Athens High School
Senior GRADUATION Information & more
Graduation Practice Notes
- Please pay very close attention to the rules and regulations surrounding graduation and graduation practice. Those can be found at the link below. It is vital that you and your guests comply in order for our graduation to proceed as planned.
- Practice is mandatory in order to participate in graduation on Thursday.
- If you did not pick up your cap & gown or ordered them late, you will get them at graduation practice.
- Any cords that you have not received yet will be given out at graduation practice.
- Dress comfortably for practice.
- Girls- You may wear your shoes that you plan to walk in at graduation. It is an excellent time to practice walking in them to make sure they are suitable to wear on the field.
- You can plan for grad practice to last for up to two hours.
Because of social distancing guidelines for graduates, we ask that all graduates arrive in separate vehicles no later than 6:45pm on Tuesday, May 19, 2020. Specific entry & exit procedures are in place for social distancing. All graduates attending practice will enter from the South side of the stadium. Entrances will be clearly marked and AHS Safety Ushers will assist & guide graduates to their designated seats. Please maintain social distancing guidelines in separation from other graduates while you are being seated or in line to be seated.
If you do not plan on participating in graduation, you must email me ASAP.
WHAT TO WEAR for Graduation
White shirt, dark tie or bowtie
Dress shoes, dark socks
Dark slacks, belt
Simple dark dress or skirt that is shorter than gown
Dark dressy shoes (no spike heels)
* Must meet school dress code, including no facial piercings
* If you do not have any of these articles of clothing, email Mrs. Smith or Ms. Ramona Malone ASAP
- There are NO extra tassels, so be careful when carrying your caps so you do not lose them.
- · Caps should be worn with the top FLAT (like your balancing a book on your head) with the tassel to your right. Tassels will be moved to your left after all of the diplomas have been handed out and you are instructed to do so.
- · Only approved cords and stoles may be worn for either ceremony.
- · Be sure you are well groomed and that your hair is brushed.
- · Stand up straight and walk with pride. This is an honor you have earned.
- · GRADUATION IS A CEREMONY- A RIGHT OF PASSAGE. Take a moment to look around and remember this moment. It will go by quickly.
- · NO GUM, SUNGLASSES OR CELL PHONES IN SIGHT
DIPLOMA NOTE: Graduating seniors will receive diploma COVERS only during the Commencement Ceremony.
CLASS OF 2020 QUOTE....
Forms to be completed
**Senior Survey- all students must complete using their school google account
Senior Scholarship Form- only complete if you've been offered scholarship money of any kind.
**Final Transcript- If you plan to attend a college, university or training program in the summer OR fall, you must order a final transcript via Parchment. Those will not be send until the end of May.
** for all students to complete
***MUST COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING***
You must fill this out if you've been offered a scholarship whether you will take it or not. This includes college scholarships, community scholarships, private scholarships, church scholarships, military enlistment, etc.
College, universities, training programs and many jobs require your final transcript as proof that you indeed graduated. You must request those through Parchment. Those will be sent out at the end of May. Cost is free if ordered by June 30, 2020.
If you earned an honors diploma, you can order a cord at the website linked here under "General Studies". The cost is $15. Email me if you are not sure whether you qualify. LAST CHANCE TO ORDER IS MONDAY BY MIDNIGHT.
Great Information from Calhoun Community College
All scholarships and special opportunities will be listed here in chronological order. This section will continue to grow throughout the year. Keep an eye out as new information is listed. If you see a scholarship that you are interested in and need an application, those are available in the scholarship box in the Guidance Office.
Calhoun Warhawks are Calhoun's official student ambassador organization. Students that are accepted as Warhawks receive a partial scholarship equivalent to two 3-semester hour courses during the fall and spring semesters for up to two years. In addition to the scholarship, students are taught hands on leadership and team building skills by assisting with campus receptions, special events, giving campus tours to prospective students, as well as representing the college as the official host/hostess of the college. To apply, visit www.calhoun.edu/warhawks. Deadline is midnight on June 1, 2020.
The ALABAMA LIONS OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUTH FUN board has approved two $1,000 scholarships for graduating high seniors in Alabama for 2020. To apply visit http://filmore.net/aloyf.html. Deadline is June 15, 2020.
- The MG Law Scholarship is a $1,000 non-renewal scholarship offered to one student nationwide. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA & submit a 45-60 second video that creates awareness around how to prevent drunk driving. To enter and for more information, visit https://www.mg4law.com/nationwide-scholarship/. Deadline is July 1, 2020.
- The City Property Management HOA Service Scholarship is available to seniors nationwide and will be awarded in the amount of $1,000. Students must have a 3.0 GPA and be pursueing an education that will lead into real estate. Go to http://cityproperty.com/phoenix#scholarship-link to apply. Deadline is July 31, 2020.