Connecting you to information & opportunities (10/13/2021)
In this edition of the newsletter, you'll find:
- College Application Cheat Sheets for Seniors
- Paying for College - FAFSA and Local Scholarships
- UC Essay Support
- Sierra College - Nursing Info Session
- College Athletics - Info for All Grade Levels
- College Nights - Admission Expert Series
- Academic Enrichment through Sierra College - Info for All Grade Levels
- Resources and Opportunities for Families
College application season is in full swing! Check out the tabs on this spreadsheet for step-by-step application guides (Cal State, UC and Common App) + a timeline to help you know what to do when.
NJUHSD Local Scholarships
As of October 1, all district scholarships are now visible in students' Going Merry account. Where seniors should be in the district scholarship application process right now:
- Profile 100% complete through Going Merry
- TWO letter of recommendation requests through the Going Merry system completed by 10/19/2021. Check with recommenders to be sure requests were received!
- Progress on or completion of 2021 Writing Prompts: Click Here
- Go through all 70% or more match on local scholarships and "heart" the scholarships you will be applying to. (Hide the scholarships you will not be applying to.)
- Load as you go... Load any documents or essays into all the scholarships you will be applying to as you complete or have them. Applications save as you go.
- Submit scholarships when you have completed all that is required.
- Scholarship applications are all due on 12/19/2021 by 9pm - Do not wait until the last minute!
FAFSA (via Going Merry)
- The FAFSA Made Easier tool through Going Merry is now open and available for students to start their FAFSA.
- Seniors should plan to complete their FAFSA through Going Merry by 10/31/2021
- To get started: Log on to Going Merry, go to "Menu," then click on "FAFSA" and begin (see video below)
- Come to fall break workshops (M-Th from 12-2 pm) if you need any help (info shared with seniors via email)
UC - Personal Insight Questions
Virtual Session (open to seniors at NPA, BRHS, NUHS and Ghidotti)
And be sure to register for the upcoming "UC for You" virtual event on October 28 from 6-8 pm. Learn more about admissions, hear from current students and ask questions.
Sierra College Nursing Information Session
Learn more about how to get into Sierra College's nursing program by attending a Nursing Admission Workshop. Once you’re in the nursing program, Sierra College offers Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) workshops and study groups to help you prepare for the exam.
Wednesday, Nov. 17: 6:00-8:00 pm in the Dietrich Theatre. View the Campus Map. This workshop session will be geared toward high school students and parents, and facilitated by the Dean of Nursing, Nancy James,
Challenge yourself and take a Sierra College course (or two!) while in high school! Open to students in grades 9-12. Click to learn what the options are and next steps. Spring registration opens November 18!
College Nights: Admissions Expert Series
Collegewise is hosting a webinar series - five Tuesdays with three different sessions every evening. It’s free and will feature deans of admission from some of your favorite universities, journalists and authors from publications like The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, and a crew of the foremost experts in the field of education and college admissions. The topics will appeal to parents as well as those juniors starting to think about college and those younger high school students who want to get started! Click here to register!
Interested in playing sports while at college? Check out this resource for your grade 9-12 timeline plus information on each of the divisions.
Resources & Opportunities for Families
NEO October Activities
NEO has plenty of activities to choose from this fall, including their High School and Jr. High groups, art workshops, special effects zombie makeup, a trip to the pumpkin patch, hiking, archery and homework help drop-in day! Rainbow Social is back as well, and will be held on the Sierra College campus. Check out this link to sign up: CALENDAR