Dr. Kimberly McLeod, TABSE President
Happy Holidays TABSE,
We have plenty to be thankful for as we go into the new year.
1. Our Houston Affiliate has been growing forward in spite of Hurricane Harvey.
2. The Conference venue hotel sustained more considerable hurricane damage and will not be ready by conference time, but the Hyatt Regency, our venue from last year is ready to accommodate us.
3. For two years in a row TABSE has had two superintendents that have made it as finalists for TASA Superintendent of the year. This year we celebrated Drs. LaTonya Goffney and Thomas Randle with Dr. Goffney snatching the state title.
4. We have so many promotions to central office and superintendent positions that have gone through the TABSE pipeline.
5. Our affiliates are stronger than they have ever been before and are gaining strength through the Council of Affiliate Presidents at lighting speed.
6. TEPI has produced it’s first group of fellows with one of them snagging a board position for Alief ISD!
7. TASA is strengthening TABSE’s presence with lots of coverage at the midwinter conference.
8. TEPI is organizing as an independent board under TABSE with Dr. Bailey serving as chair
9. ….and much, much more.
TABSE we have R.I.S.E.N. We are stronger together than we are alone. Let’s keep moving forward as we change the condition of education for children of African descent for Texas. We are the civil rights leaders for education in Texas.
In service with you,
Kimberly McLeod, Ed.D.
TABSE Board Meeting
Sunday, Dec. 3rd, 6-7pm
This is an online event.
TABSE 2018 Conference Updates
The Omni Houston Galleria Hotel has sustained much more extensive hurricane damage than initially known. Unfortunately, the hotel will not be able to host our February conference. The Conference has been relocated to the Houston Hyatt Regency Hotel located at 1200 Louisiana Street, Houston, Texas, USA, 77002. All hotel reservations made at the Omni Hotel has been canceled and you must make hotel reservations at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
We look forward to a successful conference on February 22 – 25, 2018!
Affiliate Call to Action: Align and Strengthen
Remember to focus on these for initiatives for the 2017-2018 year:
1. Teacher of the Year Recognition (Spring)
2. Activity for Professional Development (Fall)
3. Activity for Community and Youth Development
4. Activity for Networking Members
Affiliates that meet these goals will be recognized at the conference in February.
Taking Care of Business
All Affiliate Dues should be paid.
Please follow the link below for more information about affiliate due dates and other pertinent forms you may need. If you aren't able to find a form that you need, please let us know at email@example.com.
No Excuses, Just Results!
Affiliate Stimulus Grants are available for those affiliates that need additional support. Remember, we serve together. Funds are limited, but they are available.
If your affiliate needs help, click on the link below to apply for grant funds to support you in reaching your 4 objectives.
However, one of the best ways to earn funds for your affiliate to is get involved with our biggest fundraiser of the year, our annual conference. Please review the conference proceeds distribution plan at the link below.
Texas Educational Policy Institute (TEPI)
The interim board members for TEPI are:
TEPI Founding Board Member: Carla Windfont
TEPI Founding Board Member: Aisha Davis
TEPI Founding Board Member: Melvin Guider
Ex-offico founders that do not serve on the board include Dr. Kimberly McLeod, Dr. Colina Poullard, Georgia Pérez and Phyllis Williams. The founders will establish policies that will govern this body.
On the legislative edge
Congratulations are in order!
Words of Wisdom
Here are a few quotes we've received:
"Inspect what you expect."
"To lead is to serve."
"Never regret anything because at one time it was exactly what you wanted."
If you would like to submit a quote that you live by, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay connected with us through social media, you can use the links below.
Executive Board Members
TABSE Executive Board
Dr. Kimberly McLeod
Dr. David Harris
Dr. Michael D. McFarland
Immediate Past President
Dr. Colina C. Poullard
Dr. Chris Pichon
Dr. Dawn DuBose
Dr. Jennifer Butcher