Dolphin Parent Connection
May/June 2018 Volume 3, Issue 8
SOLs? No Worries!
We also know, however, that there are strategies specific to taking tests that will not only benefit your child on the Virginia SOLs but also on future tests in school and life. Therefore, you have probably noticed that your 3rd, 4th, or 5th grader has begun reviewing for the SOLs and may have practice in a test-like format for homework. This work, undoubtedly, helps your child review the content, but more importantly we want students to practice the test-taking strategies they have been learning in school. While each subject and grade uses a variety of test-taking strategies, we are using the acronym "B.R.E.A.T.H.E." to teach our students some of the most important ones. Please see the graphic below for an explanation of the acronym. I am talking about these strategies on the morning announcements; Mrs. Draughon is talking about them in monthly guidance lessons; and the teachers are talking about them in the classroom.
We firmly believe that preparation is the best prevention for anxiety and apprehension. If an adult or student feels prepared for the task ahead, they are more likely to experience less anxiety. Our goal is that every student feels prepared, both academically and emotionally. Having a firm grasp of the academic content and a strong understanding of effective test-taking strategies will help your child feel prepared. Lastly, we ask for your help in ensuring that your child has a good night sleep before testing, eats a protein-rich breakfast the morning of testing, and wears comfortable clothing to school on the day of testing. These steps will also help create the best possible testing conditions for your child.
If you have any questions as we approach testing, please reach out to me or Mrs. Nicole Keros.
Dr. Michelle Miller
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
· Tuesday, May 1st: STEM/Robotics Club @ 3:00-4:25 PM
· Wednesday, May 2nd: SCA Meeting @ 3:00-4:15 PM--moved to Monday, May 7th
· Wednesday, May 2nd: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Thursday, May 3rd: Grade 5 Visit to Princess Anne Middle @ 9:30 AM
· Thursday, May 3rd: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Thursday, May 3rd Spirit Night at Lucky Oyster @ 5:00-9:00 PM
· Friday, May 4th: PTA Spring Fling and Talent Show at Hunt Club Farm @ 5:00-8:00 PM
· Friday, May 4th: Last day for extended instructional day
· Monday, May 7th--Friday, May 11th: Buy one-Get one Scholastic Book Fair
· Monday, May 7th--Friday, May 11th: Teacher Appreciation Week
· Monday, May 7th: SCA Meeting 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, May 8th: PTA Board Meeting @ 5:30 PM
· Tuesday, May 8th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:10 PM
· Tuesday, May 8th: Art Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM (spring club members)
· Tuesday, May 8th: Spirit Night at McDonald's @ 5:00-8:00 PM
· Wednesday, May 9th: Kindergarten Field Trip to Cullipher Farms
· Wednesday, May 9th: Grade 1 Outreach: Ready, Set, Grow
· Wednesday, May 9th: Helping Hands @ 2:50-3:50 PM
· Wednesday, May 9th: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 2:50-3:50 PM
· Wednesday, May 9th: Young Authors' Night @ 6:00-7:00 PM
· Thursday, May 10th: Grade 2 Field Trip to Cullipher Farms
· Thursday, May 10th: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 2:50-3:50 PM
· Friday, May 11th: Grade 5 Field Trip to Williamsburg
· Friday, May 11th: Progress Reports Emailed to Select Students
· Saturday, May 12th: Atrium Clean-up Day @ 9:00-12:00 PM
· Tuesday, May 15th: Band/Strings Concert @ 6:00 PM
· Tuesday, May 15th: SOL Testing Begins--See schedule below
· Tuesday, May 15th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:10 PM
· Wednesday, May 16th: Intention Forms for 2018-19 school year due back (sent home on May 7th)
· Tuesday, May 22nd: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:10 PM
· Tuesday, May 22nd: Art Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM (spring club members)
· Thursday, May 24th: Grade 1 Field Trip Back Bay Wildlife Refuge (Bunn, Ennis, Hare)
· Friday, May 25th: Grade 1 Field Trip Back Bay Wildlife Refuge (Bradley & Morris)
· Monday, May 28th: No School--Memorial Day
· Tuesday, May 29th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:10 PM
· Monday, June 4th--Wednesday, June 13th: Relay Field Day Fundraiser for the American Cancer Society
· Tuesday, June 5th: Grade 1 Outreach from Virginia Living Museum
· Tuesday, June 5th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:10 PM
· Tuesday, June 5th: Art Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM (spring club members)
· Wednesday, June 6th: Grade 4 Field Trip to Jamestown
· Wednesday, June 6th: STEM/Robotics Challenge for Club Members
· Tuesday, June 12th: Primary Elections in Library
· Tuesday, June 12th: 5th Grade Social @ 6:00-8:00 PM
· Wednesday, June 13th: Field Day
· Thursday, June 14th: 5th Grade Crossing Over Ceremony @ 9:00 AM
· Thursday, June 14th: Kellam Grad Walk at 1:30 PM
· Friday, June 15th: Last Day of School--Early Release at 12:10 PM (5th grade final walk at 11:50 AM)
· Friday, June 22nd: Report Cards Mailed
Join Us Friday, May 4th for the PTA Spring Fling & Talent Show (click link below for ticket order form)
Young Authors Night: A Celebration of Your Child's Writing and Learning
Let Your Child Design, Build, and Explore This Summer
Join us for Camp Invention this summer at Red Mill. Your child will have a week of hands-on activities designing a dream home with smart furniture and smart energy, building a robotic dog, and exploring the technology behind self-driving cars and inventing a vehicle of the future.
Come join the fun from July 9 – July 13 from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Camp Invention is for children entering Kindergarten through 6th grade this coming fall. Students entering 7th – 9th grade can participate as Counselors-in-Training.
The price for the week remains $230. Families registering 2 siblings living in the same household earn $25 off per child, 3 or more children earn $50 off all season long!Families registering 2 siblings living in the same household earn $25 off per child, 3 or more children earn $50 off all season long!RReR Register by May 4th to save $15. Use promo code IDEAS15. Families registering 2 children (must be siblings) – receive $25 off the base price for each. You may register at campinvention.org or call 800-968-4332. Contact Terry Quinn at Theresa.Quinn@vbschools.com if you have any questions.
We can’t wait to see your child this summer!
Red Mill Yearbook Preorders
Pre-orders for the 2017-18 RMES yearbook are available for students. All yearbooks will be hardcover and full page color! You may pre-order a yearbook for $20. Yearbooks will remain on sale all school year long while supplies last! You may preorder at school with an order form or order online at ybpay.lifetouch.com with code 13007618.
Helping Hands Club News
- Come join us for a Red Mill Spirit Night on Thursday, May 3rd at Lucky Oyster to raise $$ for the fish and beautification of our front entrance and atrium. After 27 years, our front entry landscaping needs an uplift! We are going to try to make it a place for Hummingbirds and Butterflies. So please come out on Thursday and enjoy dinner! Take-out orders also count – just tell them Red Mill sent you!!!
- We would love to have your help on Saturday, May 12th as we work to spring clean our atrium. We will be working from 9:00-12:00 in the morning.
- Remember, the Helping Hands Club will take your used shoes/never worn shoes, bras, blankets, coats, and used towels. We will also take your extra toiletries such as travel-sized tooth brushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. We try to recycle/upcycle everything that we can at Red Mill. You can also bring your empty egg cartons, and we will be sure one of our local egg farmers has a great supply.
SOL Testing Schedule
School Counseling Program Notes
Guidance classroom lesson topics for May will focus on test-taking strategies for grades 3-5 and summer safety for grades K-2. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. Draughon, our School Counselor at 648-3572 or by email at Marilyn.Draughon@vbschools.com. Mrs. Draughon is available to discuss your child's academic and social/personal needs.