Updates from Washington Elementary - Tuesday, September 4th
Mr. Russell, Principal - 414.773.1805
Mrs. Schram, Administrative Assistant - 414.773.1805
Mrs. Hill-Gordon - Educational Assistant - 414.773.1806
Attendance Line - 414.773.1802
We had an excellent first day of school and hope your child(ren) enjoyed themselves as well. The first day of school is always filled with much anticipation and excitement for students, families and staff. I hope that your child(ren) shared positive feelings about their time at school today. Click on link to enjoy some 1st day of school photos.
I'd like to again welcome back all of our returning Washington families, as well as, welcome all new families to our community. In addition, please help me welcome some new staff to Washington:
Maggie Smith - Social Worker
Daryl Hanson - Psychologist
Meegan Archambo - Library Media Specialist Coordinator
- Grace Campuzano - Spanish
- Christina Tatrow - Special Ed Aide
Drop off and Pick Up Routines
Please take note:
- 67th Street is ONE way SOUTHBOUND during drop-off and pick-up. Between 7:00-8:30am and 2:00-3:30pm traffic is only allowed to move southbound.
- Thank you ahead of time for being considerate to our neighbors on 67th and all around our building by NOT blocking driveways nor turning around in driveways. 67th street is extremely busy in the morning and at dismissal so your continued efforts at being patient and follow the posted rules help keep everyone safe.
- There is a handicap parking sign posted on the north end of the cutout on 67th Street. Cars, buses and daycare vans should avoid this area at all times. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please review the link, Safe Routes to School: School Map, for some important reminders to help improve the safety of students and others around Washington School.
Thanks for your cooperation!
Early Release Wednesdays
Every Wednesday is an early release day for the Wauwatosa School District. Students in afternoon Junior Kindergarten and Senior Kindergarten through 5th grades will be dismissed at 2:20 p.m. There is a form in the registration packets that needs to be returned so we know where your child is supposed to go on Wednesdays. Please turn this form into the school asap and let your child's classroom teacher know the dismissal plans prior to next Wednesday. Should your dismissal procedures change throughout the year, please contact your child’s classroom teacher to update this information.
Here are the Wednesday Dismissal Options:
- Dismissed to walk home (on their own) at 2:20 p.m.
- Dismissed at 2:20 p.m. to go home with family or friend
- Dismissed at 2:20 p.m. to the after school recreation program (I Can't Wait for Wednesdays) until 3:45 p.m.(must be pre-registered with recreation department).
- Dismissed at 2:20 p.m. to Right at School's After School Program (Right Club) at Washington (must be pre-registered)
- Dismissed to another childcare bus/van at 2:20pm.
School Safety Drills
This week we will be practicing the first of many safety drills throughout the year. I wanted to inform you in case your child comes home and talks about it. We are required to do several drill throughout the year, including monthly evacuation (fire) drills, severe weather, medical emergency and lockdown drills. We will inform parents about these drills as we practice them. During the month of September, we will practice each of the required drills to better review and evaluate our procedures as a staff.