East High Street Family Flyer
Week of August 16th and 23rd
From the Principals' Desk...
Good Afternoon, East High Families!
We are so happy to welcome our leaders back to school soon! Below is some information you will need to know for the first week of school and also information on the procedures for this school year at East High.
The Family Flyer will be sent to families every other week with our next edition being sent out on Sunday, August 29, 2021.
Please reach out if you have any questions! We cannot wait to see our leaders on the first day of school!
Kari Bittinger, East High Street Principal
Kindergarten Parent Night - Tuesday, August 17th from 6:30-7:30 at East High Street Elementary
We hope to see you there!
Kindergarten Conferences - August 23-27, 2021
Students who are entering kindergarten will attend school with an adult on their scheduled day/time of the kindergarten conference.
- Adults attending the kindergarten conference must have an ID ready. We will be utilizing the Guardian Gate system and an ID is required.
- Please have only your child and up to 2 adults attend the conference.
- This is a 15 minute student centered conference where your child will be working with his/her teacher.
- While the child is meeting with the teacher, the families will be asked to fill out information about their child.
The Child/Parent Conferences will be held during the afternoons of August 23rd and 26th and in the mornings on August 24th, 25th, and 27th, and will last approximately 20 minutes.
Families may register and/or edit an existing conference date from Wednesday, August 11, 2021, through Wednesday, August 18, 2021. Once the scheduling window has closed, please contact the East High Street office directly to schedule or edit a conference.
As a reminder, there is NO SCHOOL for kindergarten students on the conference days.
Parents may register and/or edit an existing conference date from Wednesday, August 11, 2021, through Wednesday, August 18, 2021.
Open House for Grades K-2
We can't to see all of our leaders and their families!
Important Information if your child is using district transportation
IMPORTANT: On July 6, 2021, the district was notified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education that under the Federal order issued in January 2021, the CDC requires face coverings, regardless of vaccination status, when on public transportation -- this includes on school buses operated by public and private school systems.
Special Notes for the First Week Only
The First Day of School
- All grade 1 and 2 students will meet their teachers in the cafeteria on the first day of school. We have plenty of adults around the building to direct your child on where to go. These adults will be around the entire first week to help students!
Students in grades 1 and 2
- Students in grades 1 and 2 will start school utilizing an early dismissal schedule for the ENTIRE week due to the fair.
- 8:50 AM to 12:30 PM (students will have an earlier lunch at school)
- Breakfast and lunch will be served during our early dismissal days. You may want to consider a smaller lunch since the students will be eating at an earlier time.
Dismissal for the Week of August 23rd
Dismissal will be starting at 12:30pm during the first week of school. Below are the approximate times of dismissal. These times are subject to change throughout the week until we figure out what will work best for our students, staff and families. Thank you in advance for your patience and flexibility as we work through our dismissal process.
Early Dismissal Schedule
Order of dismissal:
12:30 - Mini Buses (Round 1), Group A car rider
12:35 - Gears
12:40 - 1st and 2nd grade walkers
12:45 - Mini Buses (round 2)
Car riders and Buses will be dismissed throughout the times above based on the arrival of transportation.
Safety and Security During the Fair
During fair week, there will be extra district personnel and law enforcement around East High, Bear Creek and the fairgrounds to ensure the safety of our students during arrival and dismissal.
Attendance for Fair Week
The 2021/2022 school year begins for all Elizabethtown Area School District students in grades 1-12, on August 23, 2021. This week will consist of half-days, ending at 12:35pm for students in grades 1-5, and 11:23am for students in grades 6-12.
If your student is actively participating in a fair-related event (ie showing and/or caring for animals) which will require an excusal from school, please complete an Individual Learning Experience form, to ensure that your student’s attendance adequately reflects the absence reason. CLICK HERE for a link to East High's Educational trip form for the 2021-2022 school year.
Please note that this is only for students actively participating in fair events, not for students who attend the fair for leisure during the day or evening hours.
If you have questions, please reach out to the building principal of your child’s school, or contact Jennifer Fields/EASD Home & School Visitor, at email@example.com.
From the PTO...
Melissa Cook - Co-President and interim treasurer
Sara Leitham - Co-President
Rebecca Bergeron - Vice President
Ellie Strickler - Secretary
2021-2022 PTO Meeting Dates
PTO Meetings will be held in person (This is subject to change given the fluidity of the pandemic and possible revisions needed to the Health and Safety Plan during the school year) and on Zoom. Links will be shared via School Messenger and Seesaw on the day of the meeting.
- September 23, 2021 @ 6:30
- November 4, 2021 @ 6:30
- January 13, 2022 @ 6:30
- March 10, 2022 @ 6:30
- May 5, 2022 @ 6:30
Open positions in the PTO
We currently have open positions in the PTO. If you are interested in any of the positions, please contact the PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Treasurer - See description below
Book Fair Organizer (Commitment: One week in fall and one in spring)
PTO Back to School Raffle
East High PTO would like to support our incoming students with a chance to win some new school supplies. Please submit 1 form for each East High student by Wednesday, 8/18. Winners will be notified on 8/19 and supplies can be pickup up on Thursday, 8/19 during Open House (2:00-3:30) or on Friday, 8/20 from 8:00-4:00.
We wish everyone a successful and fun school year!
East High Street Procedures for the 2021-2022 school year!
Please contact the office if you have any questions.
1. Car rider (line located closest to the turf field)
2. Walker (Front of Building)
3. Bus (lot on the playground side)
Upon arrival, students will report directly to their classrooms or get a Grab and Go breakfast from the cafeteria.
For the first day of school, all students in 1st and 2nd grade are asked to report to the cafeteria to meet their teacher!
Don't worry! For the first week, we have a lot of extra adults helping to make sure students know where they are going! Please review with your child the grade they are in and teacher they will have. It will help the adults to know where to take them!
Families who wish to pick up their child(ren) in the car rider line MUST have a car rider tag issued from the office. If you do not have tag then you will be asked to report to the office, with your ID to pick up your child(ren) and tag. Once a tag is obtained, you may use the car rider line.
Students are dismissed from their classrooms. Car rider may take some extra time until this new procedure is learned by the students and staff. Thank you for your patience!
Directions for Families for Car Rider
• Enter the parking lot by turning right from East High Street.
• Have the car rider tag displayed on the passenger side visor.
• If you do not have a tag, you will need to park your car, go to the office, and sign out your student (with ID).
• Follow the car rider line around the outside of the parking lot.
• When you enter the parking lot, make sure the teacher on duty gets the names of who you are picking up.
• When it is your turn, please pull up to the next available cone.
• Your child(ren) will walk to your car.
• All children must enter the car on the passenger side (no children walking in the parking lot).
• No adults should exit cars.
• Children must enter the car quickly and be able to buckle themselves in.
• If your child(ren) cannot buckle, please pull into a parking space and buckle them there.
• Once your child is in the car, please pull to the stop sign and turn right onto East High Street.
Added notes for Arrival
You may need to turn off the child locks on your car to ensure your child is able to exit the car by themselves.
If your child is unable to get out of the car or their car seat independently, then please consider having your child leave as a walker out of the front doors. This will allow you to park and assist your child in the car. (See below for walker information).
- If your child is walking to school, we ask that they arrive no earlier than 8:25am. We do not have a staff on duty until 8:30am.
- Please consider waiting in the grassy area by the East High sign instead of directly in front of the building.
- Walkers will be dismissed by grade level this year to ensure there are not too many kids in the hallways at one time.
Students are permitted to bring a healthy snack to school since some lunches will be very early or late. Teachers will be sending out specifics about snacks for their classrooms.
If your child is packing, please have them practice opening items by themselves.
Easier to Open
Harder to Open - Please practice at home!
SchoolPay is a payment service that allows families to pay for items such as lunch accounts and athletic fees online at your convenience. With SchoolPay, there is no need for cash, or sending money with students. Pay online from anywhere, at any time, on any device via Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or electronic check.
Picking/Dropping off your child during the day
Families who have students who are arriving at school late or leaving school early due to appointments or other reasons may park in the visitor spaces out front. Please walk your child to the front door and ring the bell. Someone can assist you from there.
If you have an excuse or form that needs to be submitted to the office, please take a picture of the document and email it to our attendance email (EH_Attendance@etownschools.org)
Did your child forget something at home?
- If your child forgot something at home, families can drop off the items in the office. You will not be permitted in the main office but you will be able to enter the vestibule to drop off the item.
Please have your child’s name and teacher on the item and the item will be delivered to your child.
Reporting your Child Absent
- Call the East High office (717-361-0099) and press option 7. Please state your name, your child’s name, teacher’s name and reason for absence.
- Email the attendance email and provide your name, your child’s name, teacher’s name and reason for absence.
- East High Families: EH_Attendance@etownschools.org
Changes in transportation or schedule
Please note: If you have a transportation change after 9:00 AM, please only call the main office and DO NOT email the teacher or the attendance email. We cannot guarantee the email will be received throughout the day.
We send children home the way they are assigned so any changes in transportation need to be communicated in a timely manner.
Educational Trips for the 2021-2022 School Year
Information about the Form:
- The completed form must be received in the building principal's office at least five (5) days in advance of the tour or trip.
- Check the status of your request on EASD's online Community Portal on the attendance link. You are able to check future absences.
- Forms that are received with less than 5 days notice may be coded as illegal absences
This link can also be found on the East High page on the District website.
Apply for Free/Reduced Lunch Benefits
As a participant in the National School Lunch Program, the Elizabethtown Area School District provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to children each school day. Free and reduced price meals are offered to every family who meets the guidelines as set forth by the National School Lunch Program. Families experiencing unusual hardships such as high medical expenses, special education expenses of a child, or disaster or casualty losses are encouraged to apply for benefits.If you feel that you qualify, the district invites you to fill out an application(available at the school office or click the link below) and return it to the school. The information you provide to the district is completely confidential and will be used to determine your eligibility for free or reduced price meals. If you have completed an application for free and reduced price meals, it is still your responsibility to see that your child has adequate lunch money or a packed lunch until you are notified of your eligibility.
Although all students are eligible for a free meal in 2021-22, not completing an application could impact other benefits that you may be entitled to receive.
CLICK HERE to access the information you need to fill out the online form! A new form must be filled out each school year.
Parent/Guardian Technology Center
EASD students use electronic devices to access online resources for classroom instruction. Students in grades K-2 use iPads and Chromebooks while students in grades 3-12 use Chromebooks. Upon registering in the district, student technology accounts are created automatically so they are able to log in to district devices and access online instructional resources. Please read the information in the Technology Center to learn more about the student devices, technology accounts and troubleshooting measures.
Parents are encouraged to create their own technology accounts in our school systems to access their student's demographic information, digital report cards, and daily classroom instruction and grades.
For more specific information, such as where to find your student's Schoology Parent Access code please email email@example.com.
Some Information about Seesaw!
All of the students and teachers in grades K-2 will be utilizing Seesaw again this school year.
Please view the Introduction to Seesaw for Families video below.
Teachers will be sharing paper invites at Open House, Kindergarten Parent Night, or it will be sent home the first week of school.
Connecting Families to the Family App
Let’s work together.
When teachers and families work together, outcomes improve. We’re using Seesaw because it supports strong relationships between teachers, students, and families. Together, we can support and celebrate your child’s learning inside and outside the classroom!
Makes your child’s thinking and learning visible so we can see and celebrate their growth over time
Opens communication between home and school, so we can share ideas to best support your child’s learning at home and at school
Gives your child an authentic audience for their work -- you! -- which motivates them to do their best
Connect to your child’s learning on the Seesaw Family app.
- Look for an invite from your child's teacher during open house or kindergarten conferences to join the Family App.
- Download the instructions below (English and Spanish versions available on 1 document) to connect to the Family App. You can also watch the video below.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Bittinger or your child's classroom teacher.