Mrs. Nelson's 1st Grade News!
Week of August 31st
Here we are, ready for the 2nd week of school! This week we are moving fast and furious as we begin to get into our normal routine! There is a lot to do, but don't worry... I will guide them along the way! Below are some of the most important things for you to keep in mind this week as you help your kiddos make the adjustment to a faster paced weed.
- Just like last week, your child is bringing home a "Take Home Folder" today in their backpack. Please check this nightly and sign the box for the day. This lets me know you are aware of their classroom behavior for the day and have checking their folder for any notes and papers. If there is a sticker, it was a great day! :)
- If there are any papers in the folder, please remove and only send back anything that requires being returned to school.
- If you need to send money or anything of that nature, feel free to use the small page protector in the very front to help assure those important things make it to me in the mornings!
- As mentioned last week, there is also a reading log in your child's folder. Please begin to make sure your child is reading 100 minutes per week. In the coming weeks, I will be sending leveled readers home (as I get all my levels established). Please remember that you reading with your child counts and is IMPORTANT! :) These minutes need to be logged on the reading log form.
- If you need to change the way your child goes home, PLEASE make sure you have contacted me to let me know the change so I can make sure all of my kiddos make it home safely.
- There will be a spelling test this week! Your child is bringing home spelling words (in flashcard format) along with a paper detailing "spelling homework". Please have your child pick 4 of the spelling activities and turn them in on Friday. This will help them prepare for the spelling test which is also on Friday.
- Please make sure I have a good e-mail contact address on file for you (on the yellow paper you filled out at "Meet the Teacher Night" or that came home in your child's folder if you were not able to get it that night. I use e-mail as my main communication method, so it is important that I have any e-mail addresses for you that are needed.
- Please sign up for my "Remind" texts so that you can get up to date information throughout the week as things change or reminders are sent.
I so loved the 1st week with your babies, and am looking forward to many more!
What Are We Learning?
This week we will continue to learn and practice policies and procedures. We will also begin to get more into our routine. I have given a brief description of what we are learning in each subject area below. In addition to this, please know that as we ease into our routine more and more, your child will begin doing more independent work. This takes time to establish stamina, but is well worth it in the end. I send (try to) daily work on Friday's, with the exception of some items. The work I am referring to is mainly; journal writing, work work, and spelling/sight word practice activities. I keep track of how much work each student completes and they spend part of their "Fun Friday" catching up if they fall behind. This helps me see how each student is independently building their work ethic. Please do not be surprised if you see assignments come home with the note, unfinished or incomplete. Please just discuss this with your child and talk about how to best manage time in the future.
- identifying and reading high frequency words
- decoding words
- forming letters (handwriting)
- writing legibly
- matching sounds to letters
- composing and decomposing numbers 1-30
- observing patterns within numbers (odd, even)
- building numbers with manipulatives
- breaking apart numbers into ones and tens place
- rules in school
- good citizenship characteristics
- healthy habits
- science safety
You will notice these overlap a little, that is for a reason. :) We are also focusing on the word families "an" and "am" this week.
Sight Words: (Please add these to the baggy that came home last week for continued practice. :)