Buffalo Trail ES March 3, 2024
Good Afternoon, Buffalo Trail Families,
This is Read Across America time and Mrs. Walker, Mrs. Bevis, and Mrs. DeWald are super excited when they see Bison with books! Book fair was a great opportunity to add new titles to your child's home library and supports the love of reading in school, too! Thank you for participating and reading every day!
We had five (5) Watch Dog Parents at school on Friday! It was AMAZING! Thanks so much to these Dads for your time and support. We love you guys!
Also a reminder for Monday, March 4, at 6:30 p.m. The PTA is sharing their meeting for us to present second semester traditions for fifth grade. Fourth grade students and families are invited to join as an orientation for rising 5th graders.
We are really staying busy at the Trail and having a great time together!
This Week on the Trail
We are super excited to see our Bison here by 7:30 a.m. each day! Last week we were able to start 100% on time! Keep up the good work.
Monday, March 4 - In person PTA meeting with special 5th grade student presentations and 4th grade orientation at 6:30 p.m. at BTES.
**Read Across America Day. Bring your favorite book to share in class.
Tuesday, March 5 - Student Holiday - Teacher training day.
Wednesday, March 6- Regular school day
Thursday, March 7 - Regular school day
Friday, March 8 - Boosterthon Event day. It's going to be SO MUCH FUN!
March Community Spirit Connection- Looking sharp and supporting the school with Bison Spirit Month at Sharky's Haircuts. Mention BTES during any March visit and drop a token in the box to record your purchase. Tokens equal donations from the business to support upcoming school activities.
Save the Dates
March 11 - 5th graders to visit Willard MS
March 14- It's PI day (3.14) for all you math people
March 14-15 Spring pictures
March 15 - Bollywood Dance event
March 25-29 - SPRING BREAK HOLIDAYS
April 4- End of 3rd Quarter
April 5 - Student Holiday- Teacher workday
April 10 - School Holiday
April 11- Breakfast with Bison - (Last names A-M)
April 12 - Breakfast with Bision (Last names N-Z)
April 15- Report cards available in Parent Vue
April 19 - Kindergarten Playground Dedication for kinder families
April 25 - PE Field Day
1. Registration is now open for the 2024-25 School Year. Don't wait for summer!- As of March 1, we are already approaching capacity in some grade levels, so reserve your seats now.
- If you have a student new to LCPS in the fall, it is important to register them as soon as possible to reserve their seat.
- Kinders must be 5 years old by Sept 30 and have current medical forms/immunizations to be eligible.
- Incoming kinders with siblings at BTES need to register to recieve their own student ID and to reserve their seat. They are not automatically enrolled.
- Current students are pre-registered for the fall. No further steps are needed
Contact our registrar, Mrs. Nassif, at 702-722-2780 to make your appointment today! You may also email her through our school webpage: https://www.lcps.org/buffalotrail
2. Yearbook Sales are open - BTES Yearbook sale site: BTES Yearbook Sale | Yearbook ID Code: 14452624 Additional copies are very limited, so pre-orders are recommended.
3. Special 5th grade recognition- A new tradition for 5th grade is included in our yearbook. Fifth grade Families can submit a special shout-out form for a family message to their student. It will be included in this year's year book. Instructions are in the attached document provided today.
4. New Parent Information App - Mrs. Friedl and Ms. Tollman have information for you about School Links for Elementary Families. Stay connected with assessment results, post-secondary goals and lists of favorite colleges or programs of interest your child has expressed in school. See attached information for details.
5. Special Invitation - Bollywood Night- Thank you to Mrs. Kimes and all the parent volunteers who are working to sponsor a Bollywood Evening at BTES on March 15. Please see the attached flyer for more information. Volunteers are needed and a QR code is provided to sign up!
6. SEAC Update-Thank you to Mrs. Dolan, our SEAC Delegate for this month's update. See Community News for more information.
Booster Information and Updates
Here we are! “The Buffalo Trail: Navigating Together!” event has started and we are having so much fun working and playing together. This event will help us build funds to upgrade our makerspace / stem lab. We also want to start a campus beautification project.
We started with assemblies. They were a blast with our specialists. (They are amazing!) Mrs. Mehalchick and Mrs. Rogaliner were also right up front sharing the fun.
Next, we ask you to register so your student can participate through MYBOOSTER.COM There is no cost to register and all data is confidential.
The event culminates with all students joining the huge celebration during their specials block on 03/08/2024. As funds are raised, there are school wide incentives for everyone.
Level 1 - $5K: Music at Recess and/or Music at Lunch for All Grade Levels
Level 2- $10K: Mrs. Rogaliner and Mrs. Mehalchick dress up in inflatable costumes all day.
Level 3 - $20K: Mrs. Rogaliner and Mrs. Mehalchick meet the Slime Time team.
Level 4- $30K: BTES Staff Carpool Karaoke Video- (We’re still figuring this one out!)
There is no cost to enter when you register at Mybooster.com and all information is kept confidential.
The class with the most registered students will get recess for a week with the Principal and AP. Additionally, when 75% of families log in, then we have a really special visit from Beau Bison at Morning Arrival.
Thank you in advance for your support and sharing in the fun on the Trail.
SEAC UPDATE THIS MONTH
****SEAC - Special Education Advisory Committee
Laura Dolan - SEAC Delegate.
Thank you to Mrs. Dolan for her continued support of BTES students and families as our SEAC designee.
Here is a brief summary of the February meeting highlights. Full notes from the meeting are available in the attached talking points.
1.The Special Education Advisory Committee is appreciative of the School Board’s amendments to the budget for the following:
• Add a Transition Supervisor
• More Adaptive PE teachers,
• Expand full-day expansion of STEP preschool program
• Restore Virtual Distance Learning at the elementary level for eligible students.
2. We have proposed a change to Policy 8415 so that parents/guardians should be notified about homebound instruction availability within 2 school days.
3. Please join us in person or online for our next meeting on March 6 at 6pm for a presentation on Executive Functioning. See attached flyer for details.
****MSAAC- Minority Student Achievement Advisory Committee
Monique Blake - MSAAC Delegate
Congratulations, Ms. Blake! We are delighted to have you join us in this role.
****LEAF - Loudoun Education Alliance of Families
Position Open - LEAF Delegate
****FAMILY LIAISON Program- Family community support beyond school hours.
School Liaison: Mrs. Ginny Beers
Contact Information: email@example.com.
Links are provided for calendars, meeting minutes, and monthly updates for these committees. Delegate messages will be provided as available throughout the month.
*****Attachments provided today*****
1. 5th grade shout out instructions (word doc & pdf)
2. Spirit events - Vocelli's & Sharky's
3. School Link presentation information
4. SEAC Updates
5. Bollywood event