October 12 - 16 at Central Elementary
Teachers Collaborate on School Improvement
Plan Proving Positive
In another instance I received an email from a parent wanting to make me aware of the "awesome staff I have at Central" and specifically mentioning how two other staff members worked to help her child overcome anxieties about school during the past two weeks. I appreciate the camaraderie and spirit of cooperation staff members are investing as proven by their actions to support our students and each other. Please keep up the great work. I know these are only a fraction of the great interactions between staff and students.
The other situation where help is needed involves the recent confirmed report of viral meningitis. I am sure you have all had the opportunity to read Mrs. Halabicky's communications and suggestions from the Genesee County Health Department and CDC regarding preventative measures we can take. The biggest help is not always convenient but it is necessary! Washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds is the most effective way to reduce the spread of viruses. Anti-bacterial sanitizers are not effective because they do not contain a high enough alcohol content (for safety reasons) to kill viruses.
While taking your students to the restroom a few times a day and teaching and re-teaching hand-washing techniques may take some extra time, the time students are sick also takes a toll on learning and public health. The time you take to teach life skills to your kiddos could reduce the occurrence of some nasty germs making headway into our school and community. Please know your efforts are important in the fight to reduce the incidence of illness and keep us all healthy! Thanks so much for your continued efforts!
Cardinal Code Focus for the Week of October 12-16: Restrooms A great time to reinforce hand-washing!
Summer Reading Challenge Celebration
Safety Patrol About to Begin
This Week at Central
- Columbus Day
Tuesday, October 13
- PLC Grades 1-4 (Data organization...share ranking of student needs by class and grade level based on DIBELS and STAR Math for Grades 2-4; DIBELS and 1st assessment on adds to 10 for Grade 1)
- Patrol Luncheon Group 1 with Mr. Kennedy
- DESA CMC 1-3:30 PM (Lance @ Admin. Blgd.)
Wednesday, October 14
- Staff Meeting 7:35 - 8:10 AM (Agenda: ACC Update- Monica, 5 min.; Evaluation Process & Question Update - Lance,5 min.; Review of SW Behavior Plan Progress...What's working, what needs tweaking or adjustment- Maida & staff, 20 min; Staff comment or future considerations - teachers, 10 min.)
- Patrol Luncheon Group 2 with Mr. Kennedy
Thursday, October 15
- SI Leadership Meeting in conference Room (7:40-8:10)/Topic: SI Budget Review
- Author Visit in Library/Schedule: Previously sent by C. Higgerson & R. Duckworth. Be sure to let her know if there is a major problem. Suggestion to flip Grade 1 and two due to para schedule has been made (Good catch, Kelly!)
- Admin. Mtg. 9:30 - noon; Lance @ admin. in AM
- CAP 1-4 PLC from 2-3:20 PM...(Data organization...share ranking of student needs by class and grade level based on DIBELS and STAR Math for Grades 2-4; DIBELS and 1st assessment on adds to 10 for Grade 1)
Friday, October 16
- Michigan/Michigan State Day - Jean/Jersey Day & Social Committee Luncheon "tailgate"
- Reminder to publish Halloween parade & party details in your weekly classroom newsletter
- Oct. 19...DRA FAll Window; Subs for Grade 1 only, Grade 2-4 assess below or approaching grade level only (no subs); ACC (4:15-6:15 PM) Melissa, Monica and Lance
- Oct. 20...Table of Honor Recognition during all lunch hours; PTO @ 6 PM
- Oct. 22...Principals' Mtg. ; Blueberry Ambassadors' Luncheon
- October 26...Suggested date for completion of DRA
- October 27...Supt. bldg. visit
- Oct. 28...Staff Meeting 7:35-8:15 AM - (Agenda: DEF Presentation; Halloween Parade & Party Update; ACC Update); CAP PLC Grades 1-4
- Oct. 29...CST Meetings
- Oct. 30...DRA window closes; Halloween Parade & Celebrations
- Nov. 1...Daylight Savings Time ends (fall back 1-hour!)
- Nov. 2...Parapro CMC from 4:15 - 6:15 (Lance)
- Nov. 3...Election Day; Data Day: Grade 3 AM & Grade 1 PM
- Nov. 4...Staff Meeting- (Agenda: P/T Conferences, ACC Update; Behavior Committee & PPSC Update); Data Day: Grade 4 AM 7 Grade 2 PM
- Nov. 5...Team Leader Meeting from 7:40 - 8:10 AM; Admin. Mtg. (9:30-Noon) Lance
- Nov. 6...No School for Students; Teacher PD 8:30-11:30 AM; Possible Para-pro PD in AM; Teacher Work Day PM-Teachers may complete PM work at home.
- Nov. 10...PLC Grades 1-4; PTO Meeting 6 PM in library
- Nov. 11...Veterans Day; P/T Conferences 5-8 PM (full day of school for students)
- Nov. 12...P/T Conferences (8:30-11:30, 12:30-3:30;5-8)/No school for students
- Nov. 13...No school for students or staff (conf. comp. day for teachers)
- Nov. 17...Grade 3 Music Concert; CSTs TBD
- Nov. 19...Principals' Mtg. in AM; CSTs 8:30 - 1:45; CAP PLC 2-3:20 PM
- Nov. 24...PLC Grades 1-4
- Nov. 25...Staff Meeting 7:35 - 8:15 AM
- Nov. 26 -27...Thanksgiving Break/ No school
The Importance of Reteaching
- What impact on student learning might such a system or reteaching and/or enrichment have at Central Elementary?
- What would we need to do to implement such a system in our building?
Try to think in terms of "brainstorming ideas." Let your mind be open to possibilities rather than be constrained by limits.