Comets .v.s Asteroids
- A comet is an orbiting ball of ice and dust
- Comets were formed 4.6 billion years goo about the same time as our solar system
- The orbits of comets is very different than planets comets have oval shapes orbits called ellipses
- When comets are far away they look like big icy rocks they get more active and the ice starts melting
- Comets can have one or more tails they form when the comet starts melting near the sun
- An asteroid is too small to be considered a planet most are smaller than earths moon
- A Meteoroid is a small particle from an asteroid or comet orbiting the Sun. An asteroid is a large rocky body in orbit about the Sun. A Meteor refers to the flash of light caused by a meteoroid.
- A near earth astroid is an asteroid that has gotten to close to to earth and has been moved by earths gravity.
- A theory is that an asteroids caused the extinction of dinosaurs.
Russian scientists discovered a mountain sized asteroid that currently poses no threat to earth. Moats likely it will cause no threat.