Our Town Happenings Week #22
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of February 15 - 19, 2016
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- broad yet distinct main ideas in expository writing
- grammar review: apostrophe 's to show ownership; contractions
- Stephen F. Austin continued
- data tables
- summarizing non-fiction texts
- Sitton List 20 Core Words - leave, everything, game, system, bring
- for extended list, see below
- begin Vocab 2 (moon phases, tides, shadows, seasons)
- moon phases, shadows
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- Orange Specials Day (Beasley/Art, LaCombe/PE)
- Yellow Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Art)
- Green Specials Day (Beasley/Performing Arts, LaCombe/PE)
- progress reports sent home for students with an average below 70 in any subject
- Blue Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Library)
- Purple Specials Day (Beasley/Library, LaCombe/PE)
- Spell Check over List 20
- Moon Diary due - may use nighttime observations or online resources (Google "Moon Calendar February 2016") to complete; diary needs a drawing of moon phase and the name of the phase
- Science Vocab Test #1 REDO (water cycle, weather, and soil) - students have flashcards they made in class to study from, or can find online practice on the Quizlet page on our website
- Reading Log: 100 minutes (in Google Classroom account)
- NO READING PASSAGE THIS WEEK
- worksheet (handed out in class on Monday 2/15, due Monday 2/22)
- Spell Check 20 on Friday 2/19
- Changing Earth Vocab Quiz 2 on Friday, 2/26 - vocab hard copy linked below & link for online Quizlet practice
4th ANNUAL FACULTY FOLLIES SHOW - Saturday, February 20 @ 11am - VISTA RIDGE PAC
ALL-CALL FOR ART SUPPLIES!
FORTY AND FABULOUS!! Mrs. LaCombe had lots of love on her bday - thanks so much!
UPCOMING DATES - UPDATED THROUGH THE END OF THE YEAR!!
- Monday 2/1 - Tuesday 2/2 - Staff Development / Student Holiday
- Friday 2/5 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Geriatric Attack (Dress up like a Sr. Citizen in honor of the 100th day of school :)
- Wednesday 2/10 - Karen LaCombe's 29th birthday
- Wednesday 2/17 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- Saturday 2/20 - Faculty Follies Show - Vista Ridge PAC at 11:00 am
- Friday 2/26 - Spring Pictures
- TX Independance Day - Dress like a Texan in 4th
- Sunday 3/13 - Daylight Savings Time - SPRING FORWARD!
- Monday 3/14 - Friday 3/18 - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
- Friday 3/25 - NO SCHOOL - Good Friday
- Tuesday 3/29 - 4th Grade Writing STAAR Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Friday 4/1 - End of the 3rd 9 weeks
- Friday 4/1 - First Fun Friday in 4th Grade - Illuminocity Atrocity - Dress in BRIGHT colors!
- Monday 4/4 - Stephanie Beasley's 29th birthday
- Wednesday 4/6 - report cards sent home
- Friday 4/15 - Field Trip to Twin Lakes YMCA
- Friday 4/22 - Earth Day
- Monday 4/25 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Wednesday 5/4 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- Friday 5/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Dress like a STAR! (music, sport, TV - school dress code compliant, please :)
- Monday 5/9 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Math Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Tuesday 5/10 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Reading Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Monday 5/24 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Monday 5/30 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- 4th 9 weeks - report cards sent home
- Last Day of School - Have a GREAT summer!
SIX FLAGS READ TO SUCCEED FORMS - DUE 2/29!
Please note that forms MUST be turned in NO LATER THAN MONDAY, FEBRUARY 29th. If they have lost the form, it is linked below.
The February PTA newsletter is out! Check it out below to see all the great things that are happening around our campus.
Also, every 1st, 3rd, & 5th Friday morning, between 7:15-7:40, our PTA sells the ever-popular spirit sticks for $1 each and spirit rings for $2 each outside the front doors of the school (if weather permits; immediately inside if not). These are upcoming sales dates: February 19, March 4, 18, April 1, 15, 29, and May 6, 20.
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.