Weekly Update September 7th
Takiyah Benson, Assistant Principal
Richard Petroske, Assistant Principal
Ann Ferkler, 8th Grade Counselor
Kia McKinney, 7th Grade Counselor
David Gibbons, 6th Grade Counsleor
A message from Mr. Shepler:
I hope everyone had an enjoyable Labor Day weekend. As we get ready to begin the school year virtually, I again want to ask for patience and flexibility. Please know that we will be offering the same to our students. The first week of school will be focused on working on structures and routines, establishing relationships, and making sure both students and staff find some comfort with virtual instruction. Our "Test the System" event seemed to go well here at Lockerman Middle School so I am hopeful that all will run smoothly on Tuesday. Please make sure your child is actively checking their CCPS gmail account for invites to Google Classrooms and Zoom links to access virtual instruction.
We look forward to seeing your student in our Zoom classrooms come Tuesday morning. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me directly.
Student Schedule Overview
* For our A day/B day schedule, Monday and Thursday will always be A days. Tuesday and Friday will always be B days. Wednesdays (asynchronous) will alternate between A day and B day. Wednesday, Sept. 9th is an A day so the following Wednesday will be a B day and so on. With Wednesday being an asynchronous day, students will not have live Zoom instruction and just need to complete assignments given within their Google Classroom.
* Morning announcements begin at 7:45 AM. Your child can log into their first period teachers Zoom classroom at this time. There is a Google Classroom created for morning announcements that all staff and students will be able to access. Invites to this Google Classroom have been sent out. Included in the morning announcements will be a Bitmoji Pledge of Allegiance, staff/student birthdays, important announcements for students, and shout outs to staff/students. A Google slide presentation will be used to deliver this information.
* Period 6 on the schedule is for our Focus period. Focus is a period of time for enrichment and interventions. Focus will not begin until Monday, Sept. 14th. For this first week back, students are to report back to their first period teacher at 1:30 PM for Focus time. As soon as our counselors finish scheduling students for Focus, your child will receive a Google Classroom invite from their Focus teacher. You can also check on PowerSchool to see their updated schedule.
* The student day ends at 2:30 PM. On the schedule you will see a period of flex time from 2:15-2:30. If your child needs additional assistance, our teachers will be available during flex time to help. Flex time is used for students to wrap up their day. Emailing teachers, organizing themselves for the next day, finishing up daily assignments, etc. Teachers will be available via Zoom as well.
I encourage all parents to sit down with your child and go through each of their teachers Google Classrooms with them. All teachers should have a class syllabus to review and information that is specific to their class.
Meet the Teacher
I hope everyone had the chance to view our Flipgrid "Meet the Teacher" videos that were sent out on Friday, September 4th. If you have not yet viewed the, here are the links:
6th grade teachers- flipgrid.com/7016ebd4
7th grade teachers- flipgrid.com/749a9971
8th grade teachers- flipgrid.com/9b7d723c
Unified arts/PE/health- flipgrid.com/6db66166
Other valuable staff- flipgrid.com/81cb81fd
Laptop and Supply Distribution
For those who have picked up laptops, there are a few things you need to know:
* The password to get into the computer is "learn". Make sure you select the owl icon. A half sheet of paper with these directions were placed in the dry erase pockets we handed out.
* If you receive an error message while browsing the internet for the first time, try restarting the computer to resolve the issue.
* If you need tech assistance please email support.ccpsstaff.org.
Parent PowerSchool Login Information
Caroline County Public Schools provides access to student information for parents through PowerSchool Parent Single Sign On. Students' attendance, grades, and schedules can be viewed through Power School. Follow these directions if you have not set up your Parent PowerSchool account yet.
The first time you go to the sign in screen, http://carolinecps.powerschool.com, you will need to click on the button "Create Account" and fill in the information about yourself as a PARENT.
After you successfully create your account you will add your students to your list by entering your child's:
(If your child does not know their Access ID and Password please email their counselor and she will give you this information.)
District Code: HJQD
You may enter information for up to 7 students when creating your account. Once you have your account created, you will use the User Name and Password you created for yourself to log in and view information for all students you have added to your account.
You can also download the Power School App on your phone!
Student PowerSchool Login Information
Your account has confidential information about you which others cannot access unless you share your login name and password, therefore, do not share your login information. Your parents can also have their own login name and password to see your information.
The district code for the Mobile App is: HJQD.
If you need your Login Name and Login Password please email your counselor or support at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Information Update Forms
New from the Nurse
I hope everyone is looking forward to starting our new school year, even though we are planning a different kind of opening. The health room staff has been busy planning for the opening of school and the return of our wildcats, even in phases. I want to inform everyone of a few key details in preparation of school opening. I feel strongly that by working together, we will be successful.
1. Immunizations- 7th grade students are still expected to have the state required immunizations prior to the start of seventh grade. We know that many children have not had recent well child care due to the pandemic, doctors offices are scheduling well child care at this time. Please contact your child's physician and determine if immunizations are needed. 7th graders need a Tdap vaccine and a meningitis vaccine. It is our understanding that online learning is not a reason for not having vaccines. The students are actively enrolled in school. Letters indicating a student's need for immunizations were mailed home in June. Please feel free to call us with questions.
2. Medications - We are requesting that routine morning medications be administered at home this year. In order to help keep our students safe we are trying to decrease the daily visits to the health room. We fully understand that some student's medical needs require daily health room visits, but if we can decrease a portion of the visits, it will benefit everyone. We are giving medications during the school day as needed. Please call to discuss your student's individual needs if you have questions.
3. Doctor's orders, medication orders or emergency plans - All are required prior to the student attending school in the building. This is the same as it has always been.
4. School Base Wellness Centers- Our Wellness Center will be open for student visits once school starts. Your student does not have to be attending school in the building to use the services. Student's who are taking part in online learning can be brought in from home to see the provider as needed. Wellness will offer in person visits, online visits and curbside visits. You must call first to set up an appointment. More information will be provided or you can call the health room with questions.
Finally, the health room will be open for phone calls and phone or zoom meetings starting on August 27,2020.
Please feel free to call. Our phone number is 410-479-2377, fax number is 410-479-3711.
LMS School Based Health Center
Did you know? The School Based Health Center (SBHC) at LMS is open and available to see your student! YES! Even though students are learning remotely, the School Based Health team is at school and here for your health and wellness needs. Please call for an appointment, 410-479-3075. The LMS SBHC is open Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:30 am until 3:30 pm & on Fridays from 7:30 am until 11:30 am.
Services Available in the School Based Health Centers:
Congestion Cough Earaches Headaches Sore Throat Strep Throat Tests Shortness of Breath Pain or Injuries Nausea /Vomiting Skin Itch/Rash Sports Physicals Blood Pressure Screenings
And so much more!!!
Remember, if your student has ever enrolled in the SBHC, then they are ALWAYS enrolled! No need to fill out a form every year. However if you have never enrolled your student, then head over to the Caroline County Public Schools website (carolineschools.org), click on Forms and scroll down to the School Based Medical / Dental Centers Enrollment Form & Information. Print it out and complete prior to your appointment.
We are here for you and willing to support your student in any way that we can. Healthy students make better learners!