Week of October 31, 2022
Greetings Kingsford Family!
November will be here this week! We definitely can feel the shift in temperatures. Are you ready for the change in seasons? As temperatures change outside, they change inside our building as well. The heat is on and at times, classrooms can get pretty warm. We encourage students to wear a light sweater or jacket to school so that students can remove layers of clothing to be comfortable.
This time of year, glimpses of nature can be breathtaking! Take time to really see and enjoy the climate changes. Breathe the fresh crisp air, look at leaves changing colors, or go apple and/or pumpkin picking with your child. This weekend I had the opportunity to visit a mum's farm. It was absolutely gorgeous. I walked rows and rows of mums before picking the perfect ones for my front porch. I wasn't expecting to dig up my flowers but it was a lot of fun!
As you prepare students for school this week be mindful of students bringing in candy and treats from this weekend's fall celebrations. Candy can be a distraction to the learning environment and should not be brought to school or sold to other students on the bus. Students should enjoy these treats upon returning home after school. I respectfully ask that you join us in having this conversation with your child(ren).
As always, Mrs. Price and I are here to support you. Let us know how we can help. Email is the best way to reach us- Principal Jones email@example.com Assistant Principal Price firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wishing all a fantastic week. Be safe, be well!
IMPORTANT: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7TH
PGCPS has designated Monday, November 7th as a systemic professional day. Students will engage in a half day of asynchronous virtual learning. Teachers will provide electronic or paper assignments to students. Attendance will be marked as present or absent in SchoolMAX, consistent with all other instructional days.
Attendance will be taken using one of these methods:
*Teacher created Google Form shared with students. Google Form will be mailed to the student's email address or placed on Google Classroom.
*For classrooms utilizing paper-based asynchronous learning tasks, student completion of their learning assignments will be used to document their attendance for asynchronous learning.
Other asynchronous virtual learning days include January 25, 2023, and March 31, 2023.
National Principals Month
As National Principals Month comes to a close, my heart is full of gratitude. I will be the first to admit that the work we are required to do as building leaders is unlike any other profession. It's hard work to lead an entire school community and be under a microscope where every word and action can be observed and sometimes misunderstood by others but there is no other job I'd rather have. There is no other school community I'd rather serve. Over the course of this month, I have received an amazing amount of hugs, cards, gift cards, candles, lemon cookies, lemon wafers, lemon cake, donuts, Lemonheads, beautiful yellow roses and flowers, balloons, lemon hand soap, lemon-flavored water, a warm sweater, an Edible Bouquet, a home-cooked meal and the list goes on! I even had my own parade compliments of the 3rd-grade team and a dance party compliments of the fifth-grade team! What a way to be celebrated! My heart is full! The memories of this month will carry me for a long while and have refocused and reenergized me to proudly walk in our building each day to meet the good as well as any challenge that may come my way. It is my desire to continue to lead our school community where grace, transparency, and open communication set the tone for our interactions.
From the bottom of my heart, I shout with the happiest of intentions - THANK YOU KINGSFORD FAMILY FOR TRUSTING MY LEADERSHIP! Because of you, I love what I do! #TeamKingsford #LoveMySchoolCommunity #Knights
Much love Kingsford family!
Forever grateful to my school community! -Principal Jones
This Week at Kingsford...
Welcome to Kingsford Elementary School! This week is a five-day week!
- Ensure prekindergarten and kindergarten bus riders wear their safety vest to school every day.
- Submit lunch applications (https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application). If approval for free or reduced meals has not been granted your student needs lunch money. Lunch is $2.75 each day.
- Early dismissal ENDS at 1:15 pm
Monday, October 31st
- Submissions are due for the Red Ribbon Week Essay and Poster Contest!
- Storybook Character Parade - Participating students should wear their costumes to school. Teachers are unable to facilitate costume changes. Be sure students can perform all everyday activities, including using the restroom with their costumes on. Students not participating must wear their school uniform.
Tuesday, November 1st
First-grade students only - OLSAT Testing
Wednesday, November 2nd
- First-grade students only - OLSAT Testing
Thursday, November 3rd
- First-grade students only - OLSAT Testing
Friday, November 4th
End of 1st Quarter (45 days)
Ties, Tennis Shoes, and Tutu's End-of-Quarter Celebration!
It's Friday! Check your child's progress in SchoolMAX.
Red Ribbon Week Poster and Writing Contest
Poster Contest (PreK-5th grade): Create your own Red Ribbon Week theme poster. This year's theme is Celebrate Life. Live Drug-Free.
Essay Contest (2nd-5th grade): Write an essay on one of the topics:
- Why Drugs, Alcohol, or Tobacco are Dangerous
- The Importance of Creating A Drug-Free America
- How You Plan to Stay Drug-Free
- All entries are due by Monday, October 31st. Entries may be turned in to Mrs. Mullennix. Winners will be announced by Wednesday, November 9th.
- Please DO NOT write your name on your essay or poster. If participating, see Mrs. Mullennix for an entry form to attach to your essay or poster.
- The poster size should be no larger than 11 x 17.
- Print the title of the essay or picture on both your entry and the entry form.
- Essays must legible. Students are encouraged to type their essays, but it's not mandatory. Neatly handwritten entries will be accepted.
- Each submission must be an original essay or poster.
We encourage all students to participate. We will recognize a winner and Honorable Mentions at each grade level depending on the number of participants.
Kingsford's Storybook Character Parade
Kingsford PTA News
Sky Zone Raffle Winners!
Free Math Tutoring
To learn more about the application process click on the link below:
- ENGLISH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
- SPANISH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
- FRENCH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
Visit www.pgcps.org/volunteer for more information on becoming a volunteer and to access the application.
All families are asked to monitor students daily to ensure they are well enough to attend school. Though COVID numbers have decreased we want to ensure we keep our community safe. Please keep your child at home if he/she is not feeling well and contact your child's teacher. Upon their return please send in a handwritten note (not through Class Dojo) or a doctor's excuse.
NEED SCHOOL SUPPLIES?
Contact our professional school counselor Ms. Twewaa at email@example.com if you have a student in need of school supplies. We have received donations from our community partners who are ready to support our families.
SCHOOL & OFFICE HOURS
Administration and office staff can be reached via email Monday-Friday. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response. While Class Dojo is available, email is the best way to connect with the administration.
Principal - Mrs. Jones - firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Principal - Mrs. Price - email@example.com
Principal's Secretary - Mrs. Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org
Need assistance, we can help-
- ESOL- Ms. Bedessem - email@example.com
- Lunch Accounts & Balances - Ms. Lopez - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Math or Technology- Mr. Flores - email@example.com
- Reading/TAG - Mrs. Mullennix - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Testing - Ms. Redmond - email@example.com
- Special Education - Ms. Marshall - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social/Emotional/Behavioral Concerns - Ms. Twewaa - email@example.com
- Registration/Withdrawal - Ms. Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Transportation - Ms. Day - email@example.com
- COVID related questions - Nurse Neal - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alphabest Before & AfterCare - Mr. Hunter -
November 7- Professional Day for Teachers – Half Asynchronous Learning Day for Students
November 8 - Election Day – Schools and Offices Closed
November 16 - First Quarter Report Cards available online
November 22 - First Quarter Report Cards mailed home
November 21 & 22 - 2-Hr. Early Dismissal for Students
November 23-25 - Thanksgiving Break – Schools and Offices Closed
December 23, 26-30 - Winter Break & Christmas – Schools and Offices Closed