Library Links for the Summer
Nordonia Hills City Schools Library Media Services
Beach Bags are Here!
1. The Foods We Eat
2. On the Move
3. Perfect Pets
4. Weather, Weather Everywhere
5. What's in Your Neighborhood?
Each virtual Beach Bag includes two, free printable "little books" from World Book's Early World of Learning resource (grades K-3 levels), two related activities, a list of classic picture books for further reading, and suggested websites to explore as well! The Beach Bags are offered free to all Ohio Families so feel free to share this resource with your parents and families! The link is below so be sure to check it out!
Buckeye Children's and Teen Book Awards
This would be a great opportunity to get your students reading over the summer-have students read each of the nominees according to their grade levels and then when they return to school, they can vote online! These are high interest titles that are sure to engage them! Official voting on the website will begin on September 1st!
Here are the 2014 nominees:
- Carnivores, by Aaron Reynolds, ill. by Dan Santat (Chronicle, 2013)
- Flora and the Flamingo, by Molly Idle (Chronicle, 2013)
- Tiger In My Soup, by Kashmira Sheth, ill. by Jeffery Ebbeler (Peachtree, 2013)
- Mr. Wuffles!, by David Wiesner (Clarion, 2013)
- The Dark, by Lemony Snicket, illus. by Jon Klassen (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2013)
- The Boy on the Porch, by Sharon Creech (HarperCollins, 2013)
- Escape From Mr. Lemoncello’s Library, by Chris Grabenstein (Random House Books for Young Readers, 2013)
- Cupcakes, Cookies, and Pie, Oh My!, by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson (Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)
- Jake and Lily, by Jerry Spinelli (Balzer + Bray, 2012)
- Flora and Ulysses, by Kate DiCamillo, illus. by K.G. Campbell (Candlewick, 2013)
- The Lord of Opium, by Nancy Farmer (Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2013)
- The Extra, by Kathryn Lasky (Candlewick, 2013)
- Perfect Season (Football Genius series #6), by Tim Green (HarperCollins, 2013)
- Counting By 7s, by Holly Goldberg Sloan (Dial, 2013)
- Whatever After #3: Sink or Swim, by Sarah Mlynowski (Scholastic, 2013)
Teen Buckeye Book Award nominees (for grades 9-12):
- The Clockwork Princess (Infernal Devices #3), by Cassandra Clare (Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2013)
- Allegiant (Insurgent #3), by Veronica Roth (Katherine Tegen Books, 2013)
- Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2), by Tahereh Mafi (HarperCollins, 2013)
- The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green (Dutton Books, 2012)
- False Memory, by Dan Krokos (Disney Hyperion, 2013)
Fore more information on this award, visit: http://www.bcbookaward.info/
Did You Know-2014 Edition?
Barnes and Noble---Offering a Free Summer Reading Program!
1. Students read any 8 books of their choice and record them on the Reading Journal handout (PDF is located on the link below)
2. The students then bring their completed journals to their local B&N store.
3. The students then get a FREE book from their selection (list located on the Reading Journal).
For more information, and to print the Reading Journal PDF--visit: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/summer-reading/379003570/