Dragon Roar: May 3, 2020
Daring Greatly in Faith, Academics & Service since 1960
Good Shepherd Sunday & Teacher Appreciation Week
Today the Church celebrates Good Shepherd Sunday because of the gospel passage from John.
Today's Gospel: Fourth Sunday of Easter, John 10:1-10
Jesus is the gate for his sheep.
Family Connection: Throughout John’s Gospel the Pharisees fail to accept Jesus’ ministry and teaching. They show themselves to be “robbers and thieves” because they try to lead the sheep without entering through the gate, Jesus. Through these metaphors, Jesus is telling his listeners that those who follow him and his way will find abundant life. He identifies himself both as the shepherd and the gate. The shepherds who are faithful to him are the ones whom the sheep (Jesus’ disciples) should follow. As shepherds move among the sheep, the sheep follow only their shepherd.
Jesus’ allegory also suggests that faithful Christian leadership requires a good relationship with the community: the shepherd knows his sheep, and they know him. Christian leaders follow the example of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, by being faithful to him and by being a good shepherd.
This week we celebrate some of our own shepherds that teach in the model of Christ: Our Teachers! See below for ideas on how to digitally join us in thanking our leaders.
Ms. Salazar and the SMCS Team
Complete Teacher Appreciation Week Form by Tuesday at 12PM, Takes 5 minutes tops!
This will take less than 5 minutes to complete. Please do one for each of your teachers.
Teacher Appreciation Week!!
Monday, May 4th, 8am to Friday, May 8th, 10pm
If you have gifts you want to give your teachers, please bring it to the office on Wednesday from 9AM to 10AM or Thursday from 5PM to 6PM. We will get your items to your teachers.
Meet our Thursday Speaker: Katie Spotz! World Record Holder!
WEDNESDAY LUNCH MOVED TO THURSDAY: GUEST SPEAKER, Katie Spotz, National Athlete!!
Thursday, May 7th, 12-1pm
Zoom Code: 362-174-5604, PSWD 1960
In 2010, Katie Spotz set the world record as the youngest person to row solo across the Atlantic Ocean. Katie wasn't just seeking to make history. She was also raising money for a cause she cares about—providing access to clean drinking water to everyone in the world. Along the way, Katie raised more than $150,000 for safe water projects in Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Kenya.
Katie visited water projects in Kenya and saw the results of the funds raised through her adventures. She challenged 10 schools to raise $100,000 for clean water. To celebrate, the students gathered and broke the world record for the most people carrying jugs of water on their heads.
Katie's story has been featured across international media, including the Discovery Channel, World News with Diane Sawyer, Anderson Cooper 360, NPR, and PBS News Hour, as well as in the New York Times and many other publications.
Katie now serves as an Officer in the United States Coast Guard, a unique branch in the military responsible for saving lives, protecting the environment, and defending America’s coastlines and waterways. Katie continues to be an advocate to make a positive difference in the lives of others. The need for clean water for all is her passion!
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
ADAPTATIONS/Updates THIS WEEK
- Adjusted Grading Period: Q4 Progress Reports for online learning March 23 to May 1 will be be released via email by Friday, May, 8.
- All grades from March 23 to May 1 are for PARTICIPATION. If your student turned in their work, they will receive full credit.
- The second half of Q4 will go from May 4 to May 29.
- For PreK to 2nd Grade: All Assignments will still be graded by participation.
- For 3rd to 8th Grade: HW practice will still be participation, everything else (projects, worksheets, tests, quizzes) will be by achievement/participation as deemed appropriate by teacher. We ask that students do this independently with parents/guardians as facilitator (i.e. not giving correct answer and helping your student understand the process/directions).
- We are figuring this system out together. Please be patient with us as we adjust and update RenWeb to reflect. Our priority at this time is not honor roll, but helping students stay connected and learn for the sake of learning.
- We will NOT have honor roll awards for 4th Quarter.
MAY FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE:
- We are here to help as resources allow! Thanks to the incredible generosity of our community AND potential PPP loan (application in processing---pray for us!), we can support on a family by family basis.
- Has your financial status changed? Do you need support? Please email email@example.com or call my remote learning financial assistance line at 210-650-2031 from 10AM to 6PM, Mon to Fri. We are here to help! If I miss you I will return calls in one business day.
BUSINESS OFFICE PHONE CALLS:
All accounts have been updated to reflect May financial survey. The last few calls are set for Monday for families requiring an additional phone call.
Thank you for your patience. Please email if you are waiting on a callback, we want to make sure we do not miss you!!
2020-2021 Tuition Assistance from Hope for the Future
1) Complete OR relog on to your 2020-2021 FACTS Application at https://online.factsmgt.com/aid if you had already filled one out, you can just log back in!
- You will have to pay $35 fee to FACTS (the Arch/HFF/we do not get this).
- I will reimburse ALL families that get charged $35 to fill this out for COVID related assistance on your May tuition.
2) You will need:
- 2018 OR 2019 tax documents along with their most recent W-2
- You may take pictures of their tax docs with their phone and upload those pictures directly into their FACTS application.
3) Should you need assistance editing their application you can contact the FACTS parent line at 1-866-412-4637.
4) The deadline for the 2020-2021 school year extended until June.
Please complete ASAP.
ARE YOU A PREK FAMILY NEEDING ASSISTANCE? Please email me directly, firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!
Events this Week
Please review EACH week as times are subject to change. Reminder, no online learning on Friday. Join morning announcements at 8:45AM on 4/24 in your FIESTA gear!!
Friday School Wide Zoom and Children's Mass
Friday, May 8th, 8:45-9am
Zoom, 362 -174- 5604
Weekly winner of family survey completion announced!
Join us if your schedule allows.
Children's Mass to Follow at 9AM.
REMOTE LEARNING HEADQUARTERS
Google Classroom Hack: Submitting Work and Checking Progress
Counselor's Corner: Note from Mrs. Moncrief, Class Code: 72fdwe3
Join Mrs. Moncrief for guidance lessons and check ins!
We have three ways to connect:
1. Email: I will do my very best and reply by the next day. If there is an emergency, contact Ms.
Salazar and she can get hold of me.
2. Zoom: Every day from 2:00 – 5:00 pm, Meeting ID: 865-730-234
3. Padlets: digital bulletin board. I add new things every week. Just browse and click on the
tiles. Hopefully, some things will be helpful.
Padlet for Parents, Password: Parent
Padlet for Students, Password: Student
Looking forward to supporting you!