Esperanza Week-at-a-Glance (WAG)
November 11 - 16, 2013
Quote of the Week
"Leaning isn't easy...EMBRACE STRUGGLE...and grow."
--Reflections from an Elementary School, venspired.com
College Rankings Released!
Denison and UC Berkeley hold #1 Rankings.
On the Road to Success: 4th Grade
Students take first steps towards 1.5 years reading growth!
Showcasing 1st grade writers
Scholars of the Week
- This week we will begin to recognize scholars of the week during Monday Meeting (held on Tuesday due to the holiday).
- Please input names in the Google Doc at the end of the week (by Sunday night at the latest): https://docs.google.com/a/ousd.k12.ca.us/document/d/1-Jp0Fn7Eoq5uBD9_Ic7tDAacHVycKqzn_E9zZ8DZZK0/edit
- A scholar of the week can be recognized for showing the previous week’s core value or for hard work, extra reading, improvement, etc.
- If you enter a student by 8:00 on Tuesday morning this week, she/he will be celebrated.
Fall Reading Festival on Saturday, November 16 at 10:00 a.m.
- Please encourage all students and their families to attend. Students will receive 2 free books and 5 scholarliness tickets!
- Please volunteer to run a station (sign up on the kitchen door in the office). Please arrive at 9:30 to help set up. The festival will begin in the auditorium at 10:00.
- Please visit the East Bay Book Project to collect donations for the festival. You may leave boxes of books in Wes’ office or the back row of the library (next to the Esperanza office).
- Please read the WAG each week. If you have any questions or need support with an expectations, please speak to Wes as soon as possible.
- Ms. Pena is updating the whiteboard daily with information from the WAG.
- Please read the monthly calendar and newsletter so you are aware of upcoming events. Google calendar is also accessible to all staff and many events are scheduled months in advance.
- Wes will hold periodic office hours to discuss issues with teachers (e.g. transition to common core, budgeting, and topics determined by staff).
Grade Level meetings are Back!
- With Fall revisions, we are now be able to compensate for a weekly hour of planning time for grade-level teams. Please put your grade’s meeting time on the Esperanza Calendar and begin to sign in for your meetings in the office each week.
Instructional Leadership Team
- ILT will be adding a K-2 representative. Please let Wes know if you are interested.
- ILT planned the scope and sequence of PDs for November/December. Minutes are attached: https://docs.google.com/a/ousd.k12.ca.us/document/d/1ZODN1WDIPlL6zsPp7M8K8w8KQYD-Dz-otFLaHkgh4ik/edit
November/December PD Calendar
- November 13: Common Core Reading Standards and Authentic Literacy (Mr. Jacques). K-1 Teachers may attend site-based PD or the Pre-K - 1 PLC (2:00 – 5:00)
- November 20: Unit Planning
- December 4: Academic Discussion in Science (Ms. Lara)
- December 11: Academic Discussion in Math (Ms. Syrowski)
- December 18: Sharing our Learning on Academic Discussions
- Math scores are due 11/20
- SWT (3-5) is due 12/6, but should be administered November 18 -22 to allow for make ups and scoring
- Please administer and score an assessment in Math and LA to score at data meetings on 11/18. You may use district assessments (Math or SWT) for data analysis or bring a teacher created assessment. You may choose to focus on a small number of students (e.g. students who have showed no reading growth at last month’s data meeting).
- No School: Veteran's Day
- Morning Meeting: 8:30 on the Back Yard
- Core Value of the Week: Diversity (I value different languages, cultures and people. Valoro a diferentes lenguajes, culturas y gente.)
- COST Meeting: 8:45 – 9:30
- PD: Common Core Reading Standards & Authentic Literacy (2:30 to 3:45)
- Reading Festival Check-in (all volunteers) at 4:00 in office/teacher’s lounge
- 2:00 Scholarliness Assembly: Please be prepared to have students say a chant or sing a song for your class college.
- ILT Meeting: 3:00 – 4:00
- Complete monthly assessments in LA and Math to analyze at minimum day on Monday 11/18.
- 4th Grade RALLY Training: 3- 5 p.m.
- Reading Festival 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. (volunteers arrive at 9:30).