Red River Newsletter
Dear Parents and Guardians,
It is hard to believe December is upon us, and we will soon be breaking for the holiday vacation. As we prepare for the winter months, in this newsletter you will find Grand Forks Public School’s procedure for cancellations or postponement. Again this year, we will be using the automated calling system to inform families if school would be delayed or cancelled due to severe weather conditions. This automated call will occur between 6:30 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.
With the start of December comes the end of the fall season and the start of winter season for our extracurricular events. The fall season saw a great deal of success for our Roughrider teams. In addition to sports, the Red River Drama Department filled the theater in November with their production “Night of the Living Dead Live” and is preparing for “James and the Giant Peach”, December 6 - 8. The Music Department is also in full swing with their performances and sound great. I hope you have time this winter season to come out and support our students in fine arts and sports.
We have many talented students and they love to see supporters in the seats.
December will fly by and soon it will be January and we will begin to host sophomore conferences. Parents and guardians of sophomores will be notified in December regarding their scheduled appointment for conferences in January and February. All other students will begin registering in February. Counselors will be providing more information as we get closer to the registration dates.
For those junior and senior students enrolled in dual credit classes, registration packets will be available early December. Lake Region College will be at Red River after holiday break to finalize second semester classes. Parents, we encourage you to spend some time talking with your child and his/her counselor about appropriate classes for next year. Watch for information that will be coming to your homes about the registration process.
We look forward to working with you during the upcoming registration process. Thank you for your support during the first semester. If you have any comments, questions, or concerns please do not hesitate to call. Thank you!
Dr. Kristopher Arason, Principal
Mark Your Calendars!!!
In-District Transfer Requests- Incoming 9th Graders
The deadline for 9th Grade In-District Transfer requests for incoming 9th graders is January 10, 2020.
In District Transfer approvals are contingent upon available space in the appropriate grade level or program, satisfactory academic achievement, attendance, and/or behavior. In-District transfers can also be revoked at any time by the school principal or district administration. Transfer forms can be obtained at each school site. Separate applications must be filled out for each student. Separate applications are also required for elementary, middle and high school.
Red River Updates
The 15th Annual Pancake Breakfast at Applebee’s was held on November 2nd. 15 students from Red Rivers DECA chapter showed up to help serve pancakes to the public. A pancake ticket cost $5 and customers are able to get an unlimited amount of pancakes until supplies last. 10% of the proceeds go towards North Dakota Scholarship fund and the remaining 90% goes towards the school’s DECA chapter. The Applebee’s Pancake Breakfast is intended to give students a chance to raise money for their DECA chapter to open up more opportunities.
Renaissance Students of the Month
Congratulations to the students who were nominated by staff members this month. This
program is designed to recognize students for their excellence in classroom attitude,
involvement in school activities, and citizenship. Outstanding academic achievement is not a
requirement, but academic effort is a strong consideration. Students may be honored only one
time during their high school career.