3L Weekly News
Week Ending February 12, 2016
Room Mom Information
THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL VALENTINE'S DAY PARTY!
Please click the link below to see pictures Mrs. Blackburn took during the party. She uploaded them to dropbox.com, so we call all view them. Thanks Mrs. Blackburn!
Prepping the Geometry foldable.
We measured the paper and split it into equal parts to make the flaps.
Making the Geometry foldable
Categorizing and matching shapes with descriptions.
This week in...
We began our next story which is a legend titled Yonder Mountain A Cherokee Legend The story is about a Cherokee tribe looking for a new chief and the “tests” three men go through in order to become chief.
During this story, we reviewed vocabulary terms and worked on the target skill: compare and contrast and the strategy: analyze/evaluate.
Please continue to reinforce the concept of compare and contrast with your child. We created hand motions in order to help each student remember the definitions of compare and contrast.
To compare we pushed our hands together and to contrast (differences) we pulled our hands apart.
We completed written responses based on this story and graphic organizers.
We used straws to review turns and angles.
Students learned how to measure angles by identifying the degrees and types of rotations.
They learned the vocabulary words acute and obtuse to describe angles.
We reviewed term symmetry and learned that when something is symmetrical it is the same (or has a mirror image) on both sides of the line of symmetry.
We learned to cut the irregular shapes into smaller pieces, typically a square or rectangle) to find the area.
Additionally, we spent time finding the area and perimeter of irregular shapes.
We wrapped up our activities with quadrangles by categorizing and designing robots using different polygons. Be sure to check out some of the pictures above!
We redrafted our essays to ensure they were more focused with organized paragraphs and had the audience in mind.
We reviewed narrative writing by making creative narrative stories using candy hearts for Valentine's Day.
- The next Word Study Assessment will be on Tuesday, February 23rd (Day 6)
- We continued to work on our Me on the Map activity.
- We're outlining and coloring the maps and they look fabulous!
- We began testing the unknowns with water and will finish this week.
Habit of the Month: Habit 5 Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
This month we will focus on Habit 5: Think First to Understand, Then to be Understood. We are focusing on the skill of listening (especially during tough times or times when we don’t necessarily agree!).
Habit 5 — Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
Listen Before You Talk
I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas. I look people in the eyes when talking.
Mrs. Simkus encourages your child to nominate him/herself when they have successfully used this skill. She also encourages you to nominate your child or another Central School student.
Students will be learning more about this in their classrooms.
**Please refer to Shannon's e-mail from Wednesday, 1/27/16 for the nomination slips.
Scholastic Book Orders: orders are in and will be provided to students on Wednesday.
Multiplication: It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
Absences/Late: Always include email@example.com on all emails regarding absence, early dismissal or late arrival. This email is checked frequently throughout the day.
Vocabulary: Vocabulary for each story in Journeys can be found on my eBoard under the Language Arts tab. The red tabs are sectioned by lesson (example: L1 is Lesson 1 etc.). Vocabulary can also be found in the Journeys textbook or online textbook (before the reading selection).
Strings Make Up Work: Please keep in mind that your child will be missing instructional time when he or she attends strings. Any work that he or she miss will be expected to be made up.
Birthdays: If your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday, please contact me so we can set up a date to celebrate! See my eBoard for more details.
Student Logins: If students forget their Journeys Textbook click this link for the website. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed on the website. The login information is also in the front of your child's planner book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
Check This Out!
**My eBoard has loads of resources on it under the Math Tab. Be sure to check it out! We're studying Geometry (Unit 6) currently.
1.Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- The link can be found on my eBoard under the PARCC/Teach tab.
Student Council Activities
Thank you for all of your donations to the Student Council Toy Drive!
Central Events: January and February
Central Events: February
Thursday, February 25
- 3:30pm 5th Grade Talent Show
- 7:30pm 5th Grade Talent Show
Monday, February 29
- 8:30am Read Across America
Specials This Week
Monday no school.
Tuesday no school.
Wednesday is a Day 2:
Thursday is a Day 3:
- Health and Gym
Friday is a Day 4:
- Spanish and Strings
Guest Read Aloud Schedule
- Jennifer Cittadini Wednesday, October 14 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Beth Wassall Wednesday, October 21 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Nicole Ventrella Tuesday, October 27 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Emmie Goldenbaum-Cook Thursday, November 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Mia Levine or Eric Huebl: Friday, November 20 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Barker Monday, November 23 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Stefanie Kist: Wednesday, December 2 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dana Mower: Monday, December 7 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jeff Tucker Tuesday, January 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Susan Gordon: Tuesday, January 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Grega : Friday, January 22 @ 2:40
- Robin Landis: Friday, February 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dori Shields: Monday, February 22 @2:40
- Barbara Cavacini: Thursday, February 25 @ 2:40
- Heather Tucker: Friday, March 4 @ 2:40
- Debbie Wolschina: Friday, March 11 @ 2:40
- Shannon Simkus: Tuesday, March 29 @ 2:40
- Sara Blackburn: Tuesday, April 5 @ 2:40
- Sharon Dominco: Wednesday, April 13 @ 2:40
- Mary Beth Smith: Tuesday,May 10 @ 2:40
- Carol Cox: Friday, June 10 @ 2:40
Star of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Natalie Sept. 28-Oct.2 (completed)
2. Diego October 5-9 (completed)
3. Katie October 12-16 (completed)
4. Isaiah October 26-30 (completed)
5. Blair November 9-13 (completed)
6. Caden November 16-20 (completed)
7. Nathan November 30-Dec. 4 (completed)
8. Eliza January 4-8 (completed)
9. Caroline January 11-15 (completed)
10. Bryson January 25-29 (completed)
11. Vienna February 1-5 (completed)
12. Dayne February 22-26
13. Libby February 29-Mar.4
14. Derrick March 7-11
15. Lindsey March 14-18
16. Diana March 29- April 1
17. Molly April 4-8
18. Liam April 11-15
19. Elena April 25-29
20. William May 2-6
21. Joey May 16-20
22. Christopher June 6-10
Poet of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Libby Friday, October 2 (completed)
2. Liam Friday, October 9 (completed)
3. Diana Friday, October 16 (completed)
4. Vienna Friday, October 30 (completed)
5. Lindsey Friday, November 13 (completed)
6. Derrick Friday, November 20
7. Molly Friday, December 4 (completed)
8. Elena Friday, December 11 (completed)
9. Natalie Friday, January 8 (completed)
10. Joey Friday, January 15 (completed)
11. William Friday, January 29 (completed)
12. Isaiah Friday, February 12 (completed)
13. Katie Friday, February 19
14. Christopher Friday, February 26
15. Blair Friday, March 4
16. Diego Friday, March 18
17. Caden Friday, April 1
18. Nathan Friday, April 15
19. Eliza Friday, May 6
20. Caroline Friday, May 13
21. Bryson Friday, May 27
22. Dayne Friday, June 10