Mrs. Bumatay's Bulletin
For Parents and Students
Volume 3 . Issue 22. Week of January 23, 2023
TRANSLATE THIS BULLETIN
- Select "Translate Newsletter" under the "Accessibility" box (top right) and choose your language.
- Seleccione "Translate Newsletter" en "Accessibility" (cuadro en la parte superior derecha) y elija su idioma.
Dear Cavalier Families,
Happy Lunar New Year! In Chinese, it is the Year of the Rabbit. In Vietnamese, it is the Year of the Cat. In either case, like any New Year, it is a time to reflect and hope that good fortune and good luck come our way! This Friday, Ms. Tina and Taffy Tom will be hosting some activities at lunch time for our students to celebrate the Lunar New Year.
It is also Great Kindness Week! Please participate in the dress up days and show kindness always. Ideas are listed below.
This week's announcements:
- Students, please fill out this iPad Needs form to assess if your iPad needs replacing. Some of you have older iPads that are not functioning at capacity. The District will start to replace these as soon as possible. Please fill it out as part of this week's Fun Friday eligibility along with the assigned Achieve3000 article
- Afterschool tutoring starts this week.
- There will be a community resource fair for parents on Wednesday, January 25th from 3:30 -4:30 pm. Free dry goods, school supplies and resources for you! Please enter at the G street gate.
- A secure campus drill will be held during fourth period on Thursday, January 26 during 4th period. Students will not be evacuating, teaching and learning continue as usual.
- The Assistant Principals, Mr. Flores and Ms. Meza, will be speaking with students in PE classes this Friday to review content in keeping ourselves and our school community safe, positive and healthy.
- COVID Test Kits will now be distributed only on Fridays in front of school from 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
- Rise Up Friday will be with the ENGLISH department this Friday.
- There will be Saturday School and Credit Recovery this Saturday.
- The next SSC meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 31st at 3:30 pm virtually. The agenda will be posted at least 72 hours in advance at our school lobby. Join Zoom Meeting: https://sweetwaterschools-org.zoom.us/j/81397527801
Meeting ID: 813 9752 7801
- The African-American Scholar Conference that will be held on February 4, 2023 from 9am-3pm at Otay Ranch High School.
If you are interested in participating, please click on the registration form below:
This is the link to the RISE Conference registration:
Bus transportation will be provided from Hilltop High School. Please register to get more information.
- There is a free online tutoring program provided by college students! College students from UCSD, SDSU and other colleges belong to a UCSD run student organization called the San Diego Tutoring Tree - https://sandiegotutoringtree.weebly.com/, Again, this is a free service where college students tutor in English, math, sciences and more. The tutor applicants are screened by UCSD and receive safety training as well. Tutoring occurs virtually through password-protected zoom sessions 1 - 3 times a week for up to 3 hours at no cost. If you need more intense tutoring check them out.
- Parents, do you need help with JupiterGrades, Infinite Campus, the iPad? Please sign up for an appointment with Ms. Tina Tom, our online coach! Please fill out this form.
- We are experiencing a heavy flu season. If you are not feeling well, please stay home to prevent spreading the sickness. Parents, please call in your student's absence to the main office if necessary.
- Attention 8th graders and Parents/Guardians: the District has decided to validate your middle school credits with second semester grades. What this means is that if you pass all of your classes this semester, you will be able to walk in the promotion ceremony at the end of the semester. Work hard to pass all of your classes! Here is the letter that was sent in December.
Please feel free to contact myself or one of the Assistant Principals with any questions.
Mr. Guillermo.Flores@sweetwaterschools.org is our 8th grade Assistant Principal
Ms. Georgina.Meza@sweetwaterschools.org is our 7th grade Assistant Principal
In your service,
Mrs. Lora Bumatay