By Monique Cotroneo
What does #LikeAGirl mean?
When running, throwing, shooting, spinning, riding, vaulting, climbing and fighting like a girl. It puts young women down.
Like a girl may be taken in 2 ways.
As an insult saying that girls can't throw as good at boys and can't do anything.
In this video a few women are asked to run like a girl, one woman squeals and frets about her hair and another woman giggles and waves her arms.
The young boy and man in this video don't realise how much they hurt young girls and women's confidence.
That this is how people raise their sons to believe that just because they are girls they can't do anything as good as them.
It can also be taken as a complement "Yes I run, throw, shoot, spin, ride, vault, climb and fight like a girl". But saying so what I am a girl and I am proud to be.
The younger girls in this video are the ones who show confidence and that older girls and women need to have more confidence in themselves
The Potential Consequences
- is an emotional disorder
- having intense feeling of hopelessness
Anxiety/ Panic Attacks
- fear of being rejected
- looking silly
- fear of being hurt whether physical or emotional
- high things demanded of them which they simply cannot react
- binge eating
- weight control reflected how unhappy
- girls are unhappy with their bodies
What I Recommend
- To maintain a good physical health through diet exercise and sleep
- Social media can benefit users with online forums and connects people with shared interests to seek advice or get support from others
- Learn about advertising in the media
- Understand you are much more than how you look
- Appreciate qualities
- Inform yourself about health nutrition and lifestyle
- Spend time with others who help you feel good
- Learn to appreciate and respect your body
- Practise positive self praise