The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of February 22, 2016
How does thinking like a scientist help us understand our world?
Lesson Plans Due - Benchmark Window OPENS
Monday, Feb. 22nd, 8:30am
- All F&P & Math Benchmark data is due on 3/11. Subs will be arranged throughout the week of 2/29...stay tuned for updates!
Multi-Cultural Club Performance - Grades 1 & 2
Thursday, Feb. 25th, 1:30-2pm
The Curriculum Corner: Growing Independent Writer's, Part 3
Once the tools are accessible (and proper use is modeled - after all, we don't want a revolving door of students at the center), we must explicitly communicate our expectations to our students & provide strategies to support the writing process. In other words, what does writing "long & strong" look like? Consider creating an anchor chart that includes the steps listed below (and don't forget to have your class experts model during an initial mini-lesson!). As the year progresses, this can be revisited if necessary during a mini-lesson, small-group conference or a 1-1 "expectations" conference!
- Write - Tell your story across your fingers!
- Revise - Add details; Check for mistakes
- Assess - Review your checklists!
- Start a New Piece - Review/update your seed notebook; What tools do I need; How will I plan?
Don't forget to share some ways you are growing independent writers in your classroom via social media, email or in the footer of the Buzz!
The Writing Center
Here is an excellent example of what was described in last week's edition of the Curriculum Corner!
Words to Inspire
Authors at Work
1st Grade is working with nonfiction text features during the writer's workshop!
News & Notes
- Our weekly 3rd Grade Math PD sessions will be starting on Wednesday (2/24) at 3:00 in the demo room. If you have any questions regarding our meetings, just let me know!
- STEAM Team/Hollybush STARS Update: I will be meeting with the business department next week to finalize everything. The program will be resuming on Tuesday, March 1st. Please have unit plans prepared. I would like to meet on Friday the 26th at 2:45 to review everything.
You're the Best...Quotes from the Staff!
- Kassie, you’re the best for making all the math copies for us. It was very much appreciated!
- Thank you to Mel for the Guided Reading notes format. It is a lot easier to use!
- Thanks to Carol and Joan and the SOS committee for organizing and setting up the great luncheon. It was enjoyed by all!
- Thanks to Karen DeFrank for always being willing to help and all that you do for our students
- Thanks to all of our aides- your dedication and hard work are an integral to our school
- Thanks Kassie for being awesome to work with!! You are such an important member of our second grade team!!
- Thanks Carol and Joan for all you ladies do!!! You are truly the best!!
- Joan and Carol for all they do for the SOS Committee! Thanks for a great luncheon!
- Thank you to Aileen for sharing!
- Thanks to Mel Storey for taking care of me at the In- Service!
- Thank you to all those who helped make DOT week a success!
- 02/04 - Faculty Meeting (3:00 PM, Media Center)
- 02/05 - African American Read-in/Real Men Read Visit
- 02/10 - Grade 1 Dot Day (9:30, Gymnasium) & Bulldog Buddies Meeting
- 02/11 - Rodgers Family Valentine's Dance
- 02/12 - Inservice Day
- 02-16 - SIT Meeting: ELA Units
- 02/18 - One-One PLC (Chapters 4-6) & CAST Paperwork DUE
- 02/19 - Bulldog Buddies Universal Reward - Fall in Love with Reading!
- 02/25 - CAST Meetings
- 02/26 - Star Student Luncheon & Multi-Cultural Club Performance