Laburnum Community Connection
Family Edition - September 26, 2021
Greetings Laburnum Families,
We have successfully completed our first full week of school. Thank you to our staff for doing an amazing job ensuring our students are having an amazing and productive start to the school year . We also want to say thank you to our families for your patience and support as we work to provide our students with the best school experience possible. Together we will work to make this an amazing school year.
Continue reading below for important updates and reminders.
Click on the link below for previously shared newsletters.
Laburnum Elementary School's fundraiser starts today, and we need your help. Fundraiser packets were sent home with students on last Friday. Our goal is to raise money for essential programs not currently funded through traditional means.
It's as simple as 1, 2, 3!
- Register NOW at www.ShopFund.com
- Share custom support links with family & friends via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Email, Text and more.
- Student Goal: 5 Online Supporters.
REGISTER-SHARE-WIN: Sharing gets you tickets for chances to win over $100,000 in instant prizes.
- Why We Fundraise - (https://vimeo.com/showcase/8770826)
- How To Videos - (https://vimeo.com/showcase/8752027)
- Kick-Off Videos - (https://vimeo.com/showcase/8748812)
- Parent Letter - (https://bit.ly/3CuCjXg )
- Prize Program - (https://bit.ly/2BnoqQS )
Family Honor Roll
School Health Updates
As a reminder, we will not be reporting positive COVID cases and exposures in our newsletter rather than a separate communication. Please see below for this past week's update.
This week (9/20 - 9/24) our school recorded 1 positive COVID case 5 exposures. All close contacts have been notified.
All safety information and processes can be located at https://henricoschools.use/health-safety
Please note that contact tracing is conducted by the Richmond Henrico Health Department for positive cases. This is independent from the school. You must wait to hear from Richmond Henrico Health Department for your official return to school date. They will refer to the return to school date as an isolation/quarantine agreement.
Classwork while Quarantining:
While your student is quarantined at home, we will do everything we can to keep you and your child up to date on classwork.
- Your child's teacher will reach out to you (via phone or email) within 24 hours to establish a plan for how your child will remain up to date with assignments.
- Students can access Dreambox, Lexia, or SmartyAntz (KG only).
- Some assignments may be posted on Schoology.
- The work provided will be sufficient to ensure that students are up to date on what's being taught in class. The work will not be equivalent to a full day of instruction at school.
Reminders from the Nurse:
- If your child is sick, please do not send him/her to school. Contact the nurse at (804) 228-2720.
- If your child must stay home, be sure to follow the guidance from the nurse to avoid delaying your child's return to school.
- Students must be symptom free without medication for 24 hours before returning to school. This is true even if they have a return to school note.
- If you are required to provide a doctor's note, we must receive the note BEFORE your child returns to school.
- Please see this flowchart for the most recent information regarding students with a positive COVID test or is a known exposure to a an individual who tests positive.
- School starts at 7:20 each day. Students are considered tardy if they arrive 7:40 or later.
- Notify the school by calling the front office at (804) 228-2720 if your child will be absent from school. See below for acceptable reasons to excuse a student's absence.
Acceptable excuses for temporary absence from school include the following:
1. Illness of pupil (including mental health and substance abuse illnesses)
2. Serious illness in family which reasonably necessitates absence of the pupil
3. Death in family
4. Special and recognized religious holidays regularly observed by followers of
6. For middle and high school students, one school day per school year to
engage in a civic event
7. Other reasons approved by the principal
- Our attendance team regularly monitors student attendance. Families of students with five or more unexcused absences will require to meet to develop a support plan for attendance.
Dismissal Procedures - Reminders
If you are picking up your student after 1:45 PM, you will need to go through the car rider line. We will not be dismissing students from the office after this time.
If you are walking your child to school or walking home with your child, please wait at the top of the sidewalk near the parking lot. Due to safety concerns we do not want people crossing through the buses on the bus loop in the morning and afternoon. Please have your orange pick up/car rider tag with you.
Car RidersPlease have your car rider tag displayed in your vehicle upon arrival. If someone else is picking up your child, they must have your car rider tag.
Please note that the traffic pattern has changed to allow for a safer flow of traffic during arrival and dismissal. Please see the linked map below of the updated traffic pattern.
Lastly, vehicles are not permitted to park in the bus loop, which is located directly in front of the building.
All early dismissal requests must be submitted in writing to the classroom teacher. We cannot honor early dismissal requests via email or phone. Early dismissal will not occur after 1:45. This is a busy time as we prepare for dismissal.
Laburnum School Calendar of Events - Click the link below to see our school events for the entire year. This dates are subject to change due to circumstances.
11 - Q1 Interim Reports Due, 1st - 5th ONLY
19 - PTA General Meeting/Parent Workshop
26 - Principal Chat & Chew
Join the PTA
Don't forget to join our wonderful PTA! The cost is only $7.00 if paying cash. If you pay online, there is a .50 cent processing fee. Use the membership link below or stop by the school. There are additional links for grandparents, business owners, and community members. Please share the links where appropriate.
https://laburnumpta.memberhub.com/store/items/73782 Parent/Guardian Link
https://laburnumpta.memberhub.com/store/items/73783 Grandparent Link
https://laburnumpta.memberhub.com/store/items/73792 Business Link
https://laburnumpta.memberhub.com/store/items/73832 Community Link
Papa John's Fundraiser - Use the code "Laburnum" when ordering pizza from Papa John's. Our PTA will receive a portion of the money to support our students and staff. See flyer below.
Follow us on Social Media
Stay in the know by following us on social media at the accounts below. We post important events and pictures to share all the great things happening at Laburnum.
Just click like or follow. We will also share information via those accounts. You can also scan the QR codes below with your phone and be taken directly to each page.