Creek Speak 01.09.22
Community Newsletter for MCHS
This Week at The Creek
Girls Soccer: @Northbrook HS 5:30 PM
Padres Hispanos en accion 6:00 PM
Tuesday, January 11
Student Council Meeting 2:45 PM
Boys Basketball: v Seven Lakes 4/5:30/7
Girls Basketball: @ Seven Lakes 4/5:30/7
Wednesday, January 12
College Wear Wednesday
Wrestling: @ Bellaire HS 5:00 PM
Thursday, January 13
Good Luck to Girls Soccer in I-10 Shootout!
FFA Spirit Night at Willie's
Financial Aid Night - LGI 4:00-7:00
Friday, January 14
It's FRIDAY....we wear GREEN!
FFA Spirit Night at Willie's
Boys Basketball: at Tompkins 4:00 PM, 5:30 PM, 7:00 PM
Girls Basketball: v Tompkins 4:00 PM, 5:30 PM, 7:00 PM
Good Luck to Girls Soccer at I-10 Shootout!
Wrestling: @Westside HS 5:00 PM
Debate: Annual Ram Classic Tournament 3:00 PM
Saturday, January 15
Boys Soccer: Strake Jesuit Tournament
Girls Soccer: I-10 Shoot Out
Wrestling: @Westside HS Quad Tournament 9:00 AM
Debate: Annual Ram Classic Tournament
Congratulations to Rewa Chababo for her 100 Career Wrestling Win!!
If you are interested in trying out for baseball please attended our informative meeting on January 10th in room 2210. If you have any questions please see Coach Handlin.
NEW! “NO HOMEWORK” NIGHT & WEEKENDS
Stage 3 Modified Operations
STAGE 3 MODIFIED OPERATIONS continue to remain in effect on all campuses and facilities, beginning Monday, January 3. All Katy ISD campuses and facilities will begin the spring semester at Stage 3 Modified Operations (SRTS Plan p. 10). The District anticipates all sites remaining in Stage 3 Modified Operations through January 31. It is anticipated that we will be able to return our campuses and facilities to the less restrictive Stage 4 or 5, by February 1. Families are encouraged to review the Katy ISD Dashboard to monitor their child’s school and facility sites.
For detailed explanation of current COVID-19 mitigation protocols, please refer to the Katy ISD’s Safe Return to School (SRTS) Plan.
Applying for GPA Exempt Courses
The GPA EXEMPT tile is located in MyKaty Cloud
Click below to access the GPA exempt information for 2021-2022
Students will be able to submit GPA exemptions from January 4-February 18. No exemptions will be accepted after February 18th.
HOW DO STUDENTS ENROLL IN A GPA EXEMPT COURSE?
Students interested in taking one of the GPA Exempt courses must discuss this option with the counselor at the beginning of the course. If the student meets all of the criteria, they must:
1.Complete the online GPA Exempt application.
2.Submit the application no later than the end of the 6th week of each semester. At this time, if all criteria are met, it will be approved, and a course change will be made to reflect enrollment in a GPA Exempt course.
3.Once the student makes the decision to take a course as GPA-exempt, the decision is final and cannot be changed.
4.Students enrolled in full-year courses do not need to reapply during the second semester.
5.Students, including move-in students, who miss the application deadline for the first semester, may apply for the second semester if they meet the criteria.
SAT School Day Accommodations - ACTION NEEDED
SAT School Day is March 2, 2022 for all 11th grade students at Mayde Creek. If you are a student who receives accommodations for testing you must apply for accommodations through College Board in order to receive them on the SAT. All accommodation requests must be submitted by January 11, 2022. Click the link below to access information on how to submit accommodation requests.
If you need assistance with accommodation requests you may contact Rebecca Bowman at email@example.com.
NEW! STUDENT & STAFF COVID-19, STREP & FLU TESTING
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Saturday: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Location: 5801 Katy Hockley Cut Off Road, Katy, TX 77493
Eligibility: All Katy ISD students with a valid student identification. Katy ISD employee dependents (spouse and/or children) covered by the Katy ISD health insurance plan and members of the employee’s household, are also eligible for a free COVID-19 test. A Katy ISD health insurance card that lists the enrolled dependents is required.
COVID-19, Strep or Flu Student Appointments: Click on the yellow APPOINTMENT link on the https://url.avanan.click/v2/___www.katyisd.org___.YXAzOmthdHlpc2QyOmE6bzplMjdlOTExNDcxMTFmNWEwZDBhNjFlNTU1ZGQzZjY5Njo1OjYyZDQ6ZDVkY2NkNmQ1M2YwZDE4M2FiNWY4Zjk4OWIyODIzZTAyMzU3MDAzYjVmZWQ0OGE1Mjc3ODE5MmU2OGRmN2VmMzp0 homepage to schedule
Permissions Slips Available On-Site
COVID-19, Strep or Flu Staff Appointments: Staff and their dependents/household members do not require appointments.
Have other questions about COVID testing? Take a moment to check out the Katy ISD COVID Testing Center’s FAQs here.
NEW 2022-2023 STUDENT TRANSFER REQUESTS
The District Student Transfer application for the 2022-2023 school year will open on Tuesday, January 4, 2022. Students who are currently on a transfer must submit their requests by Friday, March 11, 2022.
Basketball Season - Fan Expectations
Due to Covid-19 restrictions last school year, our student fans were not allowed to attend basketball games so we wanted to review our fan expectations for these contests so everyone is able to successfully support our student athletes. Students that are unable to adhere to these expectations will receive one warning and an additional offense will result in suspension from future basketball games.
- New this year, all ticket purchases are online through Pay 'N' Go - no cash is accepted at the door.
- For the first two game times, there will be games in both gyms. Fans may go back and forth between the gyms through the front lobby only. No fans should access the back locker room hallway to go to another gym.
- We will have concessions available during all games. Concessions are cash only. Fans may come out to purchase concessions at any time during the games, however once purchased, you must return to the gym to watch the game. There is no loitering in the lobby area. If you are not purchasing something at the concession stand, you should not be in line.
- Inside the large competition gym, fans must sit on the appropriate side of the gym. The visitors side is located behind the player benches. The home side faces our player benches.
- We want all fans to cheer for our Rams! Get LOUD and show that Ram Pride! Language should be appropriate and cheers should display good sportsmanship at all times.
- Students must have a ride at the end of the last game. Students should contact parents no later than the start of the 4th quarter to make them aware of the game end time. As with all school events, students that are unable to have timely and reliable transportation will be banned from attending future events.
SchooLinks is a modern, college and career readiness platform to prepare students for what comes after graduation. SchooLinks helps students discover their interests and strengths, explore colleges and careers, and create an individualized career and academic plan that best reflects their post-secondary goals. SchooLinks at Katy ISD is accessible in 6th-12th grades by students and their parents.
SchooLinks features are incredibly user-friendly and were designed to streamline the college and career readiness workflow for counselors and staff.
Using SchooLinks, students and families can:
- Access career interest, strength and mindset surveys
- Explore 2-year and 4-year colleges
- Create course plans based on career pathways
- Take virtual reality college campus tours
- Search for scholarships
- Learn about financial aid
- Find internship and volunteer opportunities
- Explore traditional, emerging and military career fields
- Create digital portfolios / resumes
- Communicate with counselors
- Build their Personal Graduation Plan
Students will login to SchooLinks via my Katy Cloud
Then select SchooLinks logo
Parents/Guardians will have login access to Schoolinks at a later date.
If you want to learn more about SchooLinks please visit hello.schoolinks.com
Interested in Joining a Club? Check out all that MCHS has to offer!!
January 17 - Staff and Student Holiday
February 11 - Fun Food Friday
February 18 - End of 4th 6 Weeks Grading Cycle
February 21 - Student Holiday - Professional Development Day
Need something advertised in Creek Speak? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayde Creek High School
It is our mission at Mayde Creek High School to inspire ALL students to develop their maximum potential, to build healthy relationships, and to facilitate a smooth transition into a competitive global society— Mayde to Believe, Lead, and Achieve.