Welcome to the DUNLAP GRADE SCHOOL’S Weekly Newsletter
on the docket this coming week
- Lunch: Spaghetti
- Lunch: Cheese Pizza
- Running Club. Pick Up at 3:45pm
- Kindergarten Registration 3:30pm-5:30pm
- SIP Day: 11:15am DISMISSAL
- Mr. Horrie's Birthday
- Lunch: Chicken Nuggets
- 5th Grade Band Rehearsal at 2:45pm
- Running Club. Pick Up at 3:45pm
- Lunch: Hot Dog
- Box Tops Due
- Progress Reports Issued
- DHS Cookie Day
Photo of the Week
Dunlap Grade School PARCC Testing Schedule 2015-2016
This week the PARCC testing window began with 5W, 5P, and 4J starting math assessments. Our 3rd-5th Grade students are participating in the test that assesses the Common Core Standards related to Math and English Language Arts. The PARCC assessment results will provide us data that will assist us in measuring overall curriculum and program effectiveness. We will also be able to analyze the data to compare student groups and measure individual student growth. The PARCC assessment aligns to college and career readiness expectations from Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
Whereas PARCC does have its place in measuring some of the key academic skills of our students, I want to also assure you, that at Dunlap Grade School, we recognize that PARCC does not measure other key areas of our school that we value.
I see daily the time, intensity, and dedication that our teachers and students show in their work and tenacity for learning. I walk through DGS and am witness to the amazing learning and teaching that occurs. I look forward to receiving the results of our PARCC exam this summer, but am equally proud of the following:
- The will and effort that our Royal students take on developing an attitude that will help them become lifelong learners
- The empathy and kindness our students show toward each other
- Our students’ abilities to problem solve and think critically in unique and individual ways
- The passion our students show toward creative arts, athletics, and music
- The laughter, smiles, and humor that are shared amongst our students and staff
- Seeing a child choose to read a book and foster their own love of learning and reading in the hallways
- Watching a quiet exchange between students regarding what it means to be a ROYAL
- Our teachers continuously striving to provide new and innovative approaches to their classroom instruction
- The involvement of our families that make the success of our efforts even greater
The scores we will receive from PARCC will tell us important information that will guide and form school improvement goals, but the scores will not tell us everything about Dunlap Grade and what it means to be a ROYAL. We cannot put a measure on everything that makes Dunlap Grade School a great place to learn!
Student attendance on testing days is extremely important. Students must arrive on time for school. The first session begins at 8:30 a.m. Students arriving late are not allowed to enter the testing room after the start of testing. Please avoid scheduling appointments on testing days as there is limited time for makeup testing.
Dunlap Community Unit School District #323 will hold Kindergarten Registration for the 2016-17 school year on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Kindergarten registration will take place at the home school in which the student resides. Children must be five (5) years old on or before September 1, 2016.
The following information will be needed at registration:
- Registration Fees (cash or check made payable to Dunlap School District)
- Child’s certified birth certificate/passport
- Proof of Residency. For more information on requirements, click here
- Health Information (Physical with current immunization record, dental exam, and vision exam are due on or before the first day of school)
- Illinois dental exam must be dated after 11/15/15
- Illinois physical (with lead screening) and eye exams must be dated after 8/17/15
- Immunizations required:
- 4 DTaP shots (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis)
- 3 Polio shots
- 2 MMR shots (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) or proof of immunity
- 2 Varicella shots (Chicken Pox) or proof of immunity
The potential exists that kindergarten students and students new to the district may need to be moved to another Dunlap school if enrollment figures are high. You will be notified on or before August 9th if your child will not be attending his/her home school.
March AR Stars
March 2016 AR Award Winners are named for having the Most Words Read and 20 engaged minutes of reading time
Kindergarten: Liam D
Class Winner: Mrs. Wooden- 1,864,155 words read in March
Explore More Forms
New Family Open House Held
In addition, the board approved the replacement of the windows in the 4th and 5th grade hallways. This will occur this summer and replace outdated windows to more energy efficient windows.
Finally, during heavy rainfalls, we've experienced drainage issues in the back parking lot and playground area. The board recently approved a drainage project that will occur this summer to increase the effectiveness of the system.