RuCo Digital Learning Day!
Wednesday, October 24, 2018
What Is Digital Learning?
Digital learning is any instructional practice that effectively uses technology to strengthen a student’s learning experience. It emphasizes high-quality instruction and provides access to challenging content, feedback through formative assessment, opportunities for learning anytime and anywhere, and individualized instruction to ensure all students reach their full potential to succeed in college and a career.
Digital learning encompasses many different facets, tools, and applications to support and empower teachers and students, including online courses, blended or hybrid learning, or digital content and resources. Additionally, digital learning can be used for professional learning opportunities for teachers and to provide personalized learning experiences for students.
Digital learning advances school reform by increasing equity and access to educational opportunities, improving effectiveness and productivity of teachers and administrators, providing student-centered learning to ensure college and career readiness for all students, and recognizing teachers as education designers.
States of Matter K, 3, & 5
2) Conduct investigations to understand that matter can exist in different states (solid and liquid) and has properties that can be observed and tested.
3.PS1: Matter and Its Interactions
1) Describe the properties of solids, liquids, and gases and identify that matter is made up of particles too small to be seen.
5.PS1: Matter and Its Interactions
1) Analyze and interpret data from observations and measurements of the physical properties of matter to explain phase changes between a solid, liquid, or gas.
This FREE Nearpod lesson explores the states of matter.
Animal Adaptations 2nd Grade
2.LS1: From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes
1) Use evidence and observations to explain that many animals use their body parts and senses in different ways to see, hear, grasp objects, protect themselves, move from place to place, and seek, find, and take in food, water, and air.
Animal Adaptations Nearpod Lesson
This site is full of educational games, activities, quizzes, articles and more! Make sure you check out the Cell, Producers, Consumers, and Decomposers, and Food Chain games!
Mostly elementary, some middle school activities available.
To visit Sheppard Software click HERE.
Middle School Resources
Motion & Energy Skate Park 6th Grade
3) Analyze and interpret data to show the relationship between kinetic energy and the mass of an object in motion and its speed.
Motion & Energy Skate Park Nearpod Lesson
Liquids, Solids, and Gases
7.PS1.6 Create and interpret models of substances whose atoms represent the states of matter with respect to temperature and pressure.
Click HERE for this Nearpod lesson
Grades 3-5, 6-8
Click HERE to go to Study Jams!
High School Resources
Measuring Energy Changes
This nearpod lesson is designed to be used in conjunction with the PhET simulation "Energy Forms & Changes" as an interactive lesson and can be completed and controlled by the teacher.
PSCI.PS3.8 Plan and conduct an experiment using a controlled chemical reaction to transfer thermal energy and/or do mechanical work.
Click HERE for this Nearpod lesson.
Biodiversity: Layers of a Rainforest
BIO2.LS4.12 Analyze evolutionary relationships among algae and major groups of plants. In this analysis, consider adaptations necessary for survival in terrestrial habitats.
ECO.LS2.4 Construct explanations for patterns relating to climate, flora, and fauna found in major terrestrial biomes.
Click HERE for this Nearpod lesson
Something for Everyone!
Terrific Websites for Science
Click HERE to see this list