Austin High School e-Newsletter
February 4, 2016
Dual Enrollment Today
Information about Registration:
- Incoming Freshmen and faculty will get a hard copy of the guide.
- The upperclassmen may view the guide on the school website.
- All classes/course numbers are listed on registration guide. Students will write in the courses they want. All courses (including electives) require a teacher signature!!!
- Registration Forms will be due back Friday, February 12 to first block teachers
Registration schedule for upperclassmen :
Monday, February 8- Freshmen
Tuesday, February 9- Sophomores and Juniors
Students will be called to cafeteria at beginning of 2nd block
Arsenic and Old Lace Opens Tomorrow Night!
The time: the 1940s. The place: a house in Brooklyn, NY. The main players: Two little old ladies, their 3 nephews, 12 dead bodies, and a special bottle of wine. Come to the AHS Auditorium this Friday at 7, or Saturday at 2 or 7 and find out how all these elements come together in the delightful comedy, ARSENIC AND OLD LACE!!! It's a classic you DON'T want to miss!!! Spread the word. General admission is $5.
Abby Brewster – Julia Davenport
Dr. Harper – Jake Bailey
Teddy Brewster – Mannon Roman
Officer Brophy – Luke Davenport
Officer Klein – Jarrod Baker
Martha Brewster – Erin Wiley
Elaine Harper – Ryleigh Morland
Mortimer Brewster – Avery Cordell
Mr. Gibbs – Semaj Johnson
Jonathan Brewster – Hunter Kelley
Dr. Einstein – Will Parker
Officer O’Hara – Julian Bronaugh
Lt. Rooney – Monica Chambliss
Dr. Witherspoon – Taylor Lucas
Student of the Month: School Spirit
Winner - Cole Jackson
Runners up - Tori Ho, Jarrod Baker, Colt Dozier
Student of the Month: Commitment
Winner: Andie Wall
Runners Up: Rucha Patel and Ben Cooper
Star Senior Applications
What is STAR SENIOR? It is an award to recognize students who are actively involved in Austin High School through academics, band, athletics, drama, chorus, clubs, community service groups , student leadership , and honor societies.
Each senior has the opportunity complete a 4 page application listing all of the activities at Austin High School and indicated the ones they participated in during all 4 years at Austin High School. Teachers sign to confirm their participation and points are awarded based on their involvement. GPA is also part of the point total and will be multiplied by 10 giving a student with a 3.2 GPA 32 points on their total. Students are awarded based on their point totals. There is not a voting component to this award.
The faculty is extremely proud to be a part of this ceremony. Each student will indicate a list of 5 teachers who have made a difference during their time at AHS. One person from that list will present the student with a medal to indicate membership in this year’s STAR SENIORS of AHS.
Faculty participants, kids, and the community loved the ceremony last year. Please encourage your students to apply for this honor. We will hand out applications next week.
The President's Volunteer Service Award
President’s Volunteer Service Award deadline is fast approaching. This award is given by the President for meeting volunteer service guidelines. The deadline to turn in your volunteer service hours is March 31st. Come by the guidance office to pick up your volunteer service tracking form.
Our Competition Cheerleaders are on their way to Orlando to participate in the National High School Cheer Competition.
Good luck, girls!
It’s that time again Valentine ’s Day is coming so get your valentine carnations from an FCCLA member starting today at lunch! Send one to your secret crush, your special someone even your favorite teacher. FCCLA members will be selling them as well as collecting items for the show the love long term care program in the cafeteria this week. This week is the last week!!
Yearbook Staff Applications for Next School Year
Attention all 9th-11th graders!! Anyone interested in applying for 2016-2017 Yearbook Staff, please stop by Mrs. Williams' Room M-13 to pick up an application. All applications are due Friday, February 12th. Absolutely no late applications are accepted.
River City Read!
Mr. White's Scholarship Scoops
1. Nursing /scholarship! This scholarship is open to all high school seniors who plan to pursue college education in nursing, including LPN / LVN, ADN, and BSN programs. Scholarship applications will be accepted until midnight on June 30, 2016. We ask interested students to visit www.nursingschoolsalmanac.com and click the banner on the right-hand side of the website's homepage. Here they'll find detailed scholarship information and the official application form.
2. The American Legion Morgan County Post 15 in Decatur Alabama is asking for students to participate in the 2016 State High School Oratorical Contest for Morgan County. The oratorical contest presents our nation's high school participants with an academic speaking challenge that teaches the history of our nation's laws as well as the duties, responsibilities, rights and privileges of American citizenship. Not only do we provide them the academic challenge but young orators earn some of the most generous college scholarships available to high school students. Over $138,000 in scholarships are awarded each year. For more details on the program go to the American Legion national website http://www.legion.org/oratorical/
3. Abbott & Fenner Business Consultants are pleased to be able to continue with our scholarship program for the 9th year. We will be awarding up to $1,000 to the winner. Scholarship Deadline - June 10, 2016. Application Process = Students will submit an essay on the topic that appears on the scholarship page of our web site: http://www.abbottandfenner.com/scholarships