Blood Tissue

By Emma Roseman

What is Blood Tissue?

Blood Tissue is a connective tissue that works to perform many different functions in the body.

What does Blood Tissue DO?

Functions of the blood tissue include:

-Transports oxygen and carbon dioxide for disposal and delivery

- Helps keep pH normal and the body's temperature normal

-Removes wastes

-Transports hormones

Big image

FUN Facts

*Blood is sticky and red because it contains red blood cells.


*If blood was put in a centrifuge (a machine that separates fluids) it would separate into three different parts: Erythrocytes (red blood cells), the buffy coat (gray substance made up of leukocytes and blood platelets), plasma (clear liquid that has over 100 different substances such as vitamins and bodily fluids)


*White blood cells (Leukocytes) are the defense army in the blood tissue.

Our bone marrow makes and releases new blood cells regularly replacing the old ones.

Big image
Big image

Structures and Functions

Where in the body is Blood tissue?

Blood tissue is found inside blood vessels (arteries, venules, veins) and also inside the chamber of the heart. Some white blood cells are found in other types of body tissues. Example: lymphocytes are also found in lymphatic system
Big image

Structure

Blood consists of many components such as:

-55% plasma

-45% components/ Blood cells (99% of these are red blood cells and the other 1% is white blood cells)

DESCRIPTIONS

Red Blood Cells

erythrocytes is a disc-shape cell with no nuclei. They contain hemoglobin which is what gives blood its red color.

White Blood Cells

leucocytes appear to be solid instead of transparent, which means one cannot see through them. They serve many different functions in the body's immune system.

Blood Platelets

thrombocytes are small disc-shaped bodies that also do not have a nuclei. Their job is blood clotting, gathering at areas of injury.

Plasma

Blood plasma is pale colored liquid that contains blood cells. It is 90% water and the rest being dissolved substances such as, food for body's cells, waste and CO2, antibodies, and hormones.