- Boys at the age of 7 left their families to join the military, they made them do this to toughen them up.
- Only boys could join the army, the women stayed home and did household duties such as weaving and sewing.
- Only at age 30 could they leave the barracks and start a family but were still soldiers.
- At age 60 men could retire from the army but could be called back to fight, they could also join the council of elders at that age.
- In earlier times of Sparta, they didn't focus as much on military but they focused on bronze production and poetry.
- Spartan government was almost the same as the Athens government.
- Only men in both city-states were allowed to be a part of the government.
- They both started out as an oligarchy, Sparta stayed an oligarchy while Athens turned into a democracy.
- In both Sparta and Athens they had assemblies in which the people helped decide on different things like voting and doing whats best for the economy.