The Paw Print Parent Newsletter
Klein High School, August 2017 Back to School Edition
The Principal's Message
Dear Klein High Parents and Students,
Welcome back, Bearkats! We cannot wait to get the 2017-2018 school year started with you in just a few weeks. We are so very excited to see all of our students, and we extend a warm welcome to our incoming ninth graders and new students. Welcome to the Klein High family!
The work that we accomplished last year has set us up for great things this year and beyond. As a district, we adopted the Promise2Purpose vision, aligning all of our arrows in the same direction to ensure that EVERY student enters with a promise and exits with a purpose. We have vowed to achieve this vision by focusing on 5 key areas: Pathways, Challenge, Equity, Leadership, and Continuous Improvement. As a school, we worked eagerly with faculty, students, and community members to establish our “why” and recalibrate our core values. Through stakeholder input and feedback, we are we are elated to share that Klein High School’s five core values are Empathy ★ Gratitude ★ Integrity ★Perseverance ★ and Service, also known as our #Klein5! We are enthusiastic about all of the new possibilities that this year holds, and look forward to walking this journey together as a community.
Another exciting change to the start of this school year is Klein ISD’s new Family OnBoarding resource! This parent toolkit contains an array of important information all in one location! Here you will answer questions such as: What bus will my child ride? How do I load money onto my child’s account? How do I complete the online enrollment process? What is Promise2Purpose?, and more! Also included in this resource is a step-by-step guide on how to complete the mandatory, online student enrollment process via Skyward Family Access. All Klein ISD families, either returning or new, will need to complete this important step by Saturday, August 19 to ensure a smooth start and schedule pickup for your student on the first day of school.
As we gear up for the new school year, we would like to inform you of upcoming activities and events scheduled in the near future at Klein High School. In addition to the dates below, please reference our website and links for important dates on all things sports, activities, and the arts!
Tuesday, August 8: Freshman/New Student Orientation- We are welcoming our new Bearkats with open arms from 9am-12:30 pm at Klein High School! New students will have the opportunity to learn about all things Klein High, tour the school, check out club & organization opportunities, and more. Although this is an event solely for students due to Auditorium capacity, we invite our parents to an optional Q&A session in the cafeteria with our administration to answer any back to school questions that you may have.
Monday, August 21: The First Day of School- The first day of an awesome year! Schedule pass out will be located in the gym, and will start at 6:45. Don’t know where the gym is? Don’t panic, just follow the crowd! Also, many adults will be available to help assist you in finding your classes. Student pin numbers will be printed on student schedules for easy lunch food access. IDs will be made available to all new students both at new student orientation and throughout the first week.
Monday, September 4: Labor Day Holiday, No School
Tuesday, September 5: Klein High School Open House- Join us for a multi-faceted Open House experience! Our parent awareness presentation, Wise Up, will be held in the Auditorium from 6:15-6:30 pm. Classroom visits and informational sessions will start at 6:45 and end at 8:00 pm. Further information will come home with students soon.
Monday, September 11: School Picture Day- Informational flyer will come home with students soon.
Friday, October 6: Homecoming Game vs. Memorial @Klein Memorial Stadium, 7:00 pm
Please contact us at 832-484-4001 if you have any questions regarding any of the above information.
On behalf of the faculty and staff of Klein High School, welcome back! We look forward to seeing all of our Bearkats soon!
Jessica Haddox, Klein High School Principal
Check Out the Video Below for Family OnBoarding Details!
KLEIN HIGH SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION
- Mr. Johnnie Hayes: School Administration; 832-484-4102; email@example.com; Office 122
- Ms. Debbie Pennington: Curriculum & Inst.; 832-484-4103; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 110
Assistant Principals (Serves Students w/the Last Names, Number, Email, Office)
- Mr. Brandon Baker: A-B; 832-484-4093; email@example.com; Office 250
- Ms. Jaren Bollinger: TB-Z; 832-484-4042; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 425
- Mr. Gary Brain: LI-NE; 832-484-4410; email@example.com; Office 627
- Ms. Melanie Bujnoch: HB-LE; 832-484-4107; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 325
- Mr. Greg Corradino: (Testing Coordinator) 832-484-4110; email@example.com; Office 110
- Ms. Sarah Deckard: (Behavior Specialist) 832-484-4109; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 225
- Ms. Alicia Eichhorn: NG-ROC; 832-484-4104; email@example.com; Office 450
- Ms. Renee Miller: EM-HA; 832-484-4025; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 225
- Mr. Blake Muskiet: C-EL; 832-484-4101; email@example.com; Office 350
- Mr. Jason Ovalle: ROD-TA; 832-484-4106; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 105
SOME HANDBOOK CHANGES TO NOTE...
A. Cell phones:
- Cell phones will now be permitted during passing periods, before & after school, and during lunches. As always, cell phones are prohibited in the classroom, unless approved by the teacher that day for learning purposes. Cell phones out in prohibited classroom areas will be confiscated.
- Jeans may now have holes as long as the holes are below mid-thigh and/or not a distraction.
- Hair must be clean and well-groomed. Various hair styles and colors (including natural and unnatural) may be permitted so long as they are not distracting/disturbing to the learning environment.
- Facial hair is now allowed. It must be neatly groomed and styled in a way that is not distracting and may not reach a length greater than 1/2 inch.
C. All Things Grading & Classes:
- Grading Periods will now be 9 weeks long versus 6. There will be a total of 4 grading periods.
- Pre-AP drops may only occur after Progress Reports are issued. The teacher, student, and parent must conference regarding drop; once conferenced, information will be sent to Mrs. Pennington for final approval.
- The Grading System will no longer include D's. 90-100 will be an A, 80-89 will be a B, 70-79 will be a C, 0-69 an F.
D. Exam Exemptions Requirements are now as follows:
- Have no more than 6 absences in the school year in the class for which an exemption is being requested.
- Have no more than 3 absences in a semester class (spring only, no exemptions in the fall) for which an exemption is being requested.
- Any student qualifying for an exemption must attend the class during the final exam in order to maintain the exemption unless the student has less than 6 (full-year) or 3 absences (spring only) as noted above.
- Have not been placed in ISS, DAEP, or suspended out of school in either the first or second semester.
- Have maintained a conduct grade of E, S, or N during both the first and second semesters in the class for which they are seeking an exemption.
- A student's laptop and textbook records for all subjects must be clear before any final exam exemption is awarded.
*Please contact your child's administrator if you have any questions regarding the student handbook. Handbooks will be avaliable online in the month of August.
KLEIN HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELORS
- Ms. Kelly Bonin: JOP-K (Lead Counselor); 832-484-4021; email@example.com; Office 127
- Mr. Jose Cardenas: A-BOR; 832-484-4022; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 250
- Ms. Brandi Flaherty: GANT-HO; 832-484-4024; email@example.com; Office 325
- Ms. Paula Georgiana: DAO-GAMEZ; 832-484-4020; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 127
- Ms. Claudia Harmon: L-MEN; 832-484-4171; email@example.com; Office 127
- Ms. My Huynh: BOS-DAN; 832-484-4353; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 350
- Ms. Jennifer Lange: MER-PEREZ; 832-484-4030; email@example.com; Office 425
- Ms. Melissa Parish: TI-Z; 832-484-4032; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 425
- Ms. Stephanie Renfrow: SC-TH; 832-484-4006; email@example.com; Office 450
- Ms. Meghan Studer: PERK-SA; 832-484-4033; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 450
- Ms. Sue Weatherton: HOA-JONES; 832-484-4023; email@example.com; Office 325
- Ms. Dallas Bertasz: A-K; 832-484-4045; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 127
- Ms. Dawn Kirk: L-Z; 832-484-4035; email@example.com; Office 127
- Ms. Cassandra Clevenger: JOI-RE; 832-484-4158; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 124
- Ms. Gina Hawkins: D-JOH; 832-484-4155; email@example.com; Office 124
- Ms. Katy Keener: A-C; 832-484-4162; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 124
- Ms. Kimberly Lassinger: RI-Z; 832-484-4161; email@example.com; Office 124
- Ms. Jodi Lea: Developmental/Transition; 832-484-4007; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 124
Ms. Judi Herold: 832-484-4123
Ms. Diana Case; 832-484-4036; email@example.com; Office 225
Please note that all KISD schools have extended the school day by 10 minutes for the 17-18 school year. School will start at 7:25 (5 minutes later) and will end at 2:45.
Click here to access the bell schedule!
BEARKAT FINE ARTS
Important Dates to Note:
- October 14 - Lone Star Marching Contest: Woodforest Bank Stadium
- October 24 - UIL Marching Contest: Woodforest Bank Stadium
- October 28 - Pridgeon Processional Marching Contest: Cy-Fair ISD
- December 5 - Non-Varsity Holiday Band Concert: Klein Auditorium
- December 7 - Music Dept Holiday Concert: Klein Auditorium
- August 9-10 Auditions for the fall show “Still Life with Iris”
- September 21, 22, 23, & 25 – Fall show performances @ 7:00 pm
- September 27-29 – Musical Auditions
- Klein HS Orchestra Welcome Meeting: Friday, August 18th 6:30pm to 8:30pm @ KHS Performing Arts Center
- Back to School Bash: Saturday, August 26th 1:00pm to 3:00pm @ Klein High School
- Non-Varsity Fall Concert: Tuesday, October 10th 7:00pm @ KHS Performing Arts Center
- Varsity Fall Concert: Wednesday, October 11th 7:00pm @ KHS Performing Arts Center
- Orchestra Picture Day: Tuesday, October 24th All-Day during orchestra period
JUST A REMINDER...
Please assist us in the handling of custody related issues. It is the responsibility of the parents to provide the principal a certified copy of the court order affecting any other person’s right to their children.
Parent Contact Information:
Also, please notify your child’s principal, nurse, and the Registrar’s office during the school year if any changes are to be made to the registration/enrollment card that you fill out the first week of school. It is important to update addresses, phone numbers and any other pertinent information that would affect the school notifying you in the event of an emergency. Please ensure you have updated email addresses and telephone numbers on file with registrar as this allows the school to communicate with you in the event of an emergency. Should you have any questions, please call Ms. Haddox at 832-484-4099.