Reading Part 1
Course Overview and Reflection
Some of the key highlights of this course...
Community Building Activities:
b) Diversegories - An ice breaking activity for building classroom community.
c) ABC Activity - This is an excellent activity for community building as well as teaching skills like word-families or creating word walls on a specific topic.
d) Inside-Outside circle - A fun strategy to promote collaborative learning . This activity provides opportunities for students to engage in prompt, on-topic discussions with their peers in a random order.
e) Rhythm Circle - A wonderful activity for community building where the students form a circle and agree upon a rhythm. Each student then says his/her name and one other peer's name while maintaing the rhythm.
This course offered several articles that are very imformative and would be instrumental in guiding my instruction in the future. Following is the list of my favourites:
1. Professional Learning 2.0 - This is a very informative article as it discusses the important role of technology in today's education.
2. Articles for Professional Learning Communities (PLC's) - These professional articles addressed some key literacy topics such as fluency development, careful planning of the learning blocks , use of comprehension strategies, content literacy and independent reading.
3. Talk in Action - A very useful handout that provides a list of various teaching strategies to promote collaborative learning in a classroom.
A Comprehensive Literacy program that highlights the importance of:
a) Meaning Maker
b) Code User
c) Text User
d) Text Analyzer
Amazing Learning Tools
Google Docs: This was another new learning opportunity for me as I became familiar with online tools for spreadsheet creation and its applications in education.
1. Kaylene Brar: Strategies for effective implementation of Running Records.
2. Melanie Mulcaster: Introduction to some of the very useful apps that can be incorporated in everyday teaching to promote interactive learning.
2. Another Story Bookstore - Looking forward to yet another wonderful experience amidst a treasure of books!