Pregnancy - Lactation
Most women only need an extra 200 calories when pregnant. Women who are breastfeeding need a higher caloric need of nutrient dense foods such as fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins.
What should you eat during pregnancy?
- Fruits & vegetables: They may be in the form of juice, dried, canned, frozen or fresh
- Carb-rich foods: potatoes, rice, pasta, and bread.
- Protein: fish, lean meat and chicken, & eggs. For vegetarians, tofu and soy products, beans, lentils, legumes, nuts, seeds and nut butters are also good sources of protein.
- Fats: olive oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil, canola oil, avocadoes, and many nuts and seeds.
- Fiber: Wholegrain foods, such as wholegrain bread, wild rice, wholegrain pasta, pulses, fruit and vegetables.
- Calcium: milk, cheese, milk and yogurt. For vegans, fortified soy milk and juices, soybeans, broccoli, collards, & kale.
- Zinc: Chicken, turkey, ham, shrimp, crab, oysters, fish, dairy products, beans, peanut butter, & nuts.