing positive relationships with peers and adults, and planning how to take future action.
- Youth-led leadership learning: The State Ambassadors select a leadership-related topic to focus on for the year. They engage with topical experts and/or practitioners to gain a deeper understanding of the related research and then build age-appropriate lessons to deliver during the event.
- Service and education: Participants engage in hands-on service to learn about civic responsibility while also making positive contributions to the community. This year’s service focus is on food insecurity.
- Deep dives and workshops: Youth engage with the campus and/or community to learn deeply about special topics while gaining understanding of potential future careers, academic programs, or other opportunities for engagement in 4-H and beyond.
- Exploring Bemidji: Youth will get an opportunity to have some fun in the community! This could include seeing local attractions, attending arts and cultural events, or visiting other entertainment venues.
- Social events: Youth will be able to network with one another in fun ways. In the past, this has included talent shows, game nights, dances, etc.
Registration for YELLO is open as of April 1st. The cost to attend YELLO is $275, with an additional $50 fee for opting in to ride the bus. Register via 4-H Online.
Plan ahead - Ask the Extension office about what scholarships may be available to you!
NE 4-H Camp @ Long Lake Conservation Center
Regional Offering | Grades 3-6
Youth in grades 3-6 are invited to join us as we explore nature through games, camp songs and hands-on activities. Join us for three days and two nights of adventure at the beautiful Long Lake Conservation Center in Palisade. June 28th - 30th. Register in 4-H Online.
Great Seed Mystery 4-H Project Kit
Statewide offering | Grades 3+
Registration is open through May 1st. Discover and uncover the unknown world of seeds by registering for The Great Mystery Seed 4-H Project Kit. Uncover clues to identify various seeds from the different growing zones across Minnesota. Youth will use detective skills and tools to solve the great seed mystery. The 4-week virtual series will be held on Mondays, June 5, 12, 19, and 26 from 5 to 5:45 p.m The fee is $5 and will be paid through 4-H Online. Each participant will receive a kit with mystery seeds, a journal, and a support guide.
State Arts-In 50th Anniversary!
Statewide offering | Grades 9+
This year, State Arts-In will celebrate its 50th anniversary. This year's participants will put together a very special show with lots of alumni support and appearances throughout the experience.
Youth in grades 9+ can be a part of this community of young adults. They will put together a show, develop new skills, and grow in leadership, teamwork and goal setting. This event will take place on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, Aug. 10 - 17 and Aug. 22 - Sept. 4.
Registrants will rank their choices of "majors" to participate in: band, tech, costuming, and performing. Directors will make final selections of major choices.
Those who register by June 30 will receive a $50 discount.
Registration and program details can be found at z.umn.edu/statearts-in.
Curious about Crop Scouting?
Curious what crop scouting is all about? Interested, but have questions? No clue what crop scouting means?
We'd like to start a team, but just don't know how. If any of these questions resonate with you, make sure to join us on Wednesday, May 17 at noon, 3:30 p.m., or 7:30 p.m. to learn more about crop scouting.
Sign up by May 16 to get a reminder and the email link.
If none of these times work, no problem. Sign up and we'll send you the webinar recording.
- Dog PDC | April 25th, 2023 from 6-7p.m.
- Junior Lock-in | April 28th-29th from 5:30p.m.-3:00p.m. | Lake Edward Town Hall
Events and news are separated into county items and regional/statewide items. Please click on each of the links to view county and statewide events.
Extension Office/Window Hours
Monday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm
Tuesday: No office/window hours
Wednesday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday: 8:00 - 4:30 pm
Friday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm