in Food & Nutrition Services
VOLUME 5, ISSUE 7, FEBRUARY 2018 NEWSLETTER
February is Heart Health Month
Did you know that your heart is the hardest working muscle in your body? An adult heart beats about 100,000 times a day. Age and fitness level affect your heart rate while activity level is the greatest potential risk factor for heart disease. Keep moving and choose foods low in sodium! Heart disease is the number one cause of death for both men and women.Celebrate a healthy heart by decorating your cafeterias with red, hearts, and low sodium heart health facts this month! Wear red on Friday, February 2nd to celebrate National Heart Health Month.
Elementary School Cafeterias Celebrate Literacy Week
Students learned about "The Two Bite Club" using MyPlate at Montclair during Literacy Week
The 100th Day of School!
February Safety Tip
Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Corn
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fresh corn kernels
3 green onions, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 small red pepper seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice from one lime
2 teaspoons cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook quinoa in boiling water for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the little "tails" appear.
- Place the warm quinoa in a large bowl. Add the beans, corn, onion, red pepper and tomato. Mix olive oil, lime juice, garlic, black pepper and cumin and stir into quinoa mixture.
- Salad can be served warm or at room temperature.
Serving size: ⅔ Cup
Calories: 278; Total Fat: 7.7g; Saturated Fat: 1.1g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbohydrate: 44.7g; Dietary Fiber: 8.7g; Protein: 10.7g; Calcium: 54 mg; Iron: 4.8 mg.
- FEBRUARY 2ND: National Wear Red Day
- FEBRUARY 7TH: Elementary Early Dismissal
- FEBRUARY 19TH: Presidents' Day Holiday
- MARCH 12TH-16TH: Spring Break
- MARCH 19TH: Planning Day
- MARCH 20TH: Students Return to School
- MARCH 30TH: Good Friday, Holiday