By: Megan Mueller (hour 7)
2 Sub Groups
Refined Grains- have been milled which is a process that removes the bran and germ in order to give grains a finer texture
What Is An Ounce?
- 1 slice of bread
- 1/2 cup of cooked rice
- 1 cup of cereal
Iron is important to our body because it is used to carry oxygen in the blood.
- dietary fiber
Dietary Fiber is important to our body because it helps reduce blood cholesterol and lower heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
- folate (Vitamin B)
Folate is important to our body because it helps form red blood cells.
- consuming whole grains as part of a healthy diet may reduce the risk of heart disease
- consuming foods containing fiber, such as whole grains, as part of a healthy diet, may reduce constipation
- eating whole grains may help with weight management
- eating grain products fortified with folate before and during pregnancy helps prevent neural tube defects during fetal development
- brown rice
- rolled oats
- wild rice
Food Label Tips
- look for the words "multi-grain" "100% wheat" to tell if it is not a whole-grain product on the food labels
- read the food labels to tell if it has any added sugars