STEAM Middle School
Wolverine News Volume 20
The Week of April 11-15th
Change in Course Presentation Night for 7th and 8th Grade STEAM Students
Due to exciting news released earlier this week by BISD, we will be providing an alternate presentation to our current STEAM students who will be entering 7th and 8th grade next year (2016-2017). Next week, a presentation will be sent out via Parent Link, Wolverine News, as well as through 6th and 7th grade weekly newsletters. This presentation will be informative and useful when selecting classes for the '16-'17 school year. Please see "Counselor Corner" for course planning sheets, these are not required to be submitted but, may help guide decision making. Should you have any questions after reviewing the material, you may contact Mrs. Harrison at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (817) 245-1500.
STEAM Curriculum & Course Registration Nights
NEW Incoming 6th, 7th, & 8th Grader Course Presentation Night
Wednesday, April 13th, 6-7:30pm
900 Southwest Hillside Drive
2017 Washington, D.C. Trip informational Meeting
Tuesday, April 19th, 6pm
900 Southwest Hillside Drive
Burleson Collegiate High School is Coming!
What a great opportunity for our students!
Informational meetings will be held on two nights:
Thursday, April 21st at 6:00, Centennial High School
Tuesday, April 26th at 6:00, Burleson High School
Social Media Presentation
We invite all Burleson ISD middle school families to join us Thursday, April 21 at 6:00 for a social media presentation. Kim Estes, BISD Learning Technologies Coach will provide helpful information regarding social applications, parental settings, as well as tools to protect your children.
STEAM Positive Office Referrals
STAAR Testing Calendar
Released STAAR Tests
Below you will find released STAAR tests. We encourage you to review each test that your student will be taking this year. We work hard every day to prepare our students and recognize that understanding the types of questions that they will be asked can be beneficial to both you and your child. You may find the answers to these tests on the final pages of each release, or click here to be routed to a website for the answer key.
What is S.T.E.A.M.?
STEAM U and Academic Labs
- During the school day.
- Students will complete assigned modules that will cover Math, Science, & ELA
- Modules are grade level specific.
- Modules are designed to be completed in 20 mins
- Modules for the entire week open on Monday
- Assigned to students who show a need for support in core subject areas.
- Target specific areas of weakness
- Provide an opportunity for tutoring during the school day
- Students demonstrate their mastery of knowledge in order to be reassigned to STEAM U.
STEAM U and Academic Labs serve as purposeful ways to reach all of our students where they are, while providing targeted opportunities for academic growth.
Mrs. Morgan and The Makerspace!
Hey STEAMers, want to 3D print something small for a $1?
1. Find an object on Thingiverse.com that is not too complicated, too big, or in several pieces [designs can be created on Tinkercad.com and then uploaded to Thingiverse].
2. Email me the link to the object.
3. I will print the object in the order the emails are received.
4. After 1 object has been printed for a student from Thingiverse, the next object must be designed and created by the student on Thingiverse.
Thingiverse is a fun site to use, but I recommend taking the time to do the tutorials so you have a good understanding of the tools.
Counseling Corner with Mrs. Harrison
As we approach online course selection through Skyward Family Access the week of April 18th-22nd, please begin to review course selection options. Click on the provided links to be directed to 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade-course planning sheets. Next week, a presentation will be distributed explaining each course option along with helpful resources to guide you in decision making.
Please note that students interested in:
- Athletics requires a coaches approval and a physical (students currently in STEAM PE will need to express their interest to Coach Woolsey).
- Symphonic and Honor's Band at Kerr and Hughes Middle School are based on auditions which will be communicated by band directors.
- Choir and Theatre Arts/Drama will only be offered at zoned campuses (Kerr and Hughes)
- If incoming 8th-grade students are interested in becoming an Office Aide or a Teacher's Assistant for the upcoming school year, they will need to pick-up and fill out an application in Mrs. Harrison's office, or use the provided link below [applications are due Wednesday, April 20th--NO EXCEPTIONS].
*The planning sheets are not required to be turned in,
these are for planning purposes only*
Attendance is of utmost importance. When students are absent, not only do they miss out on direct instruction, but also they have assignments that begin to pile up. While sometimes being absent is unavoidable, especially if a student has a fever or doctor's orders to stay home, if at all possible make sure they attend every day.
In Texas, students are required to attend school no less than 90% of the time, or to be absent no more than 17 days. When students pass 17 days of absences (EVEN excused with a doctor's note and partial absences) they are subject to loss of credit. Loss of credit means that they will not be given credit for courses (a really big deal if they are enrolled in high school classes). We work hard to insure that all of our students have the tools to be successful; thus, we allow students who have 17 + absences the opportunity to make-up seat time in order to avoid credit loss.
If your child has reached the 17 day limit you will be contacted and provided with a plan of action to make sure that seat-time recovery is a viable option.
Sometimes being absent is unavoidable and necessary but, if students are not required to stay home we ask that they have 100% attendance. Please see the Burleson ISD Attendance Letter for more information.
Spring Exam Exemption Policy
Please see the attached document below for the STEAM Spring Semester Exam Exemption Policy. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Harrison.
A Note From Nurse Shields
PLEASE make sure all your child’s immunizations are up to date for the 2016-2017 school year, and that all shot records are submitted to Nurse Shields in a timely manner. You may start turning in updated shot records NOW for the 2016-2017 school year, if you have them. You can submit them online here or you can email them to Brittney.Shields@bisdmail.net
If you are unsure what vaccines your child will need before starting school in August, you can access that information on the BISD Health Services website or you may call Nurse Shields’ office at 817-245-1510, or email her at the email address above.
Your child must be 100% compliant, and the school must have record of ALL state required vaccines before they will be allowed to start school. If your student is non-compliant, they will not receive a schedule when schedules are distributed.
**Please note: An “Immunization Waiver/Affidavit” is only valid for 24 months. They must also be current in order to be considered compliant**
Need Help Forwarding E-Mails?
Please sign up for STEAM Middle School Carnival!
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/Up8PWX
2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on VolunteerSpot)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots - VolunteerSpot will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!
Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.
Find us on Facebook: STEAM Middle School PTO - Burleson, Texas.
Have questions or comments for the PTO?
Contact us at BurlesonSTEAMPTO@gmail.com.
Our STEAM social media accounts are updated frequently with the exciting things going on at STEAM. We would like to make sure your student is able to be a part of our STEAM videos and photos that we post on our STEAM social media accounts. Please update your student's directory information if you would like your STEAM student a part of our videos and photos. You may complete the attachment below and return this form to our front office.