Their flag has three stripes going down.
And each color represents...
- The green is next to the flag pole and it represents Irish Roman Catholic
- The white is in the middle and it symbolizes peace and unity amount all Irish people
- And the orange is on the left and it represents Irish protestants
There are many castes in Ireland. One of them is Blarney castle. The Blarney Stone is a block of limestone on the Blarney castle. And it was set in a tower of the castle in 1446.
Saint Patrick is the special Saint of Ireland. He brought the Christian religion more then 1,500 years ago. In March 17 is the feast day of saint Patrick. In Ireland Saint Patricks day is a religious holiday, they go to church and visit family. In the United States it is usually not a religious holiday, most people wear green clothes and March in parades.
Their major launguges are...
Irish is Ireland's official language even though less people in Ireland speak it than English.
88% of the people are Roman Catholic Christians. In fact, Christmas is the most important holiday in Ireland.
Potatoes have been an important food in Ireland for several hundred years. From 1845 to 1848, a plant disease killed Ireland's potatoes, about 1 million people died of starvation or disease. More than 1 million other people left Ireland. Many of these people moved to the United States or Canada to look for food and jobs.
Art music & dance
One kind of Irish dancing is called step dancing. Step dancers jump and kick. They don't move their arms. They dance to drum and fiddle music.
- Ireland's official dog is the Irish wolfhound. It is the tallest of all dog breeds, reaching an average of about 34 inches at the neck. When it is standing on its hind legs, it can reach to be taller than most men.
- In 1919, fighting broke out between Ireland's British rulers and Irish people who wanted Ireland to be free. In 1920,the British government divided Ireland into two parts the northen corner of Ireland became known as Northen Ireland.
- Dublin is the capital of Ireland, Dublin is also the largest city.
- One of Ireland's cliffs rise 700 feet from the Atlantic ocean. They are one of the most popular places for people to visit in Ireland.
- Today, most people live in houses or aparments ,but long ago some of them lived in castles! There are still castles all over Ireland.
My sources were ...
- World book
- kids info bits
- Book: Ireland enchantment of the world, by: Jean F. Blashfield