Ukraine is a beautiful country in Eastern Europe, also it is the second biggest country in Europe. Ukraine's geography is mainly rolling hills, which is also called the steppe, and many plateaus and rivers. also, Ukraine's government has changed a few times in the past years, but we'll talk about that later.
Ukraine is covered by the steppe, a grassland, and has a occasional river, plateau, or hill. The 4 major rivers in this country are the Dnieper, Dniester, Bug, and Donets River. Also the Carpathian Mountains run through west Ukraine, but southeast Ukraine is completely covered by the steppe. Kiev is Ukraine's capital and most populated city. Ukrainians mainly drive and may sail down rivers.
Ukraine is a republic, or a government is ruled by the people and their representatives. Because of this Ukraine is a limited government. Their leader or president is Petro Poroshenko, but the law making body is headed by the Unicameral Supreme Council or Verkhovna Rada. Ukraine has a problem with their constitution changing. In the 2000s the changed it right after they changed it in the 1990s. Ukraine's and America's citizens rights and responsibilities are sometimes shared. In Ukraine and America citizens must vote, pay taxes, and follow the law. In the past Ukraine participated in World war II some of Ukraine had a alliance with the Nazis, but after that they were relatively peaceful. Also Ukraine has been country added to the United Federation.
In Ukraine their currency is the Ukrainian hryvnia, which in american dollars is worth 0.039$. A few of Ukraine's imports are grain, coal,beef, and milk. Ukraine is a much less wealthy country than America, with only 15% of our population being in poverty while 1/5 of Ukraine's poulation is in poverty.
Social Life and Ethnicities
Most of Ukraine's population is white, while the next 15% is mostly black. In Ukraine you are required to have 11 years of learning in school. Because of this 99.8% and 99.9% of their male and female population over 15 can read. For their children to go to school the payment is included in their taxes. Also one major part of Ukrainians social life is that every citizen of Ukraine has individual rights.
Religion, Language, and Flag
In Ukraine almost all of the citizens speak english or 4/5, also the dominant religion of Ukraine is protestant which is half of the population. The flag of Ukraine may look simple, but actually symbolizes the beautiful landscape of the steppe. The yellow symbolizes the rolling yellow grass hills that cover this country, and the blue symbolizes the skies and mountains that run across it.
Traditions, Clothing, and Food
In Ukraine they have a holiday celebrating the women of Ukraine. In Ukraine on Women's Day men have to give gifts and flowers to their wives and get a day off. Women's' Day is celebrated on March 8 and get March 9 off of work. Traditional Ukraine clothing includes colors such as red, blue, green, and white.
- 1lb russian cottage cheese(Farmer's Cheese)
- 1cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon other extract
- oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar
cottage Cheese donuts
- Combine first 7 ingredients to form a very thick batter.
- (Original recipe calls for 1/2c flour and crumbs, but even with double the flour mine was too sticky to roll.).
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan.
- (According to Good Eats, more oil is better since the oil is absorbed when oil temp drops, which happens when too much cold stuff is added to not enough oil. I used enough to fill the pan with 1/3 of an inch).
- Use a tea-spoon to quickly scoop and drop dough balls. Since the batter is pretty thick, use your finger to make the drop.
- Alternatively, form balls roughly 1" in diameter, then drop into oil.
- Do not crowd the pan or drop so many that you won't be able to flip them comfortably.
- Fry past golden-brown, about 90 sec. Adjust oil temp if needed.
- Flip using 2 forks.
- Fry the other side.
- Carefully lift each Kolobok out onto racks lined with paper towels, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Repeat until batter runs out, and serve whatever hasn't been stolen from the plate. Top with sour cream or possibly syrup/jams? Should keep well overnight.
I have found that most influences on Ukraine are from are from near countries because they don't want other countries to change their way of life.