October 8th Grade Counseling Update
High School Specialty Program Process Begins!
This month I spoke to all 8th grade students in the cafeteria about the transition to high school, and about their various choices for high school programs.
Students learned about:
- Social and Academic Concerns related to high school (GPA, transcripts, credits, etc)
- Requirements for their high school diploma
- The various specialty programs offered county wide
- How to access the specialty program application
The only exception is Colgan High School's CFPA - Deadline is Dec. 11
High School Specialty Program Information Nights
Between November and January, each PWC high school will be offering information nights to students and parents to learn more about each of their respective specialty programs.
I have put together a document which lists all the dates for these information nights.
Upcoming Computer Lab Sessions
I will be hosting computer lab sessions over the next few months, where 8th grade students can get permission to complete their high school specialty program applications during the school day. Announcements will be made to the students at lunch as these are scheduled.
Healthy Relationships Lesson
Throughout the months of October and November, I will be conducting the Healthy Relationships Lesson with all 8th grade students. Student will learn:
- How to identify the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships
- Understand the importance of establishing healthy boundaries.
- Learn the warning signs of abusive relationships.
- Learn about resources to get help if they or a friend are stuck in an unhealthy relationship.
Thomas Jefferson High School Applicants
This year we had 38 students apply to TJ, a significant increase from last years' total of 24.
Governor's School at Innovation Park
We were lucky to have Dr. Calhoun come visit our 8th grade students yesterday, to speak to them about the Governor's School program for 11th and 12th grade. Students also learned how the Pre-Governor's School program can help prepare them to transition to GS@IP.