by Ty'Niesha Moore
meeting and greeting
- Shake hands or give a slight bow when introduced.
- Bow when greeting a Mexican woman. Shake hands only if she extends her hand first.
Dining & entertainment
- Business entertainment is very important and it is during these events that personal relationships should be developed.
- Always keep both hands above the table.
- Don't leave the table immediately after you are finished eating.
- Drinking to excess is frowned upon in Mexico, especially when it's done by women. Customarily, only men propose toasts; foreign women normally shouldn't offer toasts.
- Any attempt to speak Spanish is appreciated by your Mexican counterparts and is seen as a gesture of goodwill. Demonstrating knowledge and appreciation of Mexican culture wins friends.