Monday, August 31, 2015
- Member Rights/ Actions: Issues to be Aware of...
- Upcoming Events: Back to School Mixer @ Lied Center, Taste of Lawrence, New Member Mixer
- Items to Act On: Connect w/ LEA via Remind text messages, Leave donation pools
- News to Know from LPS: Free Fingerprinting Services
- Did You Know: LEA School Wires webpage
Member Rights & Actions
Issues to be Aware of...
- As we have started the year LEA has helped resolve issues with schedules at both the elementary and secondary levels. Please let your building rep or Laurie Folsom know if you question how the Duty Day or Plan Time provisions of the Master Agreement have been implemented in your building. The earlier we know problems exist the better we can advocate for our members. Now that elementary teachers have an additional 20 minutes of plan time, it is important this time be protected. Please let Laurie Folsom know how plan time is being distributed in your building, especially on shortened weeks.
- If you or an LEA member you know has been put on a Plan of Improvement (POI) already this school year, please contact your building rep or Laurie Folsom ASAP.
Are there construction issues LEA needs to be aware of so we can advocate for our members? Please contact your building rep or Laurie Folsom ASAP.
We are looking for a few more good people to serve on the Employee Advisory Committee. This committee is a chance for certified staff to advocate for issues that arise in your teaching area. The committee meetings at 7 a.m. the third Wednesday each month. If you are interested in joining the EAC, please email Laurie Folsom.
Back to School Events
The "Back to School" Mixer at the Lied Center from 4:30-6:30pm this Wednesday, Sept 2. This event includes appetizers and beverages sponsored by LPS, LEA, LSF/ LEAP, Truity Credit and the Lied Center. ALL LPS staff are invited to attend. There will be drawings to prizes throughout the evening.
LEA's "New Member Night" at Legends on Friday, Sept 11 from 4-7pm. This is a TGIF social time for new members and their LEA Building Representatives.
The annual Taste of Lawrence is on Thursday, Sept 10 from 4-7 pm at Meadowlark Apts. The Lawrence Chamber of Commerce offers educators half-price tickets ($20) which can be purchased by calling the Chamber at (785) 865.4411.
Items to Act On
Connect with LEA via Remind
To receive messages text @leamem to the number 81010.
NOTE: You can opt-out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @leamem'.
Find other ways to "Connect with Us" on the LEA webpage.
LEA relies on members donating leave to provide half-time release for the LEA president. Please consider completing a Leave Pool Form and send to Laurie L. Folsom at FSHS to donate a day to the President's Leave Pool.
Illness Leave Pool & Catastrophic Leave Pool
Every LPS certified employee can request days from the Illness / Catastrophic Leave Pool for absences after their accumulated leave days have been used. Each year we need certified employees to replenish the Leave Pools. The Illness Leave Pool is typically the pool most in need. To donate days complete a Leave Pool Form and send to Laurie L. Folsom at FSHS.
NOTE: even non-LEA members can donate days to these pools. Please encourage your non-member peers to contribute to a benefit that is a resource for ALL LPS certified employees.