January 6, 2021
Report Cards and MAP Scores are Coming Home!
Be on the look out for those to arrive in your mailboxes in the coming days. Please reach out if you have any specific questions!
Remote Learning January 5th-January 14th!
Omaha Public Schools will begin the second semester of the 2020-21 school year with a phased return to in-person learning. Staff will teach from their classroom and students will start the semester using their district-provided device from home as scheduled on Tuesday, Jan. 5.
- Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2021: All students begin with remote instruction following the normal bell schedule. JP Lord School and the Zoo Academy return in-person five days a week.
- Monday, Jan. 11, 2021: K-12 ACP, Transition, Elementary BSP, Early Childhood Special Education, Homebased/Homebound and Hearing Impaired classrooms return in-person five days a week.
- Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021: All students return in-person following the Family 3/2 Model attendance calendar. Gateway to College, OPS/UNO Middle College Program, Parrish, and the Student Success Program return in person five days a week.
The Remote Learning Program will remain an option for students who wish to continue learning full-time from home during the second semester.
Students waiting to phase into school will follow the adjusted bell schedule for remote learning. This is the same bell schedule followed at the start of the first quarter. Click here to see the bell schedule. There is no school on Jan. 4th or Jan. 15th for teacher work/professional development days. Have a great Winter Break!
Second Semester School Plans
Second Semester Attendance
As we return to in-person learning in phases after Winter Break, families can plan for their student to continue attending school the same way they did before break (in-person or through the remote learning program). Need to switch your student’s plan? Contact their school directly after Winter Break to request a change. Call Buffett at (531) 299-2320
See our updated calendar with yellow and blue in-person attendance days marked for second semester here.
Second Semester School Calendar
Click here to access the calendar for the remaining semester of school. It includes the A/B days as well.
20-21 Yearbook Orders Deadlines!
Our yearbook deadlines are swiftly approaching. Here is a quick reminder of our upcoming deadlines:
- February 1st: Last day to purchase student ads.
- January 31st: Last day for yearbook pre-order. (We normally have extra copies at the end of the year, but it is safest to pre-order.
- Yearbook Price: $40
- Yearbook Ads: Price varies. (See the Walsworth link below to purchase).
Important: We have opened up yearbook ads for all grade levels (not just 8th grade) because of the crazy school year. Please consider purchasing a yearbook ad to commemorate your students' year of remote learning.
Please purchase yearbook and/or ads online at: https://yearbookforever.com/schools/alice_buffett_magnet_middle_school_buy_yearbook_424/
We will be previewing parts of the yearbook in the next few weeks. Follow us on Twitter at @YearbookBuffett for previews and requests for photos.
Photos can be uploaded to our server with the Yearbook Snap app. Find our school and use the password yearbook2021 so we can have more photos of our remote Bobcats. 🙂
If you have any questions, reach out to Mrs. Mallett Smith at Jennifer.MallettSmith@ops.org
New Attendance Information
- if your student is attending "in-person" and you choose not to send them to school on their "in-person" day, they will be marked absent for the day even if you have them do remote learning for the day
- if they are supposed to be "in-person" they need to be here "in-person" on their correct days unless they are sick, or you call them out for a different reason
- if you decide to move your student to "remote learning" you will need to contact the Buffett School Office at 531-299-2320
Scholastic Picture Retakes
Buffett is offering picture retakes for students that missed the original date or who would like to try again!
The dates for the retakes are the afternoons of Tuesday, January 26th for A-K students and Thursday, January 28th for L-Z students. Fully remote students can come either day, and are directed to the front of the line so they can be in the building the shortest amount of time possible. Call before you come to school for specific retake times.
iPad and Teams Tips for Second Semester
Delete all unnecessary: