~ Hawley Elementary School Newsletter: September 10, 2022 ~
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti.....
Dear Hawley Parents/Guardians, Teachers, and Staff,
Two weeks in already. It has been terrific! Despite different surroundings, students are happy and working hard, and it seems we have all acclimated to our new environments.
Many opportunities coming up to bring home & school together. Open Houses this week and the PTA Ice Cream Social next week.
Buckle up, stay seated, and keep your hands and feet in the car at all times, as you read on to find out What's Happening at Hawley .....
~ Two Reminders ~
Since we are in other buildings...
- No Need to call Reed or Sandy Hook if you need to ask or tell something. Their main offices do not have our information or access to our teachers/students. If you need us, please call the Hawley Main Number, 203-426-7666. The phone rings in our two offices with our secretaries.
- When entering the building to pick something up or drop something off, especially children, please tell the guard that you are a Hawley Parent. They will direct you to our main office where we can help you.
~ Open House ~
Open House is an evening planned for adults only, to receive generic overviews of protocols/procedures, expectations, and curriculum. If you feel that there is a need for a more individualized conversation with your child’s teacher, please share that with them so a meeting at a future date can be arranged.
- Grades K-1 Open House is Tuesday, at Sandy Hook, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Grades 2-4 Open House is Wednesday, at Reed, 6:30-7:30 PM
Our PTA will be in the lobby selling Hawley Wear so maybe come a little early. They are not only taking orders, they will have merchandise available to purchase those evenings right there on the spot.
~ Some School News ~
News from the School Counselor
This school year, the elementary school counselors will be conducting "minute meetings" for all students in K-4th grade. These meetings allow every student to have one-on-one time with their school counselor and to build on the relationships that the counselors have with all of the students in the building.
The school counselor will schedule a time to pull each student for a couple of minutes until every student has had a turn. If you have any questions, please reach out to Ms. Sollazzo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
News from the Library
Students can not prepare for the assessment but we do ask that they get a good nights rest, are in school on time, and appointments during the day are avoided. There are make up sessions available so please do not send in students that are not feeling well.
Our testing window for the first assessment is Sept 12-28. Students are not tested all day, everyday. Your child's teacher will share the dates their classes will be tested. Results are mailed home on October 6.
Please feel free to reach out to Ms/ Tischio with any questions that you may have.
~ Spirit Day ~
~ Hawley PTA ~
Some wonderful activities are planned. Some flyers have gone home and more are coming soon.
- Fall MUM Fundraiser. Click HERE for the order form. Please send in by 9/22.
- Thursday, 9/22 is our annual Ice Cream Social. This is the first event that brings us all together. Be looking for this flyer shortly.
- Our Father's Club will once again be having a night of Pumpkin Carving on 10/12. Flyer coming home this week.
Please join the PTA, get involved, and raise your hand to help with events.
Important Reminders / General Info
- At Sandy Hook during drop off in the morning, remember to pull up all the way in the line.
- Since we are in two buildings that students are unfamiliar, combined with the end of the day being very busy, we ask that no students be picked up between 3:00-3:25 PM.
- If you are wondering..... ASK!
Dates to Remember
- Tues, 9/13: K-1 Open House (Sandy Hook), 6:00-7:00 PM
- Wed, 9/14: Grades 2-4 Open House (Reed), 6:30-7:30 PM
- Wed, 9/14: Picture Day (grades 2-4, Reed)
- Thurs, 9/22: PTA Ice Cream Social
- Fri, 9/23: 3-Hr Early Release Days (12:37 PM), Professional Development
- Mon, 9/26: NO School, Rosh Hashanah
Out of the Mouths of Babes.....
" Hey Mr. M! I love all of Hawley being in one hallway. " shouted an excited 2nd grade boy.
" Why? " inquired Mr. M
" I see my older sister all the time. " the student replied
" Terrific " Mr. M continued, " I bet she likes that too? "
" NO Way! It really bugs her, which is why I love it "