Success in Sixth Grade
Math Tests and Outdoor Ed Nuts and Bolts Edition
Math Basic Skills and Standards Test Reminder
As a reminder, before Winter Recess, your child will be taking a district-wide 6th Grade Basic Skills test and a 6th Grade Standards Test.
1) All 6th Grade students will take a Basic Skills Test, similar to the one they took at the beginning of the year. There are 34 questions on this test. All are multiple choice and assess computational skills.
There are no word problems or explanations required on this test. Like the beginning of the year test, the purpose of the Basic Skills Test is to inform us, you, and your student the areas where they exhibit strengths and areas where they exhibits the need for additional learning in the area of computational skills and translating these into our learning targets. The students will have a time limit of 60 minutes to take this assessment.
2) All 6th Grade students will also take a 6th Grade Standards Test. This test is meant as a pre-test for the 2nd half of the school year. There are a total of 17 questions (most questions have multiple parts) and all are open-response. Many of these questions require explanations from the student. The purpose of the Standards Test is to inform instruction for teachers and to allow students to experience taking an “end-of-course” assessment.
The students will have a time limit of 90 minutes to take this assessment.
The students will be taking the basic skills test on Thursday, December 10th and the 6th grade standards test on Friday, December 11th. Please make sure your student is well rested before each test. We will limit homework on Thursday night. Your student should not be preparing for these assessments, as these are tests to assess what they currently know.
These tests do not affect their placement when entering 7th grade. There will be another assessment at the end of the year which will impact their math placement in 7th grade.
Please see http://iusd.org/education_services/math-pathways/index.html for more information regarding math placement for next year.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Outdoor Ed Nuts and Bolts
The video playlist is included below, but we wanted to provide you with the scaled down notes and tips:
- Outdoor Ed takes place from Tuesday, January 12th (normal arrival time) to Friday, January 15th (pickup around 11:30)
- Forms and payment are due Friday, December 4th
- Cost is $360
- Check payable to Canyon View Elementary School
- Pack everything except your pillow and sleeping bag into a carry-on sized (luggage space is limited) bag that can get dirty (there are dirt roads everywhere, including the parking lot where the bags are unloaded)
- A 30-gallon black trash bag should be packed containing: 1) another labeled trash bag for the return trip, 2) sleeping bag, 3) pillow)
- Label everything
- Don't forget chapstick! The winds pick up a lot at night.
- Get ready for a fun time!
- We will be blogging and posting about our experiences throughout the week. You can see a sneak peek from last year's adventures at: http://bit.ly/cvoe2015