Woodlawn Early Years School
October 2016 Newsletter
I'd like to say a huge thank you for taking the time to attend the Meet Your Teacher evening this year. We had a 91% attendance rate! What an incredible turnout for a worthwhile, meaningful time to spend meeting your teacher and seeing your new classroom. This event helps reduce the anxieties of the first day. Your attendance was appreciated and contributed to the school having a smooth start.
Please take the time to read about all the exciting October events taking place at Woodlawn and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask your child's teacher, the office staff or one of the Principal's.
Vice Principal's Message
The destination for our House Rewards will be revealed at our next assembly. Parents will be notified of the date and time of the trip and asked to sign a permission form. If you have any questions at all please let me know.
International Walk to School Day
iWalk is an international event that encourages schools to try using active transportation to get to and from school. Thousands of Manitoba children will join millions of others from over 43 countries to celebrate walking and biking to school.
QSP MAGAZINE AND GIFT FUNDRAISER
Extra order forms are available from the school office. If you do not wish to participate in the fundraiser please recycle the brochures.
To ensure your child receives the prizes they earn and that your orders are processed efficiently please check that your order forms are completed properly. We plan to use the profits to support student programming such as bringing arts to our school and the Grade 4 Water Safety Program. As well these funds will be used for community building such as House Rewards, Meet Your Teacher and Celebration of Learning.
Go to the drop down menu of Departments/Transportation where you can choose:
1. School Bus Delay Bulletins where any bus that is late is posted with the approximate delay.
2. Steinbach Urban Bus Routes - Scroll down to select Woodlawn School and then select your bus number.
Thank you for checking these options before calling the Hanover School Division Transportation Department with your questions regarding bus delays and Steinbach urban bus routes times and maps. Any questions for transportation please call 204-320-2347.
BUS SAFETY WEEK OCTOBER 17-20
Things Parents Should Know About Bus Safety
- School buses are the safest form of transportation
- The most dangerous part of the bus ride is getting on and off the bus
- Young children are most likely to be struck because they:
- Hurry to get on and off the bus
- Act before they think and have little experience with traffic
- Assume motorists will see them
- Don't always stay within the sight of the driver
Things Children Should Know About Bus Safety
- Stand back from the curb
- NEVER run to or from the bus
- NEVER try to pick up something that has fallen under the bus
- Stay in your seat and sit quietly so that the driver is not distracted
- Wait for the driver's signal and then cross in FRONT of the bus
EVERYONE IN SCHOOL EVERYDAY - ATTENDANCE COUNTS
Here are some eye-opening facts regarding attendance:
- If a student is 10 minutes late for class every day they will miss 6 days of instruction per year.
- If a student misses 2 days of school per month they will miss one month of school in the school year.
- If a student misses 15 days of school per year they will miss an entire year of school by their senior year.
Please be supportive of school attendance for your child/children. Help your child get ready for school every day through such things as homework monitoring, regular bedtimes and planning for breakfast and lunches. We also encourage you to try scheduling doctor and dentist appointments during inservice days and school breaks when possible.