Central Wisconsin Autism Support
April Autism Awareness.... here are some highlights from Glenis Benson- Autism Consultant
IEP Advice from: Glenis Benson
1) Who is this going to help, the child or the adult (teacher)? Primary focus should be the child.
2) Ask "lf _____ doesn't learn how to do this, will someone have to do it for him/her?"
For instance, if Johnny doesn't learn how to button his pants, will someone have to do it for him? YES!
If Johnny doesn't learn to trace his hand will someone have to do it for him? NO!
3) If there is a behavior problem, turn it into a goal. What is he/she doing that is really problematic? For instance the goal should not be: will stop running and hiding. The goal should be: will somehow say "stop" or "no" to protest.
4) The communication goals should always include receptive and expressive language goals no matter how verbal the child is.
5) Parents should not attend IEP meeting alone- take an advocate with you.
6) If a child with an ASD "won't' do a task- assume they "CAN'T" do it! Find a way to teach them.
Iola Aquatic Center PRIVATE Swim Party
Saturday, April 30th, 10am-12pm
445 South Jackson Street
We have reserved the pool for our group only!
Enjoy the waterslide and wading pool.
UWSP Rock Climbing
Sunday, May 1st, 12:30-2:30pm
UWSP Climbing Wall 2050 4th Ave. Stevens Point, WI 54481
This is a private event for our group.
Everyone is welcome to climb.
UWSP does require each climber to fill out a waiver.
Exceptional Child Night
Monday, May 2nd, 5-7pm
1100 Main Street
Stevens Point, WI
Sensory Friendly Free Time
Special Needs Play & Family Networking at Blu Play Cafe
Sunday, May 15th, 5:30-7:30pm
1000 East Riverview Expressway
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Blu Play is kind enough to open its doors to special needs children to play in a non-over stimulating environment.
*meal is provided
*free for families with special needs children
Sweet Frog Fundraiser
Wednesday, May 18th, 4-8pm
Sweet Frog Frozen Yogurt 140 Crossroad Drive Plover
Enjoy a treat and help raise money for our group!
Stop by between 4-8 pm and mention our name- we will receive 20% of the sales!
Autism/Sensory Friendly Private Movie Viewing- Angry Birds
The movie company does not allow public advertising of this "PRIVATE" event.
Please e-mail for prices, dates, & times