Homeroom Buzz Room 220
Edition date: December 2015
- 5th Grade Performance is scheduled for Thursday, December 10th at 6:00pm. More details will follow about the time students need to arrive for the performance.
- I will be out of school Wednesday, December 9th thru Monday December 14th. My substitute will be Mr. Kevin Rumsey. If you have any questions or concerns while I am out, please contact Nancy McCullen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please send back the BLUE Health form that was sent home in today's Monday folder. It needs you to make a selection and sign.
- Please be on the look out for information concerning our "Winter Celebration." Our class celebration will be Friday, December 18th from 12pm-1pm. Our class co-parents will be sending out information soon concerning donations and volunteer requests.
Grades & Parent Portal
We are still working on our Expository Writing Unit! Students have turned in their 1st published draft. I am in process of grading it now. We have started working on our next Expository prompt. This will be our last essay, before we move onto another genre of writing.
We started Social Studies today! We are currently learning about the Constitution and the important Virginians who went to the convention to write the Constitution. Our VS 6 end of unit test will be Thursday, December 17th.
Mrs. Dettmann will start meeting with her reading groups this Wednesday, November 11th. Her reading groups will meet 2 times a week (Wednesday and Friday). If your child is in her reading group, please contact her with any questions or concerns at email@example.com.
Please be sure your student is turning in a signed reading log every Monday. It is a homework grade, and 120 min of reading needs to be verified by a parent weekly.
We have also started our "Wonderous Words" books! Each week the children have been asked to pick a word that they found interesting or that they learned and create a book page for the word. On the page they have been asked to illustrate the word, write a sentence using the word, give the part of speech of the word, and define it. They are to do 1 page a week and at the end of the school year, we will bind all of their "Wonderous Words" together in a keepsake book. This is project is written and illustrated by the student. Ask them what word was wonderous to them this week and have a conversation about it.
Don't let these dates buzz by you!
December 9th-11th - Mrs. Morris Absent
December 10th - Morris, Crickenberger, & Grogan Music Performance @ 6pm
December 17th - VS 6 End of Unit test
December 18th - 5th grade pajama day & Winter Celebration Day 12-1pm
December 21st - January 3rd - Winter Break
January 4th - School Resumes
Item Donations for STEAM Projects
We are in need of the following items for STEAM Projects. Most of the items are recyclable items from your household. Please send the items in, as you collect them. All of these materials will be used in our STEAM projects. Thank you!
- 4 inch styrofoam cubes (4)
- plastic bottles of various sizes
- plastic bottle lids
- duct tape
- Aluminum soda cans (rinsed and punch a hole in bottom)
- cardboard toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes
- scraps of cardboard
- Popsicle Sticks
- Bottles of Elmers Glue