Springton Lake Middle School
Every Student. Every Day. No Matter What.
August 28, 2020
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - Monday, August 31, 2020
The start of the new school year is finally upon us! Our first day of school for ALL students will be on Monday, August 31, 2020. As you know, the school year will begin in a fully-virtual format for everyone. The purpose of this communication is to provide what we hope will be clear and concrete information on the steps that students and families should follow over the next few days to ensure a successful launch to the school year. We are very excited to welcome everyone back on Monday morning!
It's the First Day of School - Now What??!!??
The school day will begin at 7:55 AM on Monday morning. Students will be expected to be logged-in to their FIRST PERIOD class via Zoom. Teachers will be taking attendance, so please allow enough time to log-in. Students will be able to access their teacher's Zoom link by going to that class in Schoology. Once students access the class page in Schoology, the Zoom link will be prominently displayed. Many of our teachers have also sent an introductory email to families that contains the Zoom links.
What to Expect on the First Day of School
We are planning a regular day of school on Monday. Again, students should be present in 1st period at 7:55 AM. First period will be extended a bit to allow for some logistical matters. The modified schedule for the morning is as follows:
Period 1: 7:55 AM to 8:55 AM
BREAK: 8:55 AM to 9:05 AM
Period 2: 9:05 AM to 9:35 AM
Period 3: 9:38 AM to 10:10 AM
Starting with period 4, we will follow the normal schedule times that have been created during our fully-virtual program. Here is a LINK to that schedule.
First period teachers will be sure that students are clear on the schedule for the rest of the day. During Core Extension/7th period, students will attend a meeting with their team of teachers and classmates.
A major focus of the first day - and first week - will be on building relationships, helping everyone to feel comfortable, developing routines, and orienting students to online learning.
Getting Ready for the First Day
A smooth and stress-free start to the first day can be achieved with a little bit of preparation this weekend. Consider these simple, but important steps:
1. Charge your Chromebook and make sure that it is ready to go.
2. Sixth grade students and newly enrolled students should follow the step-by-step set-up instructions that were included with their devices at pick-up. You can also view these instructions - with helpful video tutorials - on our website. Access those tutorials HERE.
3. Know the teacher name and subject for your first period. This information can be found in HAC or on the hardcopy of your schedule that was provided with your materials at pick-up.
4. Check HAC one last time on Sunday evening to be sure that your schedule has not been updated.
5. Be sure that you can access Schoology. Once you are in Schoology, you should find your first period class and make sure that you can find the link to the teacher's Zoom session.
What to Do if You Need Help on Monday...
Even with lots of planning - both on your part and on our part - we know that students are going to need assistance. NO WORRIES - that's why we are here!
If you need assistance on Monday, choose one of these options:
1. Access the school counselor's Zoom link beginning at 7:30 AM.
Grade 6 - Ms. Judge
Grade 7 - Ms. Howe
Grade 8 - Mrs. Gilroy
2. Access the Virtual Main Office on our website.
3. Contact Mrs. Kelly in our Guidance Department at 610-627-6511
4. Call or email a member of our Administrative Team.
You've got this - and we've got your back!
Sparty, our Mascot
Ready, Respectful, Responsible, & Resilient
The Springton Lake Administrative Team
(from left to right) Dr. Layton, Dr. Salladino, & Mrs. Britton
The Springton Lake Staff
Rose Tree Media School District
Still Need to Pick-up Your Books & Materials?
Sunday, Aug. 30th, 4pm
1900 North Providence Road
The building will be open on Sunday from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM for a final opportunity for material pick-up, to drop off technology forms and emergency cards, and to purchase Chromebook cases. Enter through the Cafeteria doors. We are here to help you and will be available it you need anything!