Nixon Elementary Weekly Update
May 24, 2021
Last Update for 2020-2021
Hello Nixon Families!
This will be the last weekly update from Nixon you'll receive this school year. I hope you have found the weekly updates from both the classroom teacher and myself helpful in keeping you connected to all things Nixon related.
In Person Reminders:
Masks Updates: With the newly signed legislation HR187, our district has provided guidance on how we will proceed for the remainder of the school year. Please see the list of bullets below and feel free to follow up with any questions you may have.
- We will not require any child or staff member to wear a mask at school.
- If you choose to send your child with a mask, the school will not be managing the wearing of this mask (no reminders to pull their mask up over their noses or "put your mask on").
- We will not be passing masks out at the front door any more. If a child comes to the office to request a mask, a mask will be provided (as well as replacement masks if their mask breaks).
- At this point, the school is not open to the public or to non-school employees and students.
- We will continue with small group instruction, as well as partner work in the way we have all year.
- We will continue to cohort learners with their homeroom for recess, lunch, and specials.
- Masks are still required on school busses.
Beginning of the Day Drop Off: This is a friendly reminder that learners cannot come to school before 8:30 daily. We have started to see an uptick in friends arriving to school too early, and we do not have supervision until 8:30. We have found, left unattended, our learners have been getting a little rowdy in the mornings, which makes coming in to start our day more difficult. Please do NOT drop off your children or have them walk over to Nixon until after 8:30 am. Thank you for your support with this!
Device Collection: We will be collecting, cleaning, and storing our laptop devices. The only learners keeping their devices are our outgoing 5th graders who will take these devices with them to middle school. This includes Hot Spots that you may have borrowed earlier this year for all families!
Remote Families: If you have any materials that belong to the school, specifically text books, please plan to drop those off with your child's device on either June 4 or June 7th.
CRVA: If you have signed your children up for CRVA next fall, please know they will no longer be enrolled at Nixon Elementary. CRVA has become its own independent school, which means your child's enrollment switches to CRVA. If you choose to return to in person learning, you will need to work with CRVA to determine your child's home school if you do not live in the Nixon neighborhood. Please give your children a big hug from me, and tell them what a pleasure it has been for me to be their principal while they were at Nixon. I will miss them, but I wish you all the best of luck on your next new adventure in learning!
5th Grade Celebration: This year we will be celebrating our 5th graders as they move onto middle school with a celebration on May 27th. We will have a virtual assembly for parents and classrooms to join. We will have our annual 5th grade slideshow followed by our awards/recognition starting around 2:45pm. We hope families our of 5th graders will join us for this event--a link will be coming soon!
Nixon PTA: We are looking for new members for our Nixon PTA for the 2021-22 school year. If you are interested in making a positive impact on our learners and Nixon community, we would love for you to join! We will be holding a virtual informational meeting in the upcoming weeks. We hope you'll consider attending to learn more about how the Nixon PTA supports our school.
- May 27: 5th Grade Celebration!
- May 31: Memorial Day (No School)
- June 3: Field Day
- June 4: Last day of school!
- June 4 & 7: Remote Learners turn in their computers, power cords, and any materials that belong to the school.
Although we have definitely had a different year and I have missed seeing all of my Bobcats here at school in person, I do appreciate all you have done to support our school, the teachers and staff, and most importantly your children during this school year. I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing summer, and I can't wait to see everyone back here in person next fall! Please reach out with any questions you might have as the end of the year approaches.
Jeni Goebel, Principal