Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - October 22, 2021
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from Dr. Ostroski
Fundraisers & Service Projects
Kudos and Celebrations
Kudos and Celebrations
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
AP Exam Info
Durham Bus Information
Fall Activity Guide
The Mustang Club (former PBC)
A Letter from Your Blue Valley North Principal
To start off this week’s newsletter, I need to brag on a group of teachers who received some very exciting news last night. Abby Cornelius, Terri Snethen, Alison Crane, and Miles Riley were all awarded a $15,000 grant from the Women’s Giving Circle and BVEF grant competition. This team presented an idea entitled “BVN Girls’ Garage” with the goals of:
- Providing a safe, inclusive space for girls to learn about principles of construction, engineering, carpentry, architecture, sculpture, and design
- Empower girls to become independent and heard by solving tangible problems using their hands and tools in a project-based learning environment
- Solve problems in our school and surrounding communities with an emphasis on adaptability, sustainability, and equity in fields often dominated by males
$15,000 is a lot of money and I can’t wait to see this idea evolve into an exciting program within our school. This will undoubtedly impact many lives at Blue Valley North, and I am so proud that these teachers have a heart for this work.
On a separate note, as we move through 1st semester, we have experienced a large amount of students arriving late to school each morning. Please encourage your student to make the necessary plans to be in school with enough time to be in their 1st hour class at 7:40 and their 2nd hour class at 8:25. We are working on the administrative level on a system to hold late students accountable for the class time missed. Please note that we know that our bus situation has been challenging and we will never penalize students who arrive late due to a bus issue.
In closing, congratulations to the Mustang Tennis Team for finishing 2nd at State and for our Golfers who placed 18th and 19th at State. Best of luck to the rest of our teams as we embark upon the fall postseason!
Have a great weekend, Mustangs!
Fundraisers & Community Service Drives
The Brass Onion is hosting a "Give Back Night" next Tuesday, October 26th. 10% of sales between 3:00 - 9:00 p.m. will be donated to the North Stars Dance Team. This will help the team fund their trip to NDA Nationals in Orlando, FL. Thank you for support from our Mustang Family!
Kudos and Celebrations (new)
Congratulations to the Volleyball Team for a fantastic regular season. The Mustangs finished the regular season 33-2 and won the State Line Showdown on Saturday beating Nationally ranked Liberty North in the finals. The Mustangs host sub-state on Saturday by obtaining the #1 seed in our side of the state. The finals will occur around 4:30 vs. Olathe South or SM East. We would love a big crowd for a solid home court advantage.
Counseling, Academics & Testing (updates)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- The deadline to drop a class for this semester has passed. Students must stay in their current classes for the remainder of the semester and take a grade. Students may see their counselor to make changes for 2nd semester.
- Juniors and Seniors may sign up for BVN-only virtual admissions presentations by college reps on Naviance->Colleges->College Visits. Visits for next week: Syracuse University, Babson College, Millikin University, SUNY at Purchase College, University College Dublin and American University.
- Senior college admissions: Counselors have visited with seniors in ELA classes to discuss the college application process and offered additional sessions for students using the Common Application. Seniors who have additional questions are encouraged to see their counselor.
- Junior College Planning
- Counselors met with Juniors in English classrooms this week to discuss using Naviance for Career ad College Planning. A timeline for college exploration and admission testing was included.
- Counselors will offer two parent college planning Zoom presentations for Junior parents/guardians – October 25th at 6:00 p.m. and November 16th at 7:45 a.m. Please refer to email sent on 10/18/21 with Zoom links and other details.
Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership Program opportunity for the Class of 2024! Please view this document for information on the program, application process, and the contact for questions.
- Parents must submit the Diploma and Transcript Authorization Form before the school is able to send transcripts to colleges for your student.
- For AP test registration, see AP Registration Information
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
How to Have a Mental Health Check-In with Your Teen
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time returns on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office. It's also posted on the BVN website. When there are schedule changes due to a shortened school week, during finals, etc., it will be announced in North Notes and listed on the EKL calendar, BVN’s school calendar.
Here is a link to the Bell Schedule which is on the BVN website: BVNBELLSCHEDULE .
Mark Your Calendar
November 1: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning for Teachers
November 24-26: NO SCHOOL/Thanksgiving Break
December 17: Finals H1 (7:40-9:00); H2 (9:10-10:30); Early release at 10:30
December 20: Finals H3 (7:40-9:00); H4 (9:10-10:30); H5 (10:40-12:00); Early release at 12:00
December 21: Finals H6 (7:40-9:00); H7 (9:10-10:30 am)/Early release at 10:30
Dec. 22-Jan 4: Winter Break
January 5: School Resumes
January 17: NO SCHOOL/Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Click here for the 2021-22 Blue Valley School District Calendar.
Does your student have everything they need for their school day? (new)
Please ask your student to make sure they have their laptop, class materials, projects, lunch and everything else they need for their school day before they walk out the door for school. BVN no longer allows parents to drop-off forgotten items. This will help prepare students for life after high school. Thank you!
Do you need to check your student out early for an appointment?
You can no longer send your student a text to get them released from class. Please send a note with your student that morning, and ask them to drop it off at the Attendance Office on their way to their first class. The attendance office window for students is located in the main foyer as you walk into the building. The Attendance Office can also be reached by calling 913-239-3001 or emailing AttendanceBVN@bluevalleyk12.org . We ask for a minimum of two hours’ notice. A pass is delivered to your student’s class and their teacher will give the pass to your student so they can check out in the Attendance Office before they leave. If you plan ahead, we can have your student waiting on you so you don't need to come into BVN. You can wait in your car.
Attendance Office Information
With over 1500 students, BVN has Rita Mouber, Attendance Manager, solely dedicated to overseeing student absences and early releases from class for appointments. Enter (913) 239-3001 in your phone’s speed dial or email firstname.lastname@example.org if your student will be absent from school. Include student’s first and last name, grade, reason for absence, your name and phone number. Rita checks email and voice mail constantly so please leave the information on her voicemail if she doesn’t answer her phone.
Blue Valley Dress Code Policy: Board of Education Appearance of Students Policy 3513
Student clothing shall be appropriate for students in the business of learning. Clothing or appearance that distracts from the purposes of the school shall not be permitted. Student clothing shall reflect a sense of self-respect and personal dignity.
District staff shall seek parent cooperation in encouraging students to adhere to this policy.
B.O.E. Adopted 25 Aug 1980
B.O.E. Amended 11 Oct 1999
B.O.E. Amended 10 Jul 2000
B.O.E. Reviewed 10 Mar 2014
School Photo Orders
If your student’s picture was taken on Picture Day (August 20) and you placed a pre-order for photos, the picture package was delivered to your student in their English class. If you did not pre-purchase a packet, your student was given a proof sheet with instructions for how to purchase from their website, www.rollandkc.com using your student's ID number as the password. If your student had their picture taken on Sept. 24 (Re-takes and Last Chance) your student's English teacher was given the proof sheets and picture packets to distribute. The new school IDs have not arrived yet, but we expect them soon.
Student ID Cards and Student Activity Passes
If a Student Activity Pass was purchased by August 24, it should be printed on your student's school ID card. If you’ve purchased a Student Pass after August 24, just have your student come to Student Services and fill out a form to request a new corrected ID.
Mustang Family Activity Pass
If you've recently purchased a Family Activity Pass or an Adult Individual Activity pass, you can have your student see Mrs. Miller in the Student Services office to request that it be printed.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at email@example.com .
Girls' Basketball Team
All girls interested in going out for the Girls' Basketball Team, there is a meeting on Friday, October 29, during the start of NorthTime. If you have question, see Coach Fritz.
Boys’ Basketball Team
There was a Boys' Basketball Tryout Meeting on Oct. 19. If you were unable to attend, see Coach Phifer. All physicals & athletic participation forms are due to Mrs. Anderson, BVN Main Office on Friday, November 12, by 3:00 p.m. in order to begin practice on November 15.
Girls' Wrestling Team
Girls' Wrestling will be holding an open mat during NorthTime on Tuesday, October 26. Come and try Wrestling with our new Head Coach, Mallory Meade. All are welcome to watch and/or participate in the open mat. Come with friends to learn some moves!
Our mission as a school is to empower girls using the sport of wrestling to become leaders in life. With the fast growth of Women's College Wrestling, the sport is only going to grow. Wrestling is a winter sport and practice officially starts November 15th. Sign-up now with Coach Spadoni in Mobile 2! All physicals & athletic participation forms are due to Mrs. Anderson, BVN Main Office on Friday, November 12, by 3:00 p.m. in order to begin practice on November 15. If you have any questions, talk to Coach Spadoni, in Mobile 2 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Wrestling pre-season conditioning has started, Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:00-7:30 p.m. This is the perfect opportunity to try out wrestling if you have never done it before. Everyone is welcome to participate, Boys and Girls. You MUST sign up with Coach Spadoni, in Mobile 2 or by email, for wrestling before you can participate. Please email Coach Spadoni for more information: email@example.com .
Boys' Swimming and Diving Team
- Student-Athlete Information Meeting was held on Friday, September 17
- Team/Parent Meeting will take place on Monday, November 8, at 6:15 p.m. in the Library.
- All physicals & athletic participation forms are due to Mrs. Anderson, BVN Main Office on Friday, November 12, by 3:00 p.m. in order to begin practice on November 15.
Student-Athletes Action Needed for 2021-22
Winter Sports begin on November 15, and physicals and KSHSAA required athletic participation forms (packets can be picked up in the main office) are due on Friday, November 12, by 3:00 p.m. If your student will be participating in a KSHSAA sponsored sport at BVN, every student-athlete needs a new physical completed, signed and dated (May 1, 2021, or after) by a physician. If your student athlete participated in a fall sport, they will already have their packet on file with the BVN Athletic Department. Here is a link to all the forms & physical on the BVN website PHYSICAL2021. The physical is just part of the paperwork required. All forms need to be printed, read, signed by a parent and student, and returned to BVN's Main Office. If you have questions, contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Assistant to the Athletic Director, at 913-239-3011 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- Info about ordering your Senior Tribute Ad--the final deadline is November 19. Turn in your ad materials now because no submissions will be accepted after the final deadline. Have questions? Email email@example.com
- A link to let us know how you want your senior's name printed on the diploma, along with authorizing the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- A link to order your cap & gown for graduation
- And MORE!
We will update the Canvas page as new info becomes available.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
Advanced Placement (AP) Exam Info
For the 2022 AP exams, students at Blue Valley North High School will be registering online. Online Exam registration will begin today and end on Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 4:00 PM. The AP exam registration process is two steps, but both can be completed in one sitting when the student and parent/guardian do this together. Even if you do not plan to take the AP exam, you need to complete both 2-3 steps to access the College Board’s AP resources. Both 2-3 steps must be completed in order to have AP exams ordered:
Step 1: Begin the process at the BVN Counseling Canvas Page to watch the video walking you through how to register for your AP exam as well as how to access your join codes at https://bvusd.instructure.com/courses/76177/pages/ap-testing.
Step 2: After watching the videos, Click on the AP Registration Website link. You will indicate both the AP courses you are taking this year and the exams you wish to take. You will receive your join codes and directions to complete the second required step. Any exam fees will be paid online so be sure to have a debit card or credit card available before beginning registration. Paying online is a great way to make sure that payment has been made while avoiding mailing payment. (the video shows the Mail option, but we HIGHLY recommend credit/debit cards for a timely payment)
Step 3: Use the join codes provided at the completion of step one to enroll the student's AP courses and exams in the College Board's system.
This year each AP exam costs $108.00. Blue Valley North High School desires that every student be able to take their AP exams. Students requiring financial assistance should contact Catie Bosch, email@example.com, or go to Student Services to learn more.
Here are the important dates for the registration process:
- Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 1:44 PM - Registration Begins
- Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 3:00 PM - Registrations and payments after this date will incur a $40 late fee per exam.
- Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 4:00 PM - Registration Ends
- Mon, Mar 14, 2022 - Registrations that have not been paid for will be cancelled and exams will not be ordered.
- Thu, Mar 10, 2022 - Last day to cancel an exam and receive a full refund.
Please contact Catie Bosch, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you would like to register for an exam not listed or have any questions.
Grease, The Musical Auditions
Musical Auditions are just around the corner on November 3rd and 4th in the PAC from 3:15-5:15 p.m.! Audition information and materials will be available outside Mrs. Cain’s room beginning the week of October 25. Call-backs will be November 5th. See Mrs. Cain or Mr. Sickel with questions about being part of the cast or crew and Mr. Wagoner for information about joining the pit orchestra. Grease will be live in the BVN PAC on February 3-5, 2022.
BVN has a TSA/Engineering club, and the sponsor is Mr. Riley. They have only had one meeting and want to get the word out for other students to join. They meet every other Friday during the second half of North Time. Our club is for students who are interested in engineering and would be interested in competing in the TSA competition. If you need any other information about the club, please stop by room 522 and talk with Mr. Riley.
National Honor Society
Mandatory induction practice is Monday, November 8, 2021 at 7:00 a.m. and Mandatory Induction is Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 6:30.p.m. upon approval of candidacy.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. during school hours. This office closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. each day (except in the case of emergency). Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. Please contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or by email at AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
NEW MAWD DRIVE-IN TESTING CLINIC
On October 4, MAWD Labs has agreed to provide COVID-19 testing appointments for Blue Valley students, staff and their immediate family members. Appointments can be scheduled for eligible individuals who are symptomatic or asymptomatic.
PCR SALIVA TESTING KIT INFORMATION:
- Location: MAWD COVID-19 Drive-In Testing Clinic at 14950 Newton St, Overland Park, KS 66223 (northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley District Campus)
- Hours: Monday-Friday (8:00 AM-3:30 PM)
- Testing Appointments and Information: Parents/Staff will make testing appointments by calling 913-239-4371. Upon arriving at your appointment, the staff member or parent will register, and provide testing consent. Registration includes name, DOB, race, ethnicity, email/text address, parent consent and which school the student attends. The district encourages individuals to only fill out boxes that are required. If an immediate family member, please use the code for the district (73020146). Coming Soon: Online appointments and registration.
- Parent Consent: Parents will complete the consent form that is part of registration. A parent/guardian must be with the student at the Drive-In clinic to give verbal permission at the time of testing.
- Test Results: Test results are sent to the email/text address provided at registration and to Blue Valley Health Services.
Questions? Call 913-239-4371
Prescription Meds at BVN - Action Needed
This is just a friendly reminder to all North parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. If you have any questions please contact the School Nurse Amanda Collichio at email@example.com.
Durham Bus Riders (updated)
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
BVN Fall Activity Guide
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Fall Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/mgfd/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
Please Join The Mustang Club during 2021-22!
After looking through the Fall Activity Guide, we hope you will be inspired to join The Mustang Club (the former BVN Parent Booster Club).
It financially supports BVN's extracurricular activities (similar to a PTO/PTA), and over the last 6 years, has granted over a half million dollars to support our school’s extracurricular activities, organizations, and athletic teams. We could not provide the depth and breadth of opportunities without your help through memberships and donations of your time.
The Mustang Club needs your support! Membership is down and volunteers are in short supply. Here are some options for you to consider:
· Become a Mustang Club member at one of the five membership levels;
· Purchase spirit wear from The Mustang Club website (www.bvnmustangs.com);
· Volunteer on a Mustang Club committee to support a specific event or cause. We specifically need a VP of Activities and a President Elect; and
· Take advantage of sponsorships for companies wanting to support BVN financially.
Thank you for your support and consideration and GO MUSTANGS!
SAVE THE Date - Buckaroo Bash January 29, 2022
You will not want to miss the biggest and best parent party in the Blue Valley School District! This fundraising event is a massive support for our students, and our hope is that this year’s event is an even bigger success than the last Bash, at which we made almost $28,000 to support our kids’ activities!
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday