A Weekly Update from Perkiomen Valley Middle School East
A Word From Dr. Clune
Dear PV East Parents,
Everyone is looking forward to our upcoming long weekend. Please consider participating in our MLK Day activities this Monday, January 17th. There are more details below in this newsletter. An email will go out on Sunday if we need to adjust plans due to inclement weather.
Our faculty, staff, and students are thrilled that Clear Touch Interactive Boards have started to be installed in their classrooms. Our thanks to the PVSD Technology and Operations Departments who are working together in order to get the boards into classrooms as quickly as possible.
Our PBIS program is in full swing. Students are redeeming their 'Rock Star' tickets in the bookstore for items as well privileges. Today some of our students redeemed their tickets for 'Open Gym' at the end of the day. Students also utilize our East Rock Cafe and Backstage Lounge.
This Friday, January 21st our student VIP Team is requesting that all students wear a shirt that depicts their service to the community (i.e. scouts, 5K Race fundraiser, 4H Club, etc.).
8th Grade Parents please return North Montco Technical Career Center permission slips by Tuesday, January 18th for field trip on January 20th. More information below in this newsletter.
Our 8th Graders will also begin program planning for their high school classes on Monday, January 24th with an assembly. More information to follow.
Please note that we continually add more after school clubs and activities. This newsletter has information about our new Chess Club. Please check out our Activities Page for current information. https://www.pvsd.org/east/activities/
Seamus Clune, Ph.D.
Masks Required Through 1/21/22
During a Special School Board meeting, held on Sunday, January 2, PV's Board of School Directors approved an updated Health and Safety Transition Plan (v3). As part of this plan, masks are required for all students and staff during the school day when indoors extending through January 21. During after school activities such as athletics, music rehearsals, Community Ed., committee meetings, Board meetings, etc., masks are strongly recommended.
Beginning on January 24, masks will be strongly recommended during the school day.
MLK Day of Service
PV's MLK Day of Service event is just a few days away! We are very excited to honor Dr. King's legacy with our community again this year. See below for details of each event. We would love photos of the community partaking in the events below. Use this link to submit photos. Thank you, in advance, for sharing with us.
- Take Home Projects: Over 440 families signed up for take home project packets. Students should plan to return the completed projects to school on Tuesday 1/18.
- PV Foundation Community Day. Join us to participate in a variety of FUN family activities at the PVHS Thomas J. Keenan Stadium. Use this link to sign up. All proceeds benefit the PV Foundation. Elementary and middle school take home service project packets may also be available (while supplies last).
- Donation Stations: Plan to drop off items between 10AM & 2PM on Monday, 1/17, following this map. We are collecting:
- clothing, shoes, bags, belts, linens, professional clothes and formal wear. (NOT housewares, toys, bikes, furniture, strollers, high chairs, electronics, etc.)
- non-perishable food, individual snack items for the Ronald McDonald Houses, new toys, items from the PV Power Packs wish list or the Daily Bread Food Pantry wish list
- old cell phones for Laurel House and glasses for Lion's Club
Finally, we would also like to share virtual opportunities from Ursinus College occuring 1/17/22
- “Lightning Talks” 11:00-12:00pm | Ursinus College (Register here – on Zoom)
- Welcome statement by Dr. Heather Lobban-Viravong
- Food Forest and Welcome Home project by Dr. Patrick Hurley
- “What is Race?” by Dr. Andrea Kauffman-Berry
- “How do students of color keep their dignity when others’ words hurt?” by Dr. Kneia DaCosta
- “What Makes a Movie a Black Film?" by Annie Stockmal ‘22
- Workshops Led by Ursinus Offices and Organizations 1:00-3:00 p.m. | (Register here – on Zoom)
- 1:00-1:30pm | Choosing a College Major with Sue Valerio Sladen
- 1:30-2:00pm | The College Search with Amanda Young
- 2:00-2:30pm | All About Trees: How trees can benefit us and our communities with Kate Keppen
- 2:30-3:00pm | Living Your Passions in the Community: What Will I Do? with Ang Upright
NOTE: we are working on an inclement weather plan. In the event we need to cancel or postpone activities, a message will be shared by 5pm on Sunday 1/16.
North Montco Technical Center Fieldtrip & Open House
PVMS East is offering eighth grade students the opportunity to visit North Montco Technical Career Center (NMTCC). So that they may tour the facility and observe the many different programs the school has to offer. This tour will be offered on Thursday, January 20th, 2022. Students will leave PVMS East at 8:00 AM. Our tour will begin at 8:30 AM and end at 10:45 AM. We will return to the school at 11:15 AM. Each student must have a signed permission slip in order to attend the trip. Permission slips are due Tuesday, January 18th before the end of the day. Please view the attachment for more information.
Parents and students can also attend NMTCC's Open House on Thursday February 3rd at 5:00pm (snow date is February 17th).
Visit the 22 technical programs offered for more information about the programs and industry recognized certifications students can earn.
If you're interested please see the two flyers below for more details.
6th Grade Winter Concert
For the upcoming 6th Grade Winter Concert on Wednesday, January 19th please note:
- Masks will be strongly recommended.
- Any student who is returning from quarantine and is therefore required to wear a mask per CDC guidelines will continue to do so for the Winter Concert.
- Instrument bell covers will remain on.
- The Audience will be seated in every other seat except for family groups.
- Student performers will be spread as far apart as is feasibly possible.
- Any student who is unable to attend is requested to contact their music teacher no later than Monday, January 10th.
Changing Instructional Modes
- K-5 ~ Mrs. Krista Venza ~ Viking Academy Elementary Principal
- 6-8 ~ Mrs. Laurie Smith ~ Assistant Superintendent
- 9-12 ~ Mrs. Stefanie Baker ~ PVHS House Principal
Community Bulletin Board
They are now $30.
17 No school, MLK Day
19 6th Grade Winter Concert at 7PM
21 Spelling Bee (No visitors)
26 Half day, dismissal at 11:30
27 End of marking period 2